Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new bike and was curious if anyone had any thoughts/ideas on locking up your bike when you're at a downhill park if you're grabbing lunch inside, or running to the restroom? I've historically just left my bike on the rack and not worried about it, but wondering if others had some ideas on how to lock up the bike.

I know that any bike lock (especially lightweight ones) can easily be defeated with bolt cutters, screw driver, maybe even less, but I'm mostly looking to prevent opportunistic theft and not have to keep my eye on the bike every second if I'm running inside to pee or whatever or need to keep looking over where the bikes are when I'm eating lunch. A small combination lock with integrated cable that is attached to the frame that I could quickly pull out and around the rack (or even with other bikes in the group) seems like it might do the trick. I could also just carry one in my pocket to use, but not sure if there is something thin that can attach on the bottle cage or clamp to the frame somewhere else.

·
Registered
16,905 Posts
I wouldn’t want to carry a lock around all day. How about locking your lock to the rack instead, then it’ll be there waiting for you when you want to lock up your bike?

I opt for peeing in the woods whenever it’s possible and not inappropriate so my bike isn’t out of my sight.

·
Registered
Keep things simple
429 Posts
An unattended bike is always at risk, but if you must:
Evaluate the vulnerability of where you are leaving it. If the bike gets stolen at a bike park, I suspect a ride away theft. Before you leave it, look around for lurkers maybe with a backpack, with no bike near them. Maybe the thief is on a crappy bike that will be left behind.

How you prevent a ride away theft is up to you. There are hundreds of opinions on locks. Lurkers probably won’t have bolt cutters or a cut off saw unless it’s in hidden in a backpack. I worry more about my bike computer and seatpack.

Realize also an unsuccessful theft could result in simple or nasty damage to your bike depending on your anti-theft measure.

Cheers

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
An unattended bike is always at risk, but if you must:
Evaluate the vulnerability of where you are leaving it. If the bike gets stolen at a bike park, I suspect a ride away theft. Before you leave it, look around for lurkers maybe with a backpack, with no bike near them. Maybe the thief is on a crappy bike that will be left behind.

How you prevent a ride away theft is up to you. There are hundreds of opinions on locks. Lurkers probably won’t have bolt cutters or a cut off saw unless it’s in hidden in a backpack. I worry more about my bike computer and seatpack.

Realize also an unsuccessful theft could result in simple or nasty damage to your bike depending on your anti-theft measure.

Cheers
yea understood. I don't know the mind of a bike thief, but I assume those trolling around bike parks are going to go for the easy score, 1 that no one seems to be watching, and 1 that they can just grab and roll to their car. Just looking for something simple/basic that will deter them and have them move onto an easier bike.

Maybe I should just make sure my homeowner's insurance will cover the both my bike and my sons (not sure what the limit is) and not worry about it.

·
Registered
435 Posts
The idea locking your lock to the rack at the start of the day seems like a good one, and hopefully at a bike park someone setting to with a grinder or bolt croppers would draw attention.

·
Registered
16,905 Posts
A few weeks ago the dude who pulled up next to me left his bike leaning against his pickup in the parking lot while he went inside the building (to buy his lift pass or whatever). I thought that was pretty bold and trusting or maybe dumb of him to do.

·
Registered
16,905 Posts
Evaluate the vulnerability of where you are leaving it. If the bike gets stolen at a bike park, I suspect a ride away theft.
Speaking of which, stopping in at a lodge on the upper mountain somewhere (if there is one) is probably safer since it's not right next to the parking lot. Anyone who grabs your bike up on the mountain would be leaving his. Doesn't mean that couldn't happen but it seems less likely than the opportunistic theft at the base area.

·
Administrator
11,439 Posts

I have always kept one of these on my commuter for that moment when I need to leave my bike outside a convenience store for a few minutes. It is a preventative more than anything else and is easily cut but if you have to step away for a minute or two and set it tight around your frame it will keep your bike slightly safer than being left unlocked. FWIW I accidentally changed the combo on this lock, locked my bike up, went to unlock, realized I was screwed, walked home as I had just stopped around the corner, grabbed my cable cutters, came back to the store, cut the cable, and rode back home. No one stopped me and it took me literally 5 seconds to cut the cable. So secure but only slightly more that just being unlocked.

All the stuff said above is totally relevant. The price point is low for this type of lock and if you are a skier it works double in off season on the slopes.
There are also similar but more expensive versions available in the bike commuting world such as the ottolock which is still small but offers slightly more security than this basic cable lock.

However i also recommend checking out whatever decide upon on the Lock Picking Lawyers youtube channel to see how easily it is defeated.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,020 Posts
do not leave bike unattended. it will be taken sooner or later

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,060 Posts
do not leave bike unattended. it will be taken sooner or later
Exactly this. Go eat somewhere that you can have your bike with you or in close-sight. Pee on the side of the trail.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I would look at the ski/board locks suggested. Use one for boarding. It won't stop anyone with a pair of cutters, but when you're parked with hundreds of other boards/skis the hope is they'll rather grab another than yours.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I've gotten to the point where I don't worry much about leaving a bike on a rack with a hundred others at bike parks. But I did on one occasion, where there were too many non bike riding peeps just hanging around, take my front wheel with me in to grab a couple of post ride drinks. I figured anyone taking a bike from a rack at a bike park will want to ride off with it versus carrying it, so no front wheel would discourage that. Quick and easy.

Reactions: EKram

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Skiers have just left skis and boards leaning on whatever stands the resort uses. I've never seen anyone lock skis but theft seems to be rare. Perhaps the resort is too hard to get to and too cold for dirtbags.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
With the welcome proliferation of outdoor dining I keep my bike with me when I stop for a snack, Still, it would be nice to be able to park without worry. I’m trying to devise a lightweight deterrent that would provide an adjunct to a lock because more effective bike security is definitely needed. Especially with the cost of some of these ebikes.

·
Registered
Keep things simple
429 Posts
I’m trying to devise a lightweight deterrent that would provide an adjunct to a lock because
Something that makes noise. Maybe a cable and when the circuit gets broken by cutting or pulling apart, by a thief, it sounds off.

That style lock used to be used ay stores selling electronics or expensive goods.

Sounds complex and spendy, doesn’t it?

edit for an afterthought

1 - 20 of 24 Posts