Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got all set to buy a bike from Jack's Cycling Store in Augusta, ME. They listed their bikes on EBAY. Then set up an Ebay transaction where I Moneygram funds to a guy in San Jose, CA who is an EBAY moneygram representative. After I recieve the bike, Ebay sends the money to Jacks Cycling...

Is this legit? Does anyone have experience purchasing with Jack's? Or with the "ebay safe moneygram transaction" method?

Thanks.

·
beer thief
4,931 Posts
That seems like a hassle, but maybe it's fine. Have you called Jack's to talk to them? I'd prefer to deal directly with the shop and not be sending money to the west coast for a bike in the east.

Never heard of Jack's, can't help there. Can't find it on Google either. This does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Burrows said:
I got all set to buy a bike from Jack's Cycling Store in Augusta, ME. They listed their bikes on EBAY. Then set up an Ebay transaction where I Moneygram funds to a guy in San Jose, CA who is an EBAY moneygram representative. After I recieve the bike, Ebay sends the money to Jacks Cycling...

Is this legit? Does anyone have experience purchasing with Jack's? Or with the "ebay safe moneygram transaction" method?

Thanks.
I'd recommend not doing it. I think this same bunch listed bikes under another name, same city, state a while back. Deals seemed too good to be true. Probably a scam.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After looking into this more, I'm almost positive it's a scam. Deal seemed to good to be true. This morning all this "shop's" listings are gone from Ebay. Phone gets me an answering machine everytime. Also the email sent to me for payment, supposedly from Ebay, does not appear in my Ebay account as it should. Glad I caught this before I sent $$$.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I tried Jacks

I tried to purchase a bike from Jacks this past Monday 22 Jan 2007, after going through they're ordering process which included me giving them a credit card no., I rec'd an e-mail from them telling me they are not taking credit cards at this moment and all sales are done through e-bay. I e-mailed them back asking if payment would be PayPal or credit card, they did not respond to that particular question. They want all my info and e-bay account no.(which I don't have) and they will get in touch with e-bay to start the transaction. Well needless to say i'm not going to start an e-bay account to use only once. I was told about this website/bike store from a local bike shop here in Socal. I was skeptical at first because the prices were too good to be true. I figured they had maybe bought out another bike shop's inventory and just needed to blow the stuff out the door at any price. I was looking for a Rocky Mountain Slayer and the price and picture seemed like it was for a 2006 model which is okay by me, but out of curiosity I e-mailed for a price on a 2007 and their reply was "all our prices are on the website", thats fine and dandy but where are the pics of the 2007's? Well I still have'nt got a charge on my credit card but I am checking everyday. The local bike shop I have been in touch with has a customer who is already set up on e-bay to purchase and sent them his info and has not heard anything from them in 2 1/2 weeks. Everytime you call, a recorded message comes on telling you they are extremely busy and to call back later. Also, they are NOT an authorized Rocky Mountain or Ellsworth dealer. Where it stands now is, my local Rocky Mountain dealer is going to contact his factory sales rep and see whats up. Also he has a customer who is a computer geek who checked into the website and found that it is not a secure website and that it is possibly run out of the country. I will keep you updated when I find out more info.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am an eBay member and just saw 200 new bike listings (from the same seller) for high quality bikes and brands at prices that seemed too good to be true. They tell you to contact them via email directly which I did and then I got an auto-reply telling me how to proceed. It was then that they identify themselves as Jack's Cycling Store. Red flags went off because their eBay ID indicated they have never yet completed an eBay transaction (so no negative or positive feedback from buyers) and of course the prices appear too good to be true. I then Googled them and found this chat thread. I am hoping somebody can validate them so I can get a great bike at a great deal but somehow I doubt that will happen.

·
Registered
804 Posts
This is a scam!!!!!!! 100%
Do you think a legit bike shop would let the phone go unanswered?!?! Would you buy an expensive item through ebay from someone who has NO FEEDBACK?!?! For those who gave credit card information to them, call your credit card company asap!!!!!

If it seems WAY too good to be true.............IT IS!!!!!! Please people, smarten up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is a genuine 100% scam, do not be fooled. Redflags indicating it is a scam in my opinion:

1.) Being a software geek (for a living) I researched the companies website (jacks-bikes.com) it was registered through a private domain registration so you can't even see where it is from. Most likely out of country and used this "private" service to hide that fact.
2.) I too noticed that their eBay listing was gone the next day.
3.) I also remember that they specifically asked not to send a message by way of eBay (a standard eBay tool to contact sellers) because there account was over its quota.
4.) All of the pictures and descriptions of the 2006 bikes on the site are in fact 2007 models.
5.) An extensive search of Google and YellowPages.com did not return any such listing for the city/state listed on the website.

Anyway, here is the reply email that I got:

************************Start of e-mail chain******************

Subject: Re: Stuntjumper FSR Pro
Date: January 26, 2007 4:14:37 PM PST
To:

Please contact us via email if you can't get through the phone.

Sean Mac Millan <********@mac.com> wrote:
I am trying to call you right now to buy a bike and keep getting
voicemail. How can I contact you by telephone?

