Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously considering the 2011 Trek Hifi Deluxe 29er. I'd be upgrading from a 26er specialized stumpjumper- great bike but I'm ready to go with the larger wheels. Does anyone have experience on the new Trek models? I'm not sure how much they changed from the Fisher 2010 ones, but was just wondering.

G

·
I have a 2010 Pro. I have been very happy with it.

The 2011s are 3x10 gears versus 3x9 for 2010. The saddle and front hub changed...both probably for the better. Obviously, the paint scheme is WAY different but it looks nice to me in person (not on the web, however).

Probably the most important change is the warranty: the rear triangle now has a two-year warranty versus lifetime on the 2010. The front triangle remains a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Interesting about the warranty change. From what I've read, it looks like the rear triangle has cracked on a lot of older models. Do you think Trek is trying to skimp on this?

G

·
Correct. The 08-09 had the chainstay cracking issues. The entire rear end was redesigned for 2010 and it now incorporates the Trek ABP rear axle, too, for added strength. I wouldn't NOT buy the bike because of the warranty change, but I just wanted to make you aware of it. From 2010 on it's been a solid frame. It's pretty much the same frame as the Rumblefish, which is built to take more abuse anyway.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. In your experience would you consider it more a strictly cross country type ride, or a bit of trail thrown in there as well? I'm trying to gauge how much of a switch it will be from a stumpy fsr.

G

·
It's definitely a XC/trail bike if you want it to be. I have it set up pretty firm with lots of Propedal for XC, but can open the rear shock when I am hitting the rougher trails. I dropped the 44T chainring and run 22/32/bash.

The wide (28mm) rims are nice and are a good platform for 2.2-2.4 tires. I am currently running the Bonty 29-3 2.25 front tire as a front and rear. Good all purpose trail tires.

I demo'd both the HiFi and the SJ back to back. No question that the HiFi is firmer and a little less stable in the downhills. But it climbs really well, has quicker steering, and a great pedaling platform with a stiff rear end. The SJ was super plush and blew through techy sections without missing a beat. But it felt a little more sluggish on the climbs and the tight stuff.

I felt the HiFi was more in the middle of XC/trail and the SJ was defintely full-on trail; maybe even a touch of AM. I wouldn't want to race on the SJ...I plan on racing on my HiFi this year instead of a hardtail.

All depends on your priorities. Both great bikes...just pick the one that fits your usage best.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.