Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
For those stuffing in big tires, consider you need more than just clears when on the stand. We ran a lot more clearance with a Panaracer Rampage on or early Fandango 29 (they had less clearance than the newer bikes) and with the wheel flexing it would rub at times.

If you do run that tight a fit, the aluminum frame needs a metal wrap to protect it or the aluminum will wear away. Again, we had more clearance and I was able to run some MX bike background material but changed it occasionally.

A tire holding dirt or mud is similar to a huge disc grinder and will take off paint and aluminum or carbon real quick.

PK

·
Registered
665 Posts
Concur. We suffered from a poor rear wheel true by the LBS and ended up wearing a notch in the seat stay of our ECdM over a single 20-mile ride. $300 later, we had a new piece of the suspension...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Geax Goma 29x2.4 Tire Clearance

Thanks for the reminder of tire clearance when wheel flexes. Would hate to be grinding down my chain stays for the sake of having big tires. That said, I got my Geax Goma 2.4 tires and installed them. They look great and I'm excited to take them for their first ride. All tires are different but I do not want to go bigger than 2.4 tires in the rear. See the pics.

resize_IMG_20141114_122013517_HDR.jpg resize_IMG_20141114_122108691_HDR.jpg resize_IMG_20141114_122134504_HDR.jpg resize_IMG_20141114_122250344_HDR.jpg resized_IMG_20141114_122047976_HDR.jpg resized_IMG_20141114_122117147_HDR.jpg resized_IMG_20141114_122312253_HDR.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Agreed, 2.4 might be the max for the rear. Big 29 inch wheels plus the weight of team results in lots of wheel flex.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Considering all factors...you will see rub on those chainstays and seatstays. The tires will accumulate dirt and mud lessening the clearance. Our early low serial number Fandango 29, prior to the wider clearance did wear away paint with no frame damage. We had similar clearance.

Loctite all rear wheel spokes and spin the rear wheel after each ride to ensure it is true.

If you do epic type rides where walking out is not feasible, carry the tools to true the wheel, and if you are not able to true a wheel currently, you should learn how.

We had a few rides that required a spoke wrench to get home.

It happens and low clearance tires can add to some concerns.

PK

·
Registered
6 Posts
our 12 year old Burley has another bad crack after a couple thousand hours of hard riding, so I am looking at one of these, what did you guys pay?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
List for my 2014 was $2700. I paid $1800 on sale. For 2015 the list price is $3250. See if you can hunt down a 2014. We love ours!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
6 Posts
thanks for the info. the day I posted that, I called the local C-Dale dealer and got a price of $1650. I also talked to Alex Nutt for a while and decided to buy one of his Fandangos instead, his prices are quite reasonable (assuming one can afford them, of course) and the USA-made content appeals to me, as do the suspension fork and seat post. I also intend to ride the bike on fairly technical trails, and believe the Fandango is better suited overall, for such riding.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Good choice! I'm a stoker on my friend's Fandango, and it is a great bike, especially in tech stuff.

·
Stephen
96 Posts
I'm currently trying to talk my wife into one of these. She's 5'2" and I'm 6'4" so it'll be entertaining to fit both of us. Due to her hips being wonky since birth she can't generate much power and although she likes riding she gets frustrated with always being the slowest one. I'm pretty much always the fastest one so it should work out.
I've only ridden a tandem once and a very old one at that... Any tips, ideas or opinions?? Advice accepted gratefully.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
The medium Cannondale will fit her, but will be a bit cramped for you. Throw a long stem on it and you'll be OK. If you both end up liking it you could have a custom bike built.

A Thudbuster or a Bodyfloat seatpost for her is a must.

