Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Fox787 said:
does anyone have a hopey? I think i might get one for my monster.
i can only offer this. i don't think you will regret it. steering stabilizers are amazing. i have raced motocross for many yrs and will not ride a motocross bike without one. ( and yes, i know how to set-up suspension) i have used a couple different models for motocross. the hopey has similar dampening characteristics and i do not see why it would being anything but a boon to your riding.

the reason i don't have one for my bikes is because i am in missouri. no big hills. i don't have a down hill bike and mostly i go slow. motocross is a bit different when you have it pinned all out. i would also most definitely have one for a street bike. i am sure others could attest to that.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
i've never found the need for a steering stabilizer on any motocross bike out of a few different 80's,125's, 250's, 250f's, 450f's, aluminum framed cr500r, and a 350 banshee tricked for MX and a trick YFZ450 and a super trick TRX450r. alot of quad guys run them and both those 450 quads i rode were raced at redbud national and two other nationals in souther midewest area and they didn't need them. the ONLY MX bike i've found the need for one is my dads xr600r. it could use one when setup for supermoto. i've ridden a few 250's and a highly modded rmz450 with stabilizers on them and i just rode my friends 2006 crf250r with his new steering stabilizer and it was nothing special at all. i've also felt the need for one on my dads 2002 honda vfr cause i was floating on really small hills in the country and at about 110 it wasn't the most stable unless it was absoulty flat. of course its isn't going to be stable while floating it, but just anytime on a road bike at over 100 i feel like it'd be a nice thing to make me atleast feel a bit more safe. lol. oh yeah. and i especially hate the feeling of them on two strokes, because it doesn't feel good to me with my riding style of two strokes.

i think if you have lots of extra $$ to just waste... then go for it. if you have other things you wanna do like suspension or something... i'd def. go that way instead.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
ibanezrg520kid said:
i've never found the need for a steering stabilizer on any motocross bike out of a few different 80's,125's, 250's, 250f's, 450f's, aluminum framed cr500r, and a 350 banshee tricked for MX and a trick YFZ450 and a super trick TRX450r. alot of quad guys run them and both those 450 quads i rode were raced at redbud national and two other nationals in souther midewest area and they didn't need them. the ONLY MX bike i've found the need for one is my dads xr600r. it could use one when setup for supermoto. i've ridden a few 250's and a highly modded rmz450 with stabilizers on them and i just rode my friends 2006 crf250r with his new steering stabilizer and it was nothing special at all. i've also felt the need for one on my dads 2002 honda vfr cause i was floating on really small hills in the country and at about 110 it wasn't the most stable unless it was absoulty flat. of course its isn't going to be stable while floating it, but just anytime on a road bike at over 100 i feel like it'd be a nice thing to make me atleast feel a bit more safe. lol. oh yeah. and i especially hate the feeling of them on two strokes, because it doesn't feel good to me with my riding style of two strokes.

i think if you have lots of extra $$ to just waste... then go for it. if you have other things you wanna do like suspension or something... i'd def. go that way instead.
i didn't need one on 80's either. too much head shake on big bikes though. if you don't have head shake, then no need. if you have head shake, these will eliminate it.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
yeah, i've just never fond an MX bike that had that bad of head shake and i've ridden all fo them to their full potential power wise. 500cc twostrokes will kill you though.

how bad can headshake get on a mtn bike? id think if it isn't much of a problem on a mx bike that it couldn't be too bad on bike while bombing down a hill.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
ibanezrg520kid said:
yeah, i've just never fond an MX bike that had that bad of head shake and i've ridden all fo them to their full potential power wise. 500cc twostrokes will kill you though.

how bad can headshake get on a mtn bike? id think if it isn't much of a problem on a mx bike that it couldn't be too bad on bike while bombing down a hill.
well time out here, it can be severe on a motocross bike. i understand if it hasn't bothered you any, but it can be bad. i don't mean to be a jerk, but unless you are nationally ranked, you haven't ridden them to full potential power wise. i can assure you of that. Doug Henry rides a stock bike to full potential...probably not you.:D

i totally apologize if you are ama pro licensed and qualify for nationals. but anyway, nice to meet a fellow mx'er

i do not know about bicycles getting head shake and stuff. maybe they are a waste on them...others who DH and not just hang out here like me :D will have to comment.

