Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Another festivus MIRACLE!
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first set of I9 wheels for my full squish ride and got the I9 enduros. Of course incredible looking, super stiff and great. Except a year later I take them in to have rear hub relubed to protect my investment and my LBS tells me the pawls are all screwed up and I9 has to send them a bunch of new ones to fix.

Sometime before that I bought a second pair for my SS. Got the SS Enduros and about a year later take them in after hearing the pawls sound real loud and again the rear hub is all messed up and this time I9 has to send a new rear hub to fix.

I don't ride that often and live is a pretty dry climate and take care of my stuff. I think 1x per year to have LBS service the hubs should do the trick with the basic amount of wear and teat I put on these wheels and this is the mess I get?

Granted I9 sends parts to LBS w/o question and service is good but sheesh! For something that is supposedly the top of the line it seems they aren't that reliable. Even my LBS agrees and is wondering.

·
greedy
482 Posts
How were the pawls screwed up? Did they slip by the springs? Were they chewed up? Have you talked with I9 yourself? I have a set on my hardtail and my buddy has a set on his mojo. We put a lot of miles on them and I service both of them myself. I've never had a problem with internals.

·
greedy
482 Posts
losjefes said:
Pawls themselves do not typically "screw up". The pawl springs are commonly damaged by mechanics driving the freehub out with too much force.
I'm glad someone else brought this up, because this was also my first thought when I saw this post. The springs are very small and very delicate. Just put the freehub body in one hand and tap tap on the axle with a rubber mallet and it is free. If someone is not expecting the freehub body to pop right out and it hits the ground or the inside of the hubshell, springs may get bent. Personal experience. :madman:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.