Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for input on my 2010 DHX 5 Air on my Reign X. Has anyone had experience with Avy or Push tuned shock from these guys? The problem I'm having is the shock blows through it's travel, when I increase air pressure it's too stiff.

Is it worth getting the DHX upgraded or should I look at a different shock.

BTW 210 lb rider, one bike, AM to XC, over the hill and will do 4' drops once in a while.

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,466 Posts
Looking for input on my 2010 DHX 5 Air on my Reign X. Has anyone had experience with Avy or Push tuned shock from these guys? The problem I'm having is the shock blows through it's travel, when I increase air pressure it's too stiff.

Is it worth getting the DHX upgraded or should I look at a different shock.

BTW 210 lb rider, one bike, AM to XC, over the hill and will do 4' drops once in a while.
Push doesn't tune the DHX AIR. Never have. Before I had my DHX Air Avy'd I had put in some heavy duty o-rings in the air can to make it less wallowy and more progressive.
Just cut the o-rings so you can get them around the internal air shaft and grease them up and your good to go. Before I sent my shock to Avalanche I removed the o-rings
and tried the shock again and it was wallowy again. The Avy treatment tho made this into a very good, high riding shock. A very fast reacting shock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Push doesn't tune the DHX AIR. Never have. Before I had my DHX Air Avy'd I had put in some heavy duty o-rings in the air can to make it less wallowy and more progressive.
Just cut the o-rings so you can get them around the internal air shaft and grease them up and your good to go. Before I sent my shock to Avalanche I removed the o-rings
and tried the shock again and it was wallowy again. The Avy treatment tho made this into a very good, high riding shock. A very fast reacting shock.
If you don't mind, which services did you have done? Did you have the extended reservoir installed?

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,466 Posts
I talked to Craig (which is recommended). I think I had the SSD mod done. Craig will let's you know if your suspension design
and/or riding style or weight warrants the extended res. The IFP is removed from the piggyback, and hence you gain volume
just doing that. But if I were you and you like to tinker, just try add something to the air can to reduce the volume, it really works.
I think there was a thread somewhere on mtbr that covers this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great! thanks for the info. I am seriously considering the mod. It's good to hear it will be worth it. I have seen a few threads about reducing the can volume, but I wanted to get the SSD mod done as well. I will be giving them a call soon.

·
Biking Like Crazy!
1,466 Posts
Is the Avy tuned DHX air better than say a stock DHX coil?
It's better in the sense that it is lighter and can be adjusted perfectly for your weight and riding conditions with just an shock pump.:cool:
Seriously tho, a custom tuned air shock should be pretty close to a stock coil IMO!
I should add that I have an Avy'd Progressive Element coil over on a free ride bike that I haven't even ridden yet. Now that should be good.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I sent in my dhx air weeks ago and should be getting it back by the end of the week. I'll post a review when I get it on the bike. Craig is an awesome person to deal with. Super nice guy that will spend time with you to answer any questions you have.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I sent in my dhx air weeks ago and should be getting it back by the end of the week. I'll post a review when I get it on the bike. Craig is an awesome person to deal with. Super nice guy that will spend time with you to answer any questions you have.
Looking forward to your review. Any idea what the average turn-around time is? I have a float I can use so it's not a big deal, just wondering. It sounds like it will be well worth the time and money.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looking forward to your review. Any idea what the average turn-around time is? I have a float I can use so it's not a big deal, just wondering. It sounds like it will be well worth the time and money.
Craig is extremely busy right now. I sent my shock in on Feb 28th. I wad talking to him today and he said he's about 4 weeks out. I'd call him to be sure. It's getting to the start of the season so he might even turn people away.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I ran one all last season on my Nickel. Great performing shock. Blows off nice on square hits and chunky stuff without bobbing excessively. Used all the travel on jumps a little more than I would have liked, but overall that shock was a big part of the reason I could ride a 140mm travel bike at dh (for me) speed.

The downside wasn't with Craig or his work, it was with the design of the dhx 5 air itself. That shock is prone to cavitation and burping piggyback air into the main damper oil. After 5 months of riding, during a cold temperature swing mine burped. Craig will tell you that straight up. Just plan on sending it for a service every season after you get it tuned, which you really should be doing with your rear shocks anyway.

I'm currently running a stock 2013 vivid air. It's a nice piece, and there is stuff about it I like more than the avy 5.0 air, but man, that avy 5.0 air overall was a better shock for someone who favors traction over playfulness.

I'm REALLY hoping craig starts working on rockshox shocks soon....easy to service and no bs like the fox stuff. An avy tune on the vivid air would be INSANE.

·
Banned
2,895 Posts
I ride a slightly different shock - the DHX 5 Coil - but the damper guts should be similar AFAIK. There are a couple of things said in this thread that I am not sure are entirely correct:
1. Craig does not remove the IFP when he converts the shock to SSD. He optionally replaces it with his own part, because
2. the OEM IFP sucks. The constant movement of the piston wears it down, it then begins to leak air or N2 into the damper oil and then not good things will happen.

He replaced the IFP on mine when I sent it for service because it was worn after a year of use. He also said the DHX sometimes suffers from gas leaks from its (porous) chassis, the piggyback gas chamber would then be slowly leaking N2 until at atmospheric pressure and you end up with bad things again. IIRC, there is no remedy for this problem.

As such, I would stay away from the DHX line if you are shopping for a new or used shock. If you already have a DHX, Craig's mod will transform it into an excellent performer. I will be riding mine for as long as it remains economical.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.