·
MTB Tandem Nut
727 Posts
I'm currently trying to talk my wife into one of these. She's 5'2" and I'm 6'4" so it'll be entertaining to fit both of us. Due to her hips being wonky since birth she can't generate much power and although she likes riding she gets frustrated with always being the slowest one. I'm pretty much always the fastest one so it should work out.
I've only ridden a tandem once and a very old one at that... Any tips, ideas or opinions?? Advice accepted gratefully.
Fit the tandem to you first, since you're piloting, and will be supplying most of the power - you need to be comfortable. It's easier to make a larger tandem fit a shorter stoker than a smaller tandem fit a larger captain. At 6'4", you'll probably need a longer stem; the one on the Cannondale is pretty short, as is the captain's seatpost and stoker stem. I'm 6'3" and needed longer pieces to make it comfortable. (not sure why C'dale spec's such short contact points).
Whatever you get, remember to ride at HER comfort level initially until she gets used to the type of riding you do. It's quite a different feeling to be in the back seat without much input on where the bike goes, so let her get used to it.
Anyway, hope you find something that works for you - sounds like a tandem would be a great choice for your situation! If I can do anything to help, feel free to call.

·
Stephen
96 Posts
Thanks guys, I'm quite keen. I have shares in a bike shop so the cost is a little less scarey although they aren't cheap anyway.We are limited by what's available in New Zealand. I still really like the idea of a fatbike tandem but it might be better to dip the toes in first.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
That's what we did...first seeing if she (stoker) likes tandemming (yes!), then seeing if she likes off road tandemming (yes!). Next step is either a fat tandem or a FS tandem.

Actually, next step might be a Lefty Supermax on our Cannondale.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey all. After putting many hours on this Cannondale, I have to say I'm a little disappointed with the BB height. I thought it would be enough clearance but we are finding that we have stop, dismount, and mount the bike over some drops that I feel are not big at all. I have this fear of bottoming out and am getting used to just stopping the bike and dismounting, but boy this is not fun. In fact, it gets tiring. Based on the trails we ride, I would say we dismount about 30% of the trail ride. Other than the BB height, I love everything about the bike, but having to stop 30% of the time is just not very fun for me.

Anyone want to trade/sell their fandango or ECDM for my Cannondale? Alex, do you ever sell any used Fandango frames?

·
MTB Tandem Nut
727 Posts
Hey all. After putting many hours on this Cannondale, I have to say I'm a little disappointed with the BB height. I thought it would be enough clearance but we are finding that we have stop, dismount, and mount the bike over some drops that I feel are not big at all. I have this fear of bottoming out and am getting used to just stopping the bike and dismounting, but boy this is not fun. In fact, it gets tiring. Based on the trails we ride, I would say we dismount about 30% of the trail ride. Other than the BB height, I love everything about the bike, but having to stop 30% of the time is just not very fun for me.

Anyone want to trade/sell their fandango or ECDM for my Cannondale? Alex, do you ever sell any used Fandango frames?
Sometimes - usually demo bikes/frames. What size are you looking for? And yeah, Cannondale missed an opportunity on this one - the T29 bb height is virtually same as their road tandems, and that is a big issue for off-roading unless your trails are very smooth and flat. I wish they would have done a couple of things different - the T29 could have been a great entry-level tandem to introduce folks to off-roading. As it is, I think it may do as much harm as good, as many folks will ride one off-road, have similar experiences as you have, and assume that off-road tandeming itself isn't feasible, instead of recognizing that the right tandem makes all the difference in the world. And we do sell the T29's at MTB Tandems, by the way. I'm going to convert a few with drop bars and mechanical discs to see how they work out. The T29 is a great platform for gravel grinding, rail-trails, etc and even very mild off-road. But the feedback I get from customers or test-riders is virtually always the same as you have stated here. What a missed opportunity for Cannondale to get back into tandeming.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My wife really wants a tandem and this one piqued my interest. We'd mostly use it for 7-10 day loaded tours on road and dirt and some very buff single track unloaded so it sounds like with the low BB clearance, this would be a good bike for us.

Questions:

Are there braze ons for racks front and rear?

I'm 6' 2" and she 5' 4" so we'd get the LG frame, any opinions on the geometry of the bike and spending an entire day in the saddle?

You guys mentioned you got some good deals. Anyone know of any smokin' :madmax: deals currently?

Thanks,

BC

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Zero. Eyelets on the fork. Eyelets on the rear, the uppers are on a weird spot tho.

You might go rackless a la the Fatbike crowd (see latest mtn bike action, full spread on rackless touring).

41 - 60 of 114 Posts