Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Kiran M said:
what do you think is superior?
Just about anything current from a mainstream mfg....

The super 8 was not bad, for what it was.....but it is a 10-12 year old design, and has been out of production for 5 or 6 years....

Geometry has changed SIGNIFICANTLY in that time (and even so in the last year or two in DH)....true DH/FR part standards have been put in place (150 rear...83mm bb....1.5 headsets). Manufacturing techniques have changed/improved (milling/relieving, forging, complex tube manipulation/hydroforming)...

So compared to something similar (in the most basic sense..High single pivot) and current like a Morewood or Orange....the Super 8 has a tall BB, steep head angle, it is heavy, and flexible....and it is aluminum and has (guessing) five years worth of acumulated fatigue....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
a little off topic, but what do you guys think about the Kona stab deluxe? this S8 was supposed to be a bike to ride temporarily between now and when the next batch of stab deluxes come in...

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
It is another bike.....could be perfect for one rider and the worst option for another. Have you ridden one? Why do you want this bike? Seems like you are picking bikes for a non-obvious reason/connection. There are many great bikes out there....I find it a bit strange to wait for a bike as mass produced/widely distributed as a Kona (nothing against Kona, they are just not small production boutique bikes)

If you are looking for feedback for the 'right bike' , it would be better if you described as best (and honestly) your ability, age, size/weight, riding style, what you have ridden and liked/did not like about it (them)....

And what type of riding you intend to do and what you want your bike to do and no tdo for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i had a super 8 as my first bike. it was perfect for me. it took me from a low level beginner to a higher level sport rider in about a year. i didnt do much maintenance, and thrashed the crap out of it. its definately a work horse. i never cracked any part of the swingarm like everyone says, and i only got rid of it 6 months ago. it was a 2002, so it was 6 years old, and still going strong. i ride a much better bike now (06 turner dhr), but the super 8 will always be a great bike in my mind

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.