Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do you like your prophet or rush 400's . I was thinking about a heckler ,but recently tested a prophet 400 and liked it. It is readliy availabe compared to the heckler : I think it's lighter; and it is pretty sweet. I have read good things about the higher end prophets, but I have nott heard about the 400 ( my price range). also debating between the rush and the prophet. Think the prophet is better suited to my 230 lbs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a prophet 400 last week and although I've only done about 10 miles of trail riding so far with it, I must say I'm enjoying it. The bike is stock with the exception of the cheezy strap in pedals which I swapped out for some shimano clipless pedals and the bike seat which I switched off my other bike. It climbs great and has lots of clearance for logs and rocks. The great thing about the prophet is whether you buy the 400 or the 4000 you get the same strong light frame. I still need to get use to the sram shifters being both push button as oppose to the shimano speed shifters being push and pull. I must admit the shimano is a more comfortable design but I'm sure I'll get use to the sram's. The avid brakes work great although the manual doesn't help much for showing how to adjust them. Both front and rear suspension are air and fully adjustable for whatever your weight is. Basically, coming from a hardtail bike, it has made the same trails faster, easier and a lot more fun.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I racked my brain for a while between a Heckler and a Prophet 400. I recently decided on the Heckler and can tell you it will be 3 to 5 weeks before I get it and have a feeling closer to the 5 week end if that matters to you. I loved the Prophet 400 as well. Great value !! I tested a prophet 600 (LBS did not have 400 demo bike) and had it on the trail all day. The lightness and strength of the frame was immpessive. The rear shock was a bit stiff even after many adjustments, but some like it that way. The lefty was good but not as good as hyped up to be IMO. The take away from riding the 600 all day was how light and agile the bike felt, yet you just know the frame is rock solid.

In the end the Heckler lived up to all the hype and just felt better for me, had better acceleration, and a bit better drivetrain. Also rear suspention better but the bike will cost me $600 more and take almost 5 weeks to come in. With all the Heckler hype (and it is much deserved), it says alot that the prophet 400 made that decision much tougher that I thought. If the LBS gave me the 400 to test ride all day on the trail I may have just saved the $600 and kept that baby. As more are sold and more reviews come out, the Prophet 400 may just be the best FS bang for the buck out there at $1300 (with a lifetime frame warrenty). If you go with the Prophet 400 you will not go wrong.

Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts