Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I know it's not a mountain bike, but I just ordered an '07 X-Ray Race!...If I did not already own 2 mountain bikes, I'd look into an Ibex mtb (love the Trophy Pro)...but I figure I'll end up pointing the new X-Ray towards some singletrack, so it counts as a mountain bike! :D

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
I have never gotten into the Cyclocross thing probibly because im not lacking the endurance needed for something that extream. I have a friend that races Cyclocross & it's amazing to watch.

I can say the Ibex frame are solid & can take a beating. I have a Asta that is set up more for AM type riding instead of XC. My son jumps with it in our back yard & i have been taking it on rides i normally use my Versus Blitz for & the Asta is holding up very well & is solid. I dont feel you would have to wory about the strength of the frame, Ibex bikes are very well built. :)

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Old Roadie Here...

Yo GregC,
Dogs right on the money about the IBEX frame-set..:thumbsup:
But, you asked for thoughts on the complete bike, so here's mine FWIW..:lol:

Frame: Double-Butted 6061 Aluminum..............Awesome:D (If its at all like their MtB frames)
Fork: EVO Carbon Fiber .................................Awesome:D
Shifters: Shimano 105 STI - (2x10-speed).........Good (Heavy)
Front Derailleur: Shimano 105..........................Good (Heavy)
Rear Derailleur: Shimano 105...........................Good (Heavy)
Crankset: TruVativ Elita CX Double....................TV not famous for there road gear
Cassette: Shimano 105 - 12-25T (10-spd)..........Good (Heavy)
Chain: Shimano 105.........................................Sucks
Brakes: Avid Shorty 4 Cantilever........................Good
Levers: 105 w/ Cane Creek Cross-Tops..............Fair (Up-grade to DA)
Rims: Sun ME14A...........................................Good
Hubs: Formula.................................................Good-Fair
Tires: Ritchey SpeedMax Pro...........................Good
Cockpit Set: Ritchey Comp..............................Good (Heavy)
Saddle: IBEX RoadSport...................................Not a clue
Pedals: Shimano M520 Clipless........................Boat Anchors (Up-grade to Egg's)

19#? Not bad..:D 17#, much better, With a few Up-grades the X-Ray Race would be truly race worthy...:smilewinkgrin:

I wouldnt rush out and spend a load of cash.....$$$:nono:$$$ .........
But the Levers and Pedals would be a must for myself..:yesnod: I ran the 105 group and notice the increase in performance when I up-graded to DURA-ACE...its like night and day..:cornut::D

Let us know if you order one.. Good Luck!!!:D

Jake Pay.POWERED by SRAM Here..:ihih::yesnod::smilewinkgrin::winker::lol:..:prft::ciappa: :lol:

.........:....:rant: ...DURA-ACE..:thumbsup:..RULEs the ROADs.....:band:............... :headphones::lol:..

EDIT: I'd buy an X-Ray if I was still into CC...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pay Here said:
I wouldnt rush out and spend a load of cashCC..
Sound advice...one thing I've learned from mountain biking is to let the stock stuff break and then upgrade! The Shimano pedals are coming off as soon as I get the bike since I run Eggbeaters on my other bikes... the only thing I'll look into right away as far as upgrades is a good set of road wheels/tires as my wife wants to use the bike to try sprint triathlons (she and I are about the same height...ride the same size bike, etc... it's like when one of us gets a new bike, we both do! :D ). Also, I'll be using the bike as a commuter (1-2x per week) and trainer (along with racing in the fall/winter) so I don't really mind the heavier 105 stuff...as long as it's durable!

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
:rant: CC wheelsets are strong and not to HEAVY..Iam running the AEROHEATs on my IBEX XC MTB..:D Only have had to true the rear once in 2yrs of off roading..:thumbsup:

Here's the link to the Road version: http://www.canecreek.com/volos_ti.html A good buddy of mine is running Volos team issues on his Fuji Team CC and he's totally stoked..:cornut::D

The 105 drive-train is durable..but the shifter/levers are questionable??? Thats why I mentioned the DA levers..The quality of the shifter is what makes the the statement in a race..The deraillure is on the dumb end of the cable, it will only do what the shifter says..:lol::lol:

Good luck and enjoy..:)

Jake Pay,POWERED by SRAM Here..:ihih::yesnod::smilewinkgrin::winker::lol:,,, :rant: ..XO..ROCKs..:prft::ciappa: :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.