Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's mine. Geeting some wheels made. Red Velocity rims, Spot fr. hub and Nexus rear. Wish I could afford a Rohloff but maybe next year.

I uploaded a pic but it doesn't seem to show it?

Attachments

·
Holy Chromoly!!
542 Posts
Who welds these frames?

And are those the Old Bonz cranks you have there?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeroen said:
Who welds these frames?

And are those the Old Bonz cranks you have there?
I can't remember who welds them. No these are original Dog Bones from around '92ish. Pedals are Demco's. Bars are CBR. Seat is a suede Colnago.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Kish welds them...

ejr13 said:
I can't remember who welds them. No these are original Dog Bones from around '92ish. Pedals are Demco's. Bars are CBR. Seat is a suede Colnago.
Pretty sure Jim Kish welds them up for CBR. Great looking bike! Let's have a few more shots of that bad boy!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
ejr13 said:
Here's mine. Geeting some wheels made. Red Velocity rims, Spot fr. hub and Nexus rear. Wish I could afford a Rohloff but maybe next year.

I uploaded a pic but it doesn't seem to show it?
That's awesome. I love those. Kish does great work. I've seen a few of his ti bikes which were equally great.

I am working on getting an old straighbar schwinn together as a cruiser/clunker. Sort of the low-rent alternative to a CookBros or Retrotech. I've been trying to order the Cooks DX bars like you have here but they aren't responding to emails and when I phone them they say they are working on a big money project and will get back to bikes when they are done in a few months. Oddly, it just make me want them more. I guess I have the mindset of a teenage girl when it comes to bikes.

Cheers, have fun with that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
scant said:
disk mounts front & rear?
Yep. It's the only way they come. I'll run one in the front and a coater brake Nexus in the back untill I can get a Rohloff.

I'll get some more pics up soon.

Boy named SSue- Yeah the bars are sweeeeeeet. Stainless Steel. The best touch is the "Cook Bros. Racing" etching on them liek from the original bmx days. Hope you get some soon.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just finished it a few days ago. I think the tires are too skinny? The cable that came with the Nexus shifter is too short :) I'll will fix it soon.Just got a CBR post today to throw on it.

It rides sooo nice. I know there are not many but would love to see anyone else's CBR 25th.

Attachments

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
ejr13 said:
Just finished it a few days ago. I think the tires are too skinny? The cable that came with the Nexus shifter is too short :) I'll will fix it soon.Just got a CBR post today to throw on it.

It rides sooo nice. I know there are not many but would love to see anyone else's CBR 25th.
That's super sweet!
Throw some big tan wall meats on there! :D

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Yeah, those tires are anemic. There aren't too many sidewall color choices available in larger diameter 700c, but that bike would look mo *****in with a set of Big Apples on it.

http://www.webcyclery.com/product.php?productid=17287&cat=0&page=1

Pretty sure that the 2.35's will fit that bike but you might want to check with Jack first. Otherwise the 2.0's will for sure.

I have a set of 2.1 IRC Notos that have red sidewalls that I got from a chap in England as they were only distributed there, but the tread would be way to slow for your needs, however the red would be nice :)

Anyway, nice bike!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Nice!

Nice looking cruiser! Sheez, I wish the folks at Cook Bros were still interested in the cruiser gig and not preoccupied with other matters. Does anyone know if the company is still up for sale? Have fun with your new rig! :eek:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the praise guys.

Jack has used Big Apples on his cruisers but I have some fire roads around me and would like a little more tread. I was thinking of the Nanoraptors. Do I need to worry about the rims only being 1" wide ? Even with the Kendas on there now unless they are rock hard I feel the sidewalls rolling over.

Jack said CBR is still for sale but is in no hurry and wants to make sure the right person gets it.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
According to the letter of the WTB law you need at least a 21 mm wide rim to run their 29" tires.

That said, when the 700c Nano first hit the scene in '99 they got run on narrower rims than that and not just on fireroads either. At 30 psi no less. This has been going on ever since, I know because I am one of the worst offenders, sorry Mark:rolleyes:

Here is what I am running them on currently (at less than 30 psi) . I go a bit less than 200 in full riding regalia and ride some pretty technical terrain here in Colorado. What you can't see is the next size bigger WTB tire, the Exiwolf, on the front wheel :eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.