Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After years of riding without incident I found a tick on me the other day (2 actually). One was a bigger tick, about the size of a small fly - I found that one in my hair and I don't think I was bitten. I found the other one on my leg, and it was much much smaller - I pulled it off with tweezers and have both of them saved in a container.

I live in NJ and Lyme disease is pretty common, so I guess my question is what are the chances that I'll contract it? Any experiences? I have a Dr appointment in a couple of days to get checked out, I guess I'm just looking for a heads up as to what I should expect.

Thanks

·
Registered
335 Posts
From what i've read they need to be burrowed in your skin for over 24 hrs to contact the disease, do you know how long it was under your skin? And then it seems that the disease is easily treated anymore, and if you have it you should initially get a bullseye shapped rash to let you know about it.

good luck

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
You don’t have anything to worry about.

It takes something like 12 hours or so (with the tick embedded) to be infected w/ Lyme disease assuming that the tick in question is even infected. You can hasten this time frame if you kill the tick w/ a hot needle (as some do) or crush its body before removing the head --this makes the tick disgorge its stomach contents into you. If the tick is just on you there's nothing to do but brush it off. If it's biting you, remove it w/ the tweezers by grabbing its head, not body. If I remember right it's the Deer ticks that are carriers, not the dog ticks. It's easy to tell the adults apart but it's a little confusing telling the nymphs apart. You can look up pictures of both on the internet and see how they compare to what you have.

There’s really nothing the doc can or will do for you at this point other than give you information. The Lyme disease test can too easily give you false positives so they don’t bother. They wait 1-2 weeks (3 to 30 days on the extreme) to see if a bulls-eye rash develops around the bite, then they treat you w/ antibios. The funny thing is that not all people develop this rash that come down w/ Lyme disease… actually, that probably isn’t that funny.

If you don’t already, coat yourself in DEET when riding. The stuff is nasty, but it’s better than Lyme disease or West Nile. On the plus side recent studies have shown DEET to be even safer than previously thought. They lowered the age that you can start using the stuff. And yes, DEET can ruin synthetics, but I'd rather buy some new riding clothes once or twice a year than chance Lyme or West Nile. The only thing I made sure DEET doesn't get on, is my helmet since this would compromise it's integrity.

·
suck it trebeK
418 Posts
I hear a lot of back and forth discussion on whether Deet is good for you or not: It causes cancer, it doesn't...It does, it doesn't. Somehow the thought of absorbing chemicals through my pores all the time doesn't seem like a good thing, but I guess lyme disease and west nile is no good either. Guess you have to choose the lesser of two evils...

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
sstaurus said:
I hear a lot of back and forth discussion on whether Deet is good for you or not: It causes cancer, it doesn't...It does, it doesn't. Somehow the thought of absorbing chemicals through my pores all the time doesn't seem like a good thing, but I guess lyme disease and west nile is no good either. Guess you have to choose the lesser of two evils...
Yeah, at this point it's definitely a choice between the less of two evils. There is no proof that this stuff causes cancer in Humans. I think there might have been an established link between mice/rats and DEET. But these guys were fed (not sprayed) large amounts on a daily basis for their entire life. Being force fed large quantities of anything daily for a lifetime will do something to kill you.

I have a feeling that 40 years from now, they'll say that this is the worse stuff to be used since DDT, but for now it's better than disease via insects.

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
In oklahoma I simply didn't ride in the summer in any place that had vegitation that stuck up and over the trail, when you think about it, MOST trails are like this so it really limited me to mostly fireroads and a couple other places. The few times that I did try to ride normal trails, I'd get 3 or so ticks from just a couple-hundred foot section. It was just not worth it. There are certain times back there where it's just horrible, and others where it is fine.

·
Gittyup!
528 Posts
I was unfortunate enought to find...

a hitchkiker of a tick on me the weekend before last. 20 years of being in the woods, and never had a tick on me, until now... and what a first tick it was. Be glad you found yours where you did. Let's just say mine was in a place that no male would EVER want to find a tick.

