Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any insight?
Does not seem to be alot of info on them.
Are they poor quality?

I was told they are made in the same factory as White Bros carbon forks.

·
Mudder
272 Posts
I dont think they're made in the same factory, they're made by J & B distributors. It's nice I haven't heard any complaints from them and I had one. I know a lot of people who have them and love them. But after switching from rigid to a front shock, I don't want to go back.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've been using mine for about a year on my Salsa El Mar and have had no issues whatsoever. For the money, they are great.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
slalomnorth65 said:
I dont think they're made in the same factory, they're made by J & B distributors.
When I was looking at my local shop the J&B rep was in the shop.
He was the one that gave me the information that both forks are made in the same factory when I was inquiring about the J&B Black Ops

·
wot no bike?
1,056 Posts
tostudent said:
When I was looking at my local shop the J&B rep was in the shop.
He was the one that gave me the information that both forks are made in the same factory when I was inquiring about the J&B Black Ops
They are, they're the same fork.

·
Registered
129 Posts
good fork

Yes, same as White Bros, and several other brands.

Been riding mine for about 3 years now. Great fork. Any concern about riding a carbon rigid fork offroad wore off after just a few rides. Compared to a Karate Monkey fork, it was a HUGE improvement. Much more compliant, much lighter.

But it's still a rigid fork, and will beat you up on really rough trails.

All that being said, I love mine and wouldn't hesitate to buy another Black Ops fork.

·
Fat & Single
4,175 Posts
Shimanos - PRO components XCR 29er are another that are the same as the WB .

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey thanks for the replys.
No use spending the extra cash on the White Bros.

Really just looking to simplify my rig.
If I run carbon I can ditch my Reba and no more worries about leaky forks.

Considering the Niner carb fork also.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I am not so sure about that because....

boomn said:
This one from Bikeman appears to be the same as well
This fork has a 200 lb rider weight limit. The Black Ops fork has a much higher (300 lbs if I remember right) weight limit. I actually called the manufacturer
A while back and was told that.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Looking to go to the On One Carbon 29er forks, trying to talk myself out of it though, do Carbon forks really make a big difference, got the On One steel fork currently.

Doesn't look as nice I'll admit, but no weight limit, can take 203mm rotors and they have the G2 offset which should suite the 29er wheel nicely in theory.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Check out the eXotic forks (eBay)- I've had one of those and one of the Origin 8's. Same exact fork for much less money.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
edouble said:
This fork has a 200 lb rider weight limit. The Black Ops fork has a much higher (300 lbs if I remember right) weight limit. I actually called the manufacturer
A while back and was told that.
thanks, missed that the first time. However manufacturers build to different specs for different customers all the time, so it could still be made by the same people

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've always run rigid (always will at least until I don't), and I switched to one about 2 months ago, and I'm glad I did. I hadn't had it on the trail, but I took it out on Sunday to some pretty hairy trail, and then I took it out on Tuesday to some pretty varied trail (flowy, highly-technical, rocky, dirty, bendy, hilly, flat) and it performed flawlessly. I was running my tires pretty low. The tires and the fork made the rough stuff much smoother. I have been riding this trail for 35 years, and this fork has changed it for me. I would recommend this fork.

I'm looking for one to put on my Origin 8 Scout 29er frame.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Had one for 3 months. I might be the only negative voice here. I had a fair amount of shudder that I could not get rid of whenever braking occured. Front, back... didn't matter. Tried a lot of different things. Maybe I got a bad fork? Who knows. I thought it was a little too noodle-ish for my tastes.

Ended up with a Salsa Cromoto Grande. Weighs about the same, tracks better and doesn't noodle.

·
wot no bike?
1,056 Posts
DocAltie said:
Ended up with a Salsa Cromoto Grande. Weighs about the same, tracks better and doesn't noodle.
To be fair and just for clarity I think that fork weighs more than 3/4 pound more than the Origin-8.

·
Registered
176 Posts
cro-moto v origin 8 carbon

it's strange, because those are the 2 forks i ride on my 29ers.

the salsa is around 1800g v 800 (a little less, i think).

i like them both, but they don't have similar rides at all, and the salsa is 1kg heavier (that's 2.2 lbs, isn't it?).

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Yep it is.

Is the Carbon noticeably more compliant ?? still can't decide whether to get the On One Carbons for my bike, compared to the On One CroMo's.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
expostdelirium said:
it's strange, because those are the 2 forks i ride on my 29ers.

the salsa is around 1800g v 800 (a little less, i think).

i like them both, but they don't have similar rides at all, and the salsa is 1kg heavier (that's 2.2 lbs, isn't it?).
claimed weight for the Salsa 29er fork is 1080g
claimed weight for the Origin8 is 720g

difference of 360g, or just over 3/4 lb

1 - 20 of 24 Posts