Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I measured my trael and it is only showing about 5 inches of stanchion. I have heard that the 36 talas forks lose some travel. How do you fix this?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey RPG, ask your Fox centre to change out the Talas cartridge to a 07 Float air shaft assy, and Float top cap. I had my Talas converted, is now a much better fork IMO.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
64 Posts
2005 model, The travel is just under 160mm fully extended. I was told the dampening cartridge could cope with the extra travel. When I had the Talas seal replaced with the old assy the travel was 155mm fully extended, but not for long!

·
Trampelpfadbenutzer
692 Posts
I had the exact same problem with my 36.Fox tried to fix it but failed.
I did what SSINGA suggest:Sell that thing and buy a Marzocchi :D

Later
RaD

·
Committed
1,775 Posts
RaD said:
I had the exact same problem with my 36.Fox tried to fix it but failed.
I did what SSINGA suggest:Sell that thing and buy a Marzocchi :D

Later
RaD
I had the same problem with my 05 Talas36RC2. It lost travel and became a 5" fork. I sent it back to Fox they claimed to have fixed it, but it never saw full travel again. I sold it and bought a Marzocchi Allmountain1, couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
180 Posts
sorry to dig this up but my '06 36RC2 Talas fork was slowly losing travel. I was down to 142-145mm or so. I released all the air and unscrewed the schrader valve using a valve core wrench and cycled the fork back and forth several times. Then, I extended the fork to full travel (it measured 150mm with no air and me forcing it fully extended) and installed the valve core. I then inflated the fork for my weight kind of pulling the fork extended as I inflated and now it's back to the full 150mm. It seems to be holding that travel now as well.

I have no idea why that worked, but it seemed like there was vacuum pressure present in the fork that was compressing the fork, thus decreasing the travel. With such a low pressure required for that fork, it wouldn't take too much vacuum to start acting on that low pressure in the reverse direction.

Again, I have no real idea what's going on but if you're losing travel, it's a 5 minute process to see if this will work for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.