Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reviews mention some bent leftside arms due to :madman: crashes. Anyone had any other issues? I'm getting "an offer to good to refuse" :nono: on a new set & was wonderin' bout'em. I'm satisfied w/my Holzfellers right now, but this is a really good deal & it don't hurt to have a bk up set.:ihih:

·
Can't get right...
556 Posts
man w/ one hand said:
Reviews mention some bent leftside arms due to :madman: crashes. Anyone had any other issues? I'm getting "an offer to good to refuse" :nono: on a new set & was wonderin' bout'em. I'm satisfied w/my Holzfellers right now, but this is a really good deal & it don't hurt to have a bk up set.:ihih:
i run a set on both my dh and street bike.no bending problems at all.only slight clicking w/ shimano bb.fixed it w/ raceface bb's.great cranks especially if u can get em cheap.i weight 225 so i really should be bending stuff.....:D

·
Calm like a bomb
3,539 Posts
I spend waay too much time on the internet and haven't seen many posts on bent Saint's. I've got a set on my Highline but haven't put them to much hard riding yet. But then, I've been riding on RF turbines for the past few years and haven't broke them either.
How much do you weigh?
I'm willing to bet it's only real big guys or crazy crashes that are bending these cranks.

On a side note, I think we may have met briefly of up at the park in Hickory a few weeks back. I was in a red wagon, riding a Mt Cycle rumble, wife was on a silver tracer we were talking to a guy in a silver Nissan pickup (who's name escapes me now) that you knew...

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
I have never seen a bent Saint Crank......I have rode mine for 2 1/2 years with no problems....230 with gear on...riding 4 to 5 times a week with drops all over the place.

the only problem is they run to short of screws that hold the non drive side crank on......buy longer ones so the screws don't strip out

BTW 150 bran new at Jenson.....if you can get them under 100 bucks then go for it....

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Czech th' reviews here on mtbr.
http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Crankset/product_124157.shtml

1.Submitted by Gabe Levy a Downhiller from Tel Aviv, Israel
Date Reviewed: 1/17/2006 10:11:25 AM
FavoriteTrail: Manara
Duration Product Used: 1 Year
Price Paid: $280
Purchased At: LBS
Strengths: Easy installation, few parts. Arms are very stiff due to their shape.
Weaknesses: Badly designed arm interface, cheap plastic preload screw.
Low quality pinch bolts
Similar Products Tried: Truvatic Holzfeller, XT
Bike Setup: Big hit dh, monster T
Bottom Line:
The bottom line? If you are a either a heavy rider, or a person who hammers out of the saddle very strongly, you will undo the left arm. Not only is the preload screw made of plastic, but the arm splines are thin aluminium, contacting a hardened steel axle. Needless to say, this isnt very optimal and shreds the aluminium splines very easily.

Second of all, the crank was never made for people who hammer hard, or lead with the left foot. My left crank arm simply came off the axle in middle of a ride, and it was not the cause of bad bike setup nor landing a big drop.

Shimamo could have easily and effortlessly used a larger spline interface such as ISIS drive, or their XTR splines.

The hype around these cranks is simply wrong. It is a badly designed product. period. For less cash one could get a proper safe and reliable crank such as : dmr, profile, or holzfellers.

2. Submitted by Agro THE WOMBAT a Racer from Durango, CO
Date Reviewed: 9/21/2004 9:08:27 PM
FavoriteTrail: happy trail
Duration Product Used: 3 months
Price Paid: $190
Purchased At: Bike Shop
Strengths: The cranks looked pretty cool and if your a poser that is all you need. They are trendy.
Weaknesses: The cranks finish rubs off really easy. The Cap that holds on the crank arm broke after a week of riding. The Cranks bent so much that I couldn't ride the bike. Shimano doesn't warranty there stuff.
Similar Products Tried: Profiles-BENT, Tru Vativ-BENT, Other Shimano models-BENT
Bike Setup: Staats 4x frame, Fox Vanilla RLC, SIC Stem and Bars, King Hubs and Headset, SDG I-FLY Saddle and Post
Bottom Line: If you have a hardtail don't run these cranks because they will bend. On the other side of things if you have a downhill bike you probaly won't bend these cranks. I am disapointed that with all the hype around these cranks they did not live up to the name.

Now... I know anyone can bend a crank arm if they wreck an' it hits :madman: just the right way. So I'm just sayin' here are (2) issues, :skep: only (2) I realize, but it pays to ax.
BTW just over a hundred$$:prft: Cheap cranks won't aren't worth a dime to me if they won't work w/my setup.:nono: I'm only 170lbs so weight prolly won't be an issue, crappy ridin' will be an issue.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
I wouldn't worry about 5 to 10 people.....The one guy bends everything so I dismiss him....the other guy had issues with the short bolt/screws I mentioned in the previous thread.

I ride left foot forward like he said and My cranks don't fall off

like I said before

under 100 go get them......if you have a problem then I will buy them off you.....how's that for a quarantee

·
New project, TBA shortly
1,024 Posts
have used a set for almost a year, now, and haven't had any issues. have bent several other cranks due to the Sunday's low bb height, but the Saints have been rock solid and are still straight. anybody who's crank arms "fall off" isn't taking care of their bike properly, or didn't have them set up correctly to begin with. the screw is tightened so its finger-tight (the tool is a plastic hex tool so that you can't overtighten it and crush the bearings), and then the pinch-bolts are tightened. zero issues, and have had the cranks on and off several times when fine-tuning the chainguide over the past several months.

i also ride with my left foot back, so it usually ends up lower than the front, causing it to hit more often. zero issues with bending or stripping pedal threads.

:thumbsup:

·
Calm like a bomb
3,539 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that atleast some of the cranks in the reviews were installed incorrectly. I noticed that it's very possible to not push the drive side all the way through and end up grabbing too little on the non-drive side. The plasitc cap is nothing more than a safetly device and a guide to make sure the arms are pressed all the way on. It should never be torqued. The non-drive side crank arm bolts don't need a ton of torque either, 106-132 in-lbs.

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cranks should be here by Fri. so I'll have one hand experience,...er, I mean 1st hand experience w/them. Thanks for th' insight.

G

·
Having never owned them, I have never had any problems what so ever.....

I am on here alot and have never read of any problems about bending/ falling off saint cranks, though I have heard about bolt issues.....

Go for them

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
i bought mine for a little under retail price....i have had issues with them since i put them on. the pinch bolts strip easily, which wouldn't usually be a problem but i barely tightened them and they stripped. i have had problems with them on both of the arms...the cranks also make a lot of noise. i don't know how to stop it because i have greased them and everything and just can't get them to stop.

besides these things...they are light and stiff and look better then anything on the market IMO. but those issues are enough to make me think they aren't worth the money.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.