Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i have an 09 ex9, today after the ride i noticed the shock was feeling dead in the first 12% of travel, has any body else had this happen and any ideas why, ive only had the bike 2 weeks and i know its covered with a very good warranty, im after feedback on whether or not this happens often as i if it does il probably send it off to be pushed straight away, rather than waiting 6 months or so, as was my plan. Any feedback will be helpful.
Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i have got a 08 ex9 that i have just built up. i have done 11 miles so far and am not impressed with the rp23 there is very little rebound adjustment and the pro pedal makes the shock just feel totally dead. i don't think there is anything wrong its just not as good as people make out. the bike is not really that much fun to ride. it does everything sort of ok but does not excel at anything.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Bosco is dead on. First, it will take some time to figure out all the settings on a new bike. You have to play around with them. 11 miles is nothing, let alone getting the bike TODAY.

Play around with settings, let the shock break in, along with the rest of the suspension, and figure out all the settings all around.

You have even well-experienced riders out there taking weeks to months to figure things out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i built the bike myself and know how to set a shock up and have owned many full sus frames in the past. from my experience the rebound damping is very poor and i cant see how that will improve as the shock breaks in. i hope the feel of the bike improves but i liked the bike this has replaced which was a liquid 25. the frame broke after 4 years of hard use. i think a remedy would of been a more like for like replacement.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I've got a few weeks on mine and getting things figured out a bit better. Unfortunately, side issue is that it's now dripping quite a bit of oil from the pro pedal adjuster so guess I've got to check in with the shop to see about getting it fixed.

But for setup, I weigh about 160 and have ended up with 125 psi. My initial impression of the shock was the same as the OP. Dead in the initial travel and pro pedal felt worse. But now with some miles, dialed in air pressure and damping adjustments it feels o.k. and pro pedal definitely helping on the climbs (setting 2).

My biggest "discovery" was that slowing down the rebound also increased compression. At least on mine, more rebound makes the thing very stiff on compression so I've gone to about 3 clicks from all the way out and the shock feels pretty lively. Any harder on rebound and the thing gets soupy.

Hopefully they'll fix the leak pretty quickly on mine and I can get back to fine tuning and enjoying the ride.

Mark

·
Registered
202 Posts
X3, Jerk is dead on. I have an rp2, it took close to 100 miles before mine felt broke in. Then I started playing with the adjustments and got it dialed...was very cush yet efficient. Put 3-4 hundred miles with no issues. Then oil started leaking from the PP/Rebound adjustment...had NO rebound or compression no matter what I did and progressivly got worse (full clockwise, full counter clockwise and PP felt worse than open LOL). Took it back to the shop, and they swapped it out with a RP23 which appeared to be new...set it to the same settings that I had on my shock. Now if feels the same when my bike was new: needs broken in. Also I don't know for a fact that this shock came off of an EX so the tuning may be different. However, it is much better than when the shock didn't have any dampning. I also think that messing around with the settings too much while in break in is counterproductive...its like trying to hit a moving target. I'd set it where you like it the most, then ride it for a hundred miles or so then start tuning.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.