During my ride I felt a slight burning sensation in the jewel area. I thought that maybe it was chaffing from my shorts or something, and continued to enjoy the 20 miles of singletrack in front of me. The sensation was brief, and subsided within a few minutes. Upon returning home, I decided to have a look down under and see what the previous peculiar sensation was about. Needless to say, I was horrified at what I found. That little b*stard had already made a nice warm home, and was burrowing to China as far as he was concerned. You have no idea of the psychological trauma that was inflicted in that moment! Thank God for broadband internet that allowed me to quickly find the correct procedures for tick removal as Locoman noted. After successfully removing the deviant (not without a good deal of discomfort) and placing him in a holding jar in case testing was needed in the future, I proceeded to scour the 'net for info on Lyme disease and other tick borne disease, and pretty much found what Locoman described... no need for immediate panic. I called the doc and they said the same thing. Keep an eye out for the rash and let us know if you see anything in the next few weeks. Still no bullseye rash after 2 weeks, but I'm keeping an eye on it. Not a pleasant experience at all. Ticks are dirty little creatures indeed. I was sore for a few days, but none the worse for wear now... except for semi-regular panic attacks in the middle of the night when I feel things crawling all over my body!

Judge Smails said:
After years of riding without incident I found a tick on me the other day (2 actually). One was a bigger tick, about the size of a small fly - I found that one in my hair and I don't think I was bitten. I found the other one on my leg, and it was much much smaller - I pulled it off with tweezers and have both of them saved in a container.

I live in NJ and Lyme disease is pretty common, so I guess my question is what are the chances that I'll contract it? Any experiences? I have a Dr appointment in a couple of days to get checked out, I guess I'm just looking for a heads up as to what I should expect.

Thanks

·
Tear it all out!
7,739 Posts
I got one riding in the Hood River a couple of weeks ago. I removed it, and went to the Dr. the next morning. The tick could have been there from up to 3 days to about 12 hours.

They did give me a perscription for an antibiotic as a prevention from a bacterial infection.

·
Tear it all out!
7,739 Posts
LOL! You described my experience almost exactly, other than I didn't experience any pain at any point.

I only discoved the tick when I was getting undressed to go to bed, and found a lump that I didn't have before.

So far it seems to be healing.

Doing home surgery with a sewing needle, make up tweezers and a swiss army knife is a little weird.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Nothing to worry about... deer ticks are rare

From what you described, there is little chance you're gonna get Lyme's disease from that kind of tick. Deer ticks are the one's associated with Lyme's disease and they are not as common... if you can't remember what they look like (mostly red), just remember that they are much smaller than "regular" ticks (maybe 1/3-1/4 the size) and should be just slightly bigger than the head of a pin.

I live in Minnesota and when we are not swatting mesquitos & black flies, we are watching for ticks (regular and deer varieties). I make a point to check for them anytime I emerge from trails where my body (especially legs) come in contact with vegetation. At a minimum, if you check every hour or two, you're likely to catch them still searching for a home and they can just be brushed off. When you stand still, you'll feel a slight itch when they are on the move. Trust me, it doesn't creep you out nearly as bad if you know you're going to catch them before they burrow their head down into your skin.

BTW: even in places like MN where we are always on the lookout, they are still pretty rare. I've only picked up 2-3 in the past 5 years of riding around here. Have fun and don't sweat this issue... you've probably got a better chance of getting hurt on a bad fall.

·
Chatham NJ
477 Posts
SLinBend said:
a hitchkiker of a tick on me the weekend before last. 20 years of being in the woods, and never had a tick on me, until now... and what a first tick it was. Be glad you found yours where you did. Let's just say mine was in a place that no male would EVER want to find a tick.