Thanks,
Sean

On Jan 26, 2007, at 3:16 PM, Jack's Cycling Store wrote:

Dear customer,

Thank you for your interest in our bikes. THIS IS A STOCK LIMIT
OFFER!!! We give this discount because we are liquidating the 2006
stock.

Please do not bid on eBay. This is not an auction. This is a fixed
price sale through eBay.

We have all sizes and colors available on stock right now with this
model.

The buy it now price for the complete bike is listed on our website.
In this price all shipment costs are included. We ship the bike fully
assembled.

We would like to make a safe transaction through eBay for our both
protection. We are registered with their protection program
department and they will handle the transaction. Your funds are 100%
insured by eBay until you will receive and inspect the bike and we are
sure that we receive your payment after you confirm and inspect the
bike. You have 3 days from the time you receive the bike to inspect it
and to decide if you want to keep it or not. If you are not satisfied
with it, you will send the bike to us (at our cost) and eBay will
fully refund you.

For shipment we use UPS Air Service and if you buy it now, we will
support all shipment costs. In maximum 5 days the bike will arrive at
your door.

If you decide to buy it now, please email us imediately with the
following details:

- COMPLETE BIKE MODEL (exactly as it writes on our website) :
- BIKE's SIZE AND COLOR :
- YOUR FULL NAME :
- YOUR FULL ADDRESS :
- YOUR PHONE NUMBER :
- YOUR EBAY USER ID:

and we will contact eBay to start the transaction.

You can check our website at www.jacks-bikes.com

We look forward for your reply,

Thomas Harris,
Sales Dep.,
Jack's Cycling Store,
address: 375 Western Ave., Augusta, ME, 04330-6013, USA
toll free number: 888-893-8958
email: [email protected]
--
Have a nice ride!

************************End of e-mail chain******************

Friends, the old saying "If it looks to good to be true it probably is" holds true again. Do not be suckered! Luckily I was not and I hope that nobody else will fall victim to their scam.

Later!

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
funny how their 2006 liquidation includes 2007 specialized enduro sl (wasnt available in 06)
that lists for $7100, if you can even find one. they want $2300 and have several in stock

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thats funny, I am from Bangor ME about an hr north of Augusta and i can tell you there is no place in Augusta ME let alone @ 375 Western Ave that is jacks cycling store. There is one bike shop in Augusta ME and its not Jacks Cycling. Their prices are to good to be true. Some dont even make sense. High end carbon full suspension stumpjumpers are quite a bit less then a specialized comp hard tail with lx components. That right there is a red flad to me. They have no idea how to price these bikes out because they dont know anything about them because they are scam artists. :nono:

Chris

·
Registered
13 Posts
ya, i too live in bangor and there is no cycle shop in augusta named Jacks. The only place that even sells bicycles is acadia outfitters. This is an absolute and outright scam, and should be avoided at all costs. I feel sort of sorry for anyone who got screwed, but dude, come on.....waaaaaaaaaaaay to good to be true.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Abbikes.com Scam

Now they're called Anthony Bradford Bike Shop at abbikes.com

Using same pictures, same story.

Just did a search of Trek, Rocky Mountain etc., authorised dealers to confirm they are bogus, and searched here for scams.....

Damn it. I want my half price Trek 8500 and I WANT IT NOW!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
WARNING WWW.ABBIKES.COM SCAM............hi just to confirm to anyone and everyone out there abbikes are 100% cowboys.last week i got a flight from the uk to madrid spain as i payed $1800 for a bike and being a numb nut that i am, i thought i would buy a couple of bikes off them as their prices were so cheap.not even waiting for the first bike to arrive. i informed abbikes of my plans and they were more that happy to pick me up from the hotel in madrid to take me to their shop (knowing i had £6000 cash on me). having a wife with abit more sense than myself, she adviced me to make my own arrangements to get to the shop. via a taxi . the driver followed the address i give him and i ended up in a residental area but NO SHOP. I am abit concerned what might have happened if i agreed for someone to pick me up from the hotel knowing there was no bike shop to take me to, maybe i should just be grateful i only lost a couple of grand, for all i know i may not have seen christmas if i had that lift; as you never know whos out there and what might have been.........I HOPE NOBODY ELSE FALLS FOR THE SAME SCAM AS I DID..AND I THOUGHT I WAS QUITE WORLDLY..MUPPET....TAKE CARE PEOPLE.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Read their feedback page.

Read Ykon's feedback page and then read the feedback page on IBEX bikes. Not only can they not price bikes correctly, but they cannot even write fake feedbacks. They need to copy it from a well-known (and respected) on-line dealer only renaming the bike models mentioned.

·
Registered
2 Posts
www.abbike.com..........

o bugger i wish i knew about the ykon and ibex web sites. how did you get to find out about the connection between abbikes and the other two sites. i only wish i knew this a week ago,i would have not lost my cash and got a flight to spain, it wasn't even sunny there. thanks for your help on this matter,its much appreciated. abbikes are still in contact me via e-mail asking for my bank account details to replace my money,as i imformed them i have been in contact with the metropolitan police.don't know what to do? any ideas.thanks steve

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.