Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

81 - 100 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Check with CDale dealers to see if they have any leftover '14 tandems. I found mine in MI.
Don't forget to get the recall done on 2014 models

Recall DetailsAbout 80
DescriptionThis recall involves three models of 2014 tandem Cannondale bicycles, road 1, road 2 and 29 tandem. The road 1 and 29 tandem bicycles were sold in black with white graphics and the road 2 was sold in white with red and black graphics. “Cannondale” and “T1” or “T2” are printed on the aluminum frame bicycle. The 29 model is a mountain bike with 29-inch wheels and a 29 graphic decal affixed to the frame.
Incidents/InjuriesCycling Sports Groups has received two reports of loose steerer tubes. No injuries have been reported.
RemedyConsumers should immediately stop using the bicycles and return them to the nearest authorized Cannondale dealer to receive a free replacement fork.
Sold atAuthorized Cannondale dealers from October 2013 to December 2013 for between $2,700 and $5,400.
ImporterCycling Sports Group Inc., of Wilton, Conn.
ManufacturerKinesis Industry Co. Ltd., of Taiwan
Manufactured inTaiwan

·
Registered
495 Posts
My budy just received his 2015 29er tandem. He got a nice discount since he ordered a 2014 but Cannondale ran out after he made the order. So, they honored a discounted price on the 2015 because they are nice. The bike shop put on some crappy plastic pedals and converted to tubeless using Stan's tape, valve stems and sealant. I picked the bike up for him and immediately noticed it was not brutal heavy, in fact, it felt pretty light. He weighed it last night and it is 40lbs. even. He has some carbon bling on order so it should come in under 40 lbs. fairly easily. I wasn't able to measure the BB height so not sure if they changed anything there. I did notice the eccentric BB was rotated to the higher position, perhaps to raise the front ring a little, I don't know (my road tandem has the BB in the lower position - so that's what I am used to). Size of the bike: Large/small.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Very happy so far, i have a 2015 model and planning to make a week trip during this summer, most of it if not all will be through road, do you think is worth to upgrade tyres?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433714944.282663.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433715090.798044.jpg

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I haven't had any issues with the stock tires, so I'll wear them out and then replace them. They feel quite fast rolling--we are riding dirt roads exclusively. Around 40 psi, team weight is 290.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Your stoker might appreciate a Thudbuster ST, even on smooth dirt roads mine loves hers.

·
Registered
152 Posts
We got the 14 last week from REI. Really happy with it. I did put Big Apples on it. I love them on my Fargo. We also swapped out grips and saddles.

·
Registered
665 Posts
We have a stoker suspension post even on our road tandem.

If your vacation is mostly road, I'd just keep the tires you have and pump them up. If it's all road, I'd swap them for something with less tread.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just ordered a 2014 Cannondale Tandem 29er. Thanks for the recommendations, everybody-- it's going to be awesome!
How are you transporting yours? I have a Yakima roof rack (round bars) already and am looking at the Sidewinder. Manufacturer rep at Yakima said I might need an adapter for the fork, and that it would make the bike too unstable up there if I did. True? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
It is awesome. Get some new tires eg Racing Ralphs 2.35 tubeless and a Thudbuster. I transport inside a van or with a Topper Rack mounted to Yakima bars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just looked up the Topper Rack. It does look very cool! Do you know which model you have? Are you running the stock front fork?
Here's what the Yakima rep told me about the Sidewinder:
"the fork attachment is designed for standard 9mm axles and we wouldn't recommend the use of a fork adapter with it, given the weight of the bike, and higher mounting point.
Hopefully the fork is using a 9mm axle and this will work for you."

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looks like the 1up would solve the axle size problem altogether. No problems with a 29 inch wheel, I presume? Will it attach to my round Yakima crossbars? Thanks!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a Yakima roof rack (round bars) already and am looking at the Sidewinder. Manufacturer rep at Yakima said I might need an adapter for the fork, and that it would make the bike too unstable up there if I did. True? Thanks in advance!
We use a Sidewinder with a 15mm Fork-Up adapter for our ECdM and have no problems with stability. A properly fitted adapter on the Sidewinder doesn't seem to be any more unstable than when we used it on a QR forked tandem.

I'm not sure that I could even lift a tandem onto a normal roof mounted rack without injuring myself. The Sidewinder also holds the tandem well away from the vehicle when you are loading, eliminating the risk of putting a crank or chain ring through the side window or damaging your paintwork.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We use a Sidewinder with a 15mm Fork-Up adapter for our ECdM and have no problems with stability. A properly fitted adapter on the Sidewinder doesn't seem to be any more unstable than when we used it on a QR forked tandem.

I'm not sure that I could even lift a tandem onto a normal roof mounted rack without injuring myself. The Sidewinder also holds the tandem well away from the vehicle when you are loading, eliminating the risk of putting a crank or chain ring through the side window or damaging your paintwork.
Thanks for the info . . . and my complements on your bike! I also like the idea of the Sidewinder and the way it pivots up. Somehow I always manage to pull a muscle when I lift stuff up high like that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can anyone confirm for me whether the stock front fork on the 2014 Cannondale 29er tandem is through-axle or a traditional QR fork? Just trying to figure out for sure if I even need an adapter. Thanks!

81 - 100 of 114 Posts