During my ride I felt a slight burning sensation in the jewel area. I thought that maybe it was chaffing from my shorts or something, and continued to enjoy the 20 miles of singletrack in front of me. The sensation was brief, and subsided within a few minutes. Upon returning home, I decided to have a look down under and see what the previous peculiar sensation was about. Needless to say, I was horrified at what I found. That little b*stard had already made a nice warm home, and was burrowing to China as far as he was concerned. You have no idea of the psychological trauma that was inflicted in that moment! Thank God for broadband internet that allowed me to quickly find the correct procedures for tick removal as Locoman noted. After successfully removing the deviant (not without a good deal of discomfort) and placing him in a holding jar in case testing was needed in the future, I proceeded to scour the 'net for info on Lyme disease and other tick borne disease, and pretty much found what Locoman described... no need for immediate panic. I called the doc and they said the same thing. Keep an eye out for the rash and let us know if you see anything in the next few weeks. Still no bullseye rash after 2 weeks, but I'm keeping an eye on it. Not a pleasant experience at all. Ticks are dirty little creatures indeed. I was sore for a few days, but none the worse for wear now... except for semi-regular panic attacks in the middle of the night when I feel things crawling all over my body!
A year ago when I was camping I found a tick in the same place. I FLIPPED out. It wasnt burrowed in, but it was holding on pretty damn hard with its teeth. Ugg. I hate ticks, just the thought of them burrowing into you is nasty.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Big K said:
From what you described, there is little chance you're gonna get Lyme's disease from that kind of tick. Deer ticks are the one's associated with Lyme's disease and they are not as common... if you can't remember what they look like (mostly red), just remember that they are much smaller than "regular" ticks (maybe 1/3-1/4 the size) and should be just slightly bigger than the head of a pin.

I live in Minnesota and when we are not swatting mesquitos & black flies, we are watching for ticks (regular and deer varieties). I make a point to check for them anytime I emerge from trails where my body (especially legs) come in contact with vegetation. At a minimum, if you check every hour or two, you're likely to catch them still searching for a home and they can just be brushed off. When you stand still, you'll feel a slight itch when they are on the move. Trust me, it doesn't creep you out nearly as bad if you know you're going to catch them before they burrow their head down into your skin.

BTW: even in places like MN where we are always on the lookout, they are still pretty rare. I've only picked up 2-3 in the past 5 years of riding around here. Have fun and don't sweat this issue... you've probably got a better chance of getting hurt on a bad fall.
i live in MN too, and totaly agree with what Big K said in his post it was pretty much what i was going to post but he beat me to it. i moved a couple of years ago to more rural part of MN and then began to get ticks not always when i'm riding but just working in the yard (it sbig and not all lawn) and i'd say probably a total of 15-20 in a few years but none have been deer ticks, which like he said are about the size of a pins head, but the wood ticks are much more common and are bigger. after going on a ride or being in a spot where there may be ticks the easiest way to find them is look at you self first then also take a shower and as you are washing yourself its easrier to feel the little buggers than it is to see them. once you feel them and now were they are its easier to get rid of them. just put vasaline over them if they burried themselves b/c it will suffocate them and make them back out of you which makes it easier for you to grab them and pull them off w/ a tweezers. then grab some tape and put the little infidell on it and fold lit over on them.

·
Registered
121 Posts
oh yea also if you get bit by a deer tick (the small ones that can carry lime disease) and you get it out watch the spot were it bit you if it was infected then lots of time it will make like a red ring shape around a whitish area where the bite was. or if you didn't know you got bit and you see one of these "targets" on you and you were out where possibly a tick could have gotten you then go to the doctor. better to be safe than sorry. i've never been to the doc for a tick (my moms a nurse though) and i'm fine... ...i think

·
Am I getting too bulky?
800 Posts
I've had Lyme disease twice now. What hte hell am I goona do? Not go into the woods? fugedaboudit

The first time I got my arse kicked. I was on my back, unable to move for a couple of days before the antibiotics did their thing, and then the he second time, I took a couple of doeses of Doxi within 48 hours of getting bitten, and I was fine.

I gotta tell you, going to the doctor foir this is a collosal waste of time. Just tell them your symptoms, and that you have the bullseye rash, and get them to call in the prescription. If you wait for them to test whatever it is they test, and you actualy have lyme disease, you are gonna be toast.

If it's just a regular old tick, just get rid of it, and don't worry about it. Ticks are a fact of life. Just pull them out, then drink a beer till the heebee jeebees go away.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.