Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having issues with a store who shipped me a 9 speed shifter set when I ordered an 8 Speed set. Next thing I get when I ask for an RMA number is some tool telling me that the 9 speed shifters will work with teh 8 speed drivetrain, and he still has yet to give me an RMA number.

Anyone chime in on whether they have ever had a bike shop try to tell them a 9 speed shifter works on an 8 speed drivetrain? He stated to me that the X.9 twist shifts will work on both 8 and 9 speed systems even though it is a 9 speed right shifter.

It is also funny that on their website they have two models of shifters, one 8 speed and one 9 speed and both are different prices, but in the employees email to me he stated that the two shifters are actually the same shifter, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Won't call out the store, but to be treated like a moron by a bike shop is getting old. Hope I can get the RMA number.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Wildeyes said:
Having issues with a store who shipped me a 9 speed shifter set when I ordered an 8 Speed set. Next thing I get when I ask for an RMA number is some tool telling me that the 9 speed shifters will work with teh 8 speed drivetrain, and he still has yet to give me an RMA number.

Anyone chime in on whether they have ever had a bike shop try to tell them a 9 speed shifter works on an 8 speed drivetrain? He stated to me that the X.9 twist shifts will work on both 8 and 9 speed systems even though it is a 9 speed right shifter.

It is also funny that on their website they have two models of shifters, one 8 speed and one 9 speed and both are different prices, but in the employees email to me he stated that the two shifters are actually the same shifter, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Won't call out the store, but to be treated like a moron by a bike shop is getting old. Hope I can get the RMA number.
A 9-speed shifter will not work with an 8-speed cassette

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I was a little bit shocked that the guy tried to tell me SRAM X.9 works with both 8 and 9 speed. They show two different prices for two different shifters, but now they say the two shifters are the same and that it will work.

Needless to say this bike outfit going into my "Crap" list of ones not to deal with anymore. 4 weeks waiting to get the wrong part, and then have them lie to you about what they shipped you.

Oh well.

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
shiggy said:
Sort of, not really. Possible but not reliable.

7/8-speed shifters/cassettes are usually close enough to interchange.
Yeah, I did it, but I wound up switching as soon as I could afford it. Not something I wanted to keep running for a couple of seasons.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
FWIW...

I ran 8 speed shifters on a 9 speed cassette for a short time, out of necessity.

It was possible using a Shimano derailleur because Shimano uses a floating jockey. By adjusting the derailleur so it was perfect in the middle of the cassette range, there was just enough lateral play in the jockey that I could run noiselessly at the outer edges of the cassette.

I'd expect Sram derailleurs, with their fixed jockeys, wouldn't play so well.

However, even with the floater it was a very finicky setup on a hardtail, and I'd expect even more hassle on a full suspension. Not something I'd recommend doing, but possible if the need arises.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
AL29er said:
I was wondering why some were saying that it was working. I would never even have bothered trying it myself.
Not an equipment combo you'd want to seek out purposely -- McGyver drivetrain, maybe.

Now 9 speed shifters with 8 speed cassette, I'd expect something similar but I haven't tried it and will defer to what the guys have written. And you've got that extra click of the shifter to deal with that will go nowhere, cable going slack if you rig it right or pulling to tight against a limit screw if you rig it wrong, just a mess I'd not want to deal with.

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
Speedub.Nate said:
Not an equipment combo you'd want to seek out purposely -- McGyver drivetrain, maybe.

Now 9 speed shifters with 8 speed cassette, I'd expect something similar but I haven't tried it and will defer to what the guys have written. And you've got that extra click of the shifter to deal with that will go nowhere, cable going slack if you rig it right or pulling to tight against a limit screw if you rig it wrong, just a mess I'd not want to deal with.
You can get away with it with 8 speed shifters, even with the different spacing, mostly because of what Nate said, but you set the derailleur to stop short of either the biggest ring or the smallest, whichever you prefer. To some extent, that narrows the derailleur movement close enough to the 9 speed spacing to make it workable........but not something I would design a bike around. Short term, sure.

Go the other way, with 9 speed shifters.....you can't set the derailleur to stay within the 8 speed gearing and not miss gears all over the place. Set it up so it hits all the gears correctly, and one extra click is going to either throw your chain into the spokes if you have it set inboard, or right into the gap between cassette and dropout. Either way, you stop in a big hurry.

·
the catalan connection
1,266 Posts
Ahh... bike shop blues...my favourites
There should be a sticky thread with a good collection of them !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.