Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tora 318 solo air, that I got used, apparently the oil leaked out of it. I looked through the instructions on replacing all the seals and oil, but I would have to buy most all the tools, and then try my luck. Would it be cheaper to have a bike shop do it, assuming they dont have oil and seals and have done it before? Has anyone had this done, if so what kind of price range is expected?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Depending on where you live, your LBS could be the way to go. In the SF Bay Area we have several great and knowledgeable shops to choose from. I had Passion Trail in Belmont rebuild my Fox. Total charge was about $60 and included new seals, oil and labor.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well if I can get it done for $60 I think I'll go that route. Rather than get $40 worth of tools and supplies and tear into it only to realize I cant put it back together. I'm pretty competent when it comes to working on my bike, but the internals of suspension I dont know much about.

·
COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK
1,110 Posts
schro31185 said:
Well if I can get it done for $60 I think I'll go that route. Rather than get $40 worth of tools and supplies and tear into it only to realize I cant put it back together. I'm pretty competent when it comes to working on my bike, but the internals of suspension I dont know much about.
That's a good price if it's a good reliable shop as stated.

If you are fairly mechanically inclined, there is plenty online instuctions for a simple seal and oil change. Here is Enduro online instuctions.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It helps to shop around for a good LBS. I'd recommend dropping in on a few around town and talking to the employees. It doesn't take long to figure out which shops have competent employees and which shops don't. I've lived in two states in the past few years, and in both places I had to drive 15 miles past other bike shops to get to the LBS I trusted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a Rock Shox Dart3 rebuilt by Mark at BGI here in Indiana. They were very good and expediant. Their mechanics all seem well trained. And the best was it didnt cost a dime! ( warranty work) The Dart 3 is a good fork AFTER you have it rebuilt.

·
Hard as nails
1,008 Posts
Like most have stated, depending on the LBS in your area. I have taken a fork for a rebuild to my LBS and it took forever. They had to order the parts etc... Then come to find out, they just read up on the service manuals and performed the task. With that said, I now prefer to do my own maintenance.

I read the service manuals a few times and take my time and all has been well. I just rebuilt my wifes 04 Psylo and my 66RC this afternoon. I have save mucho loot by becoming competent with servicing my own rigs...

If you are not a fix it guy, do whatever you are comfortable with. Because if you dammage something it may cost ya more in the end;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.