Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
robertg said:
I want to try a coil shock on my bike...
You probably don't, unless the Romic has position sensitive damping that squeezes down at the end of the stroke, or you can get a dual rate spring for some end-of-stroke ramp-up.

True that the 2003 Hollowpoint Sport shipped with a Fox Vanilla coil, but even the "almost linear" spring rate of the Fox Float AVA was no match for the dw-link, and I frequently bottomed it out -- I imagine a straight-rate coil would be even more of a problem.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
There is a guy over on Ridemonkey.com that was using a Romic on his 2004 Hollowpoint for a while - I think it performed okay for him. But I think he got a 7Point and thus went back to putting an air fork on his Hollowpoint to lighten it up a bit.

I think is username is -BB- over on Ridemonkey.com - you might want to send him a message to get his thoughts on a Romic on a Hollowpoint.

Hope this helps.

Mark

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm,

Thanks Nate. I spoke with IH and they told me that they have tried riding with Romics and liked it a lot (one guy there has HP with a Romic set up). They also told me that they tried Vanilla R's on their bikes as well. They also told me they went with air shocks mainly for weight reasons. I am a heavy guy (about 230lbs with Camelbak ready to ride), and was assuming that the coil would be more durable than an air shock for my fat butt. Or maybe I just want to be different (possibly a combination of both). Any more input you have Nate would be very appreciated. Thanks.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Well, if BB is riding one, definitely PM him for his input. I haven't met him, but we ride some of the same trails and the guy clearly knows his bike.

I'm surprised everyone is liking their coils so much, but what I've all along assumed to be the fairly flat spring rate of my AVA could in fact have been a quirk of the ProPedal damping -- that may have to remain a mystery.

I was weighing approximately 210 pounds (+ gear) while riding this particular setup and was frustrated almost from the start. Changing back to my AD12 was a blessing.

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
Speedub.Nate said:
Well, if BB is riding one, definitely PM him for his input. I haven't met him, but we ride some of the same trails and the guy clearly knows his bike.

I'm surprised everyone is liking their coils so much, but what I've all along assumed to be the fairly flat spring rate of my AVA could in fact have been a quirk of the ProPedal damping -- that may have to remain a mystery.

I was weighing approximately 210 pounds (+ gear) while riding this particular setup and was frustrated almost from the start. Changing back to my AD12 was a blessing.
Nate - my AVA (nonpropedal) goes through it's travel pretty damned easily as well so I think it's the shock and not your particular model.

I'm anxious to see how the AD12 compares. It it works better awesome, if not, then I'll put the AVA on and have a backup shock. but you know your shiznit pretty damned well methinks so I'm confident that the AD12 will rock on my bike.

·
Registered
335 Posts
MMcG said:
There is a guy over on Ridemonkey.com that was using a Romic on his 2004 Hollowpoint for a while - I think it performed okay for him. But I think he got a 7Point and thus went back to putting an air fork on his Hollowpoint to lighten it up a bit.

I think is username is -BB- over on Ridemonkey.com - you might want to send him a message to get his thoughts on a Romic on a Hollowpoint.

Hope this helps.

Mark
I'm over here too....
;)

The romic worked fine for me.
Now I have a 7Point though, and I havent' ridden the HP since. ;)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Speedub.Nate said:

Where do you live?

Don't bother PMing me on RM though.
My work blocked that site, and I am pretty much a work-only surfer. :(
After work and on weekends, I'm usually riding, or having a beer.

Again, as for my thoughts on the Romic on the HP, I think it worked fine.
You need a slightly heavier spring (than the bike it came off of) b/c of a higher leverage ratio. I think I had a 700lb adn I weigh about 185. It worked fine though, and that with a Vanilla 125 made the bike MUCH more trail worthy. Oh, and a 70mm stem.
It still climbs great, and you can bomb all but the toughest DH sections.

Now with my 7Point7, I can climb ok AND bomb the toughest DH sections.
I just can't climb as well/fast.
Out here in SoCal, the trails either go straight UP or straight DOWN. That is why I use the 7Point more.
If I were on the east coast, I'd probably ride the HP a bit more.
It is better on tight singletrack, and is faster on flatter trails, although with the setup I had, it could still take some serious abuse.
I think that the key was putting on the 125 fork though, just to get a slacker HT.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks a lot BB. I have recently put on a Vanilla 125R, but haven't ridden the bike yet with it on (just around my parking lot). I am glad to hear that you had a good experience with the Romic. Now I just need to find one at a reasonable price. Thanks.

-bb- said:
Where do you live?

Don't bother PMing me on RM though.
My work blocked that site, and I am pretty much a work-only surfer. :(
After work and on weekends, I'm usually riding, or having a beer.

Again, as for my thoughts on the Romic on the HP, I think it worked fine.
You need a slightly heavier spring (than the bike it came off of) b/c of a higher leverage ratio. I think I had a 700lb adn I weigh about 185. It worked fine though, and that with a Vanilla 125 made the bike MUCH more trail worthy. Oh, and a 70mm stem.
It still climbs great, and you can bomb all but the toughest DH sections.

Now with my 7Point7, I can climb ok AND bomb the toughest DH sections.
I just can't climb as well/fast.
Out here in SoCal, the trails either go straight UP or straight DOWN. That is why I use the 7Point more.
If I were on the east coast, I'd probably ride the HP a bit more.
It is better on tight singletrack, and is faster on flatter trails, although with the setup I had, it could still take some serious abuse.
I think that the key was putting on the 125 fork though, just to get a slacker HT.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Can Creek AD-12

I weight 250 + camelback and the AD-12 works great for me, the only problem I have is that I have to run the 3.5inch setting. But it works seamlessly. Just broke my frame though and waiting for warranty.

robertg said:
Thanks a lot BB. I have recently put on a Vanilla 125R, but haven't ridden the bike yet with it on (just around my parking lot). I am glad to hear that you had a good experience with the Romic. Now I just need to find one at a reasonable price. Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.