Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mounted my Racing Ralph up tubeless the other night, and bounced it on the floor a few times when it blew right off the rim. Now there's a small little kink in the bead, and I can't get it to air up tubeless at all now. I did get around 20 pounds of air in it once, and the bead was beginning to seat itself, when it blew off the rim again, right at the same spot.

Think I can get it replaced as defective, or do I just need to pony up and buy another one?

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Cleaned it up and mounted it with a tube, and while it's staying on the rim, there's a nice flat spot on the shoulder of the tire, opposite the valve stem. I'm not sure if that's where the kink in the bead is, but I'm gonna check it out tomorrow. For now I'm gonna leave it mounted overnight, hopefully a huge bang doesn't wake me up in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The flat spot on the shoulder was exactly where the kink in the bead was. here's a few pix to show what was going on.

The bead I guessed stretched right here, into a sort of triangular bend

Where that bend was, when I deflated the tire after blowing it up with a tube, I noticed the bead was sorta rolled under, into the center channel of the rim, the bead wasn't sitting up against the rim wall, but the sidewall of the tire was. this caused the tire to be pulled over to one side, so that it rubbed on my fork arch, not just a little bit, but enough to almost stop it every time it went round.

You can see how the tire pulled over in the next two pics, the line above the bead circumference of the tire dips down toward the rim at that point, and the centerline of the tread swerves over .

Guys at Stans said that these tires have been a reliable one for their system, so this shouldn't be happening. Emailked the vendor I bought this from, not really expecting them to exchange it, but just checking to see if maybe they would. haven't heard back, so doesn't look likely. I'm assuming the tire is toast.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got another pair of RaRa's today, and mounted them up with tubes, just to se how they'd do. took a few turns of defalting and reinflating to get the bead to sit right, and the seam above the bead to be aligned right all the way around the rim, but they seem to be doing well so far.

Tomorrow I give it another shot at mounting them tubeless, we'll see what happens.

·
The Punk Hucker
3,755 Posts
I'm reading a lot of Schwalbe tires blow off recently. I'm kind of worried about it as I chose to give them a try this season. Not sure it has anything to do with PaceStar, mine are Evo TL Ready. Hopefully it'll be fine. Maybe I should mount them with a tube first so the bead sets in a bit.

I bought 3 different tires, I hope they'll be fine, or I'll be pissed.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I had a Schwalbe big Betty blow off my Flow rim upon install. There was a flat spot on the bead about 4 inches long. Not as flat as yours looks in the pics, mine it almost looks like they ran out of bead on the production line. It's just not as substantial in that one area.

Messed with my head enough that I'm going to be running tubes up front this season.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jasonub said:
Defective tire. Try to read the markings near the bead. It's made in Indonesia. Maybe poor Qc from them.
That's what I'm wondering. when I first set them tubeless, in addition to a few small pops as the bead set, there was one last horrible sounding, very loud, almost a metallic clang, which, having never done tubeless before, I just assumed was the last of the bead setting in place. Now I'm wondering if that sound was the sound of the bead of the tire letting go.

May try contacting Schwalbe directly, see what happens.

The new raRas, I mounted up last night with tubes, and let them sit overnight and most of today. Hopefully, it lets the tire take a little shape, stretch out a bit on the rim, and the bead settle into place a bit. I'm a little hesitant though to get going with setting them up tubeless tonight.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I'm done with Schwalbe. Ordered another set of RaRa's, and mounted these up tubeless again. First one, on the same rim that the previous one blew off, seems to be holding up just fine.

Second one, I blew up to 40PSI, let it sit for a while and it seemed to seal fine, so I deflated it, and then put 30PSI in it to sit overnight. I woke up abbout 2:30 in the morning and couldn't get back to sleep, and sometime around 3:15 or so, I heard this "PLOOFF" sound from downstairs, and went "oh no". Sure enough, this tire had blown off the rim as well.

Same issues as the first tire, A triangular spot in the bead, and it won't reinflate tubeless. With a tube, it'll blow up, buit it's got the same hump in the tread that the first one did, without putting it in the frame, i'm assuming the tread is pulled over to the side like thelast one, and the bead folded under.

Someone here on some thread said that they redesigned their bead for the new TL-ready tires? I'm wondering if the new redesign doesn't work so well with Stan's rims. In any event, I'm pretty much done with them. I can't afford to keep dropping $60 for tires that don't work. If I can find someone that's got Conti X-King's in stock, i think that's where I'm going next.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think I'm done with Schwalbe. Ordered another set of RaRa's, and mounted these up tubeless again. First one, on the same rim that the previous one blew off, seems to be holding up just fine.

Second one, I blew up to 40PSI, let it sit for a while and it seemed to seal fine, so I deflated it, and then put 30PSI in it to sit overnight. I woke up abbout 2:30 in the morning and couldn't get back to sleep, and sometime around 3:15 or so, I heard this "PLOOFF" sound from downstairs, and went "oh no". Sure enough, this tire had blown off the rim as well.

Same issues as the first tire, A triangular spot in the bead, and it won't reinflate tubeless. With a tube, it'll blow up, buit it's got the same hump in the tread that the first one did, without putting it in the frame, i'm assuming the tread is pulled over to the side like thelast one, and the bead folded under.

Someone here on some thread said that they redesigned their bead for the new TL-ready tires? I'm wondering if the new redesign doesn't work so well with Stan's rims. In any event, I'm pretty much done with them. I can't afford to keep dropping $60 for tires that don't work. If I can find someone that's got Conti X-King's in stock, i think that's where I'm going next.
Did you get warantyon your tires?
How did this end?

:skep:

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I've setup several sets of the new pacestar compound in Ra Ra and Ro Ros in the 29er flavors. I have had no mishaps on any of them using Stans, Easton and most recently C29ssmax. In all setups I use a generous amount of Quick Detailer from Mequiars as a primary lubricant to get the tire on the rim and to set the bead. I don't use tire irons or a compressor, nor do I inflate over 40psi. Admittedly a compressor would be nice from time to time on the stubborn tires. I think using the right lubricant whether it be soapy water, Mequiars or other is the key ingredient to get the beds to set with minimal trouble. To the original poster, did you use a generous amount of soapy water when you first setup your tires?

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
haven't heard anything. I keep meaning to email them and check up on it, but then I get busy doing something else and forget all about it. Working 12 hours/day doesn't help much either, I barely have time to get home, get some food into me, and then off to bed.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I know this is an old post, but here goes. I had the same experience with Pacestar RoRo 2.25s on Crest 29ers. Two of our similar wheelsets were setup with the same tires. One set had no issues. The other one exploded while sitting on the rack. Take note that I ran these for about 3 months without a single burp.

I figured I wouldn;t be able to get a warranty replacement (I'm from Manila), so I mounted a pair of used 2.1 Alberts as replacements tires. While inflating, the beads popped right in, then boom! It exploded again at 32psi.

These Alberts worked fine before on ZTR rims with Stan's solution. The blowoff happened on the same rim with same kinks as pictured in the previous post. Two blowoffs in two days? What gives?!

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,183 Posts
I have 3 RaRa Pacestar's mounted (one on a Stan's Flow rim and two on Stan's 355's). So far no issues other than one of them has like 8 sweat spots at various places on the tread. I mounted all of three with a standard floor pump and inflated them to better than 40 psi for a short period of time to make sure they seated properly. I didn't really have issues with the EVO's even though I ride rocky terrain semi-frequently. I might try to score a couple more of them I guess.

A friend of mine had two RaRa Pacestar's mounted for months and one blew off the other week sitting in his garage.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.