to the original poster, i just wanted you to know they do in fact do their intended job. however, don't get one if you have no problems with the front end

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Fox787 said:
my front end seems to go every where
well, you heard two opposing opinions. i think you need to hear fresh ones.

i can say i agree with the other guy. you need to start with suspension set-up. if you have exhausted those options and you still have a twitchy, nervous, shaky front end...stabilizers work...and they will eliminate it and serve their function well.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
hey, np. you didn't sound like an ass at all. i get what you are saying. i'm not pro and i didn't take racing too serioulsy. i quit this year cause i couldn't afford it. i had a 40% discount on anything from my local shop, but it just wasn't enough cause i couldn't afford the travel when i have to drive 2hours to get to a track unless i ride my friends private track in my town, but i didn't like riding with him cause he was a cocky rich 85 rider and i was on my crf250, but he moved up to 250f this year and is only a fast 125c rider, but he is top 20 in indiana, but nothing speical. the quads i've ridden were ridden by semi pros. my good friend beat some pro's on factory yfz450's on a almost completey stock/brand new trx450 after getting rid of his super trick yfz450. he pulled first in his class against a few out of semi backed factory riders. i just love the racing scene, but i can't afford it any more. now that i've ditched my crf250 i've got a 1995 cr125 ported and polised, xr600r wth super kit, and some other bikes to get rid of. im taking my crf money to get a cbr600rr... much more practicle then a mx bike here in indiana.

but anyways. i've ridden some 250f's to their full potentail on my friends private track, i knew it really well, and the only way to throw down faster times for me was a bigger bike. so i've taken some bikes at least pretty close to full cause i was chasing my friend who was about to get his pro card untill he broke his femur at a local race and just kept having problems with it after. : ( but i was keeping up with him and he was one of the fastest 125 riders in the state. i've also kept up with a 450 rider here who use to ride at a local track that closed by, but it was when i was on my 80 and he was super fast. fast 125A and 250A rider. raced some pro mx, sx, and arenacross. could run with him on my cr125, but my 125 just couldn't run with him. again i knew this track really well also, but the bike was keeping me back.

don't buy it unless your head is shaking and your front end needs to feel abit more "tight" and not so loose.

NOTE: about feeling head shake. never felt it on a bike, but have felt it slightly on high speed whooped out sandy track, but never enough to need assistance.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
just to make it clear. don't think i don't belive that headshake is real! i've just never found a track/bike combination that i've ever felt the need for one.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I've had one for a couple years. For a while on my Monster. Now on a 888. I think it's a great upgrade. Even though it's expensive.

Monsters are so raked out (on most bikes) that the front end wants to flop from side to side. Hopey makes "straight" the neutral position.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Steve71 said:
Have a read of this thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=105373&highlight=hopey

The hopey isn't there to stop the front end shaking, but to stop the front wheel from deflecting and if it does deflect it also stops you from over correcting. It's also great for drifting though loose corners.
oh...my bad, i guess the mountain bike one is different. i thought i read about it and i recall the dampening char. were the same....guess not. for motorcycles they stop "head shake", i guess mtb they stop deflection

G

·
I could use a hopey, I get some real hard jolts to the side sometimes that send me off track... I have a relatively stiff front end that doesnt help...
(03/04 Junior T with Double track/stout hub) with tires at 40+ psi

Unless you get "deflected" or experience tough to hold bars while DHing, then there is not much need... unless you are one for bling

and yes, a bicylce steering damper is intended to be different than MX steering dampers... more for big shots as opposed to headshaking....

G

·
ferday said:
there's a big part of your problem, air down the tires and they'll stop deflecting...
I hate tire play, and I do all around riding, so 40 is ideal for me (I ride alot of road/ street and jumping....)
DH runs are right in town so theres no point in deflating and pumping if Its 5 mins between street and DH riding..... I also loose track of the front wheel at times (hardtail during DH is difficult)...
I am working on getting a Devinci Wilson..... im gettin there !

EDIT: Tires are at 35 right now

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.