Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
since 4/10/2009
32,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered some vernier calipers on ebay about 2wks ago for a wheel build (I cannot, in good conscience, buy what amounts to a battery-powered ruler), and the seller was pretty good about getting shipping together. The tracking number was created on Jan 7th, and the "anticipated delivery" date was last week.

According to the seller, who sells quite a bit, and who I trust in this case, he got my package to USPS on the 7th. USPS hasn't updated tracking information AT ALL. Still says the package is in "pre-shipment". Of course, I also haven't received the item and will probably open a case with them on Monday if the item isn't delivered.

I've been getting mail and other package deliveries just fine otherwise, which is part of why this particular one is confusing to me.

·
Cycologist
9,139 Posts
I made two orders from Chain Reaction last month. The second one appeared to have cleared customs and been turned over to the USPS. They then spent over a week moving it from NY to another place in NY, my anticipated delivery date being within that time. Then they finally sent it to me. But it wasn't showing as "pre-shipment". I would try to find out just what "pre-shipment" means; does it mean they have physically received it or just that the seller put in paperwork but they haven't received it.

·
since 4/10/2009
32,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would try to find out just what "pre-shipment" means; does it mean they have physically received it or just that the seller put in paperwork but they haven't received it.
the tracking page is pretty clear about what it means. it's the second of the options you list. says that the seller has put in the paperwork, but that USPS hasn't received it. yet, according to the seller, USPS has had it since the 7th. I see no reason for the seller to lie about that.

maybe they lost it before they had a chance to scan it. maybe they're lazy/overworked and never bothered to scan it. maybe they're scanning it, but nothing is updating on the website (if this is the case, wtf is the point?). maybe the tracking label is damaged and they can't scan it. maybe the seller IS lying to me.

no major misdeliveries at my house lately, however it's not terribly uncommon for them to occur. esp in my neighborhood between neighbors who might have addresses that are 10 house numbers apart.

·
jcd's best friend
3,075 Posts
USPS did the same thing to me when I bought stuff from Worldwide Cyclery. It shipped on the 9th (priority) and zero tracking information popped up the whole time. On delivery day, everything was updated.

Right after Xmas, I ordered my SRAM Code R brakes, SRAM brake bleed kit, and some fluids from my vendor 2 1/2 hours from me. I normally get stuff next day from the post office. Instead, they delivered the package to the wrong address (wrong zip code too) and had zero tracking information. The post office was baffled. They were able to GPS track where it was last scanned and it was at a group mailbox in another neighborhood.

My vendor was awesome and shipped me all of my stuff again which I did receive this time along with a huge rip in the side of the damn box. I swear, the post office doesn't like SRAM.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
FWIW, USPS tracking updates are not really real-time. Holiday season or not.

Depending on the shipping option (I assume free shipping means vendor choses the cheapest) stuff also is stuck in some cities for days. My guess is they prioritize the more expensive shipments and if there is room on the truck, the cheap shipments get on as well.

Don't like it? Chose the (higher priced) faster shipping options.

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
Occasionally Cranky
5,463 Posts
Had a guy ship something a couple months back and his local office just didn't bother to scan it in when he dropped it off. It showed up in their system about 5 days later. There were no major weather/fire/etc events in the area. When I asked the seller when he was going to drop the package off, he said his local PO is really bad about entering stuff into the system. It arrived fine, if a few days late.

·
well mannered lout
3,175 Posts
I was going to suggest a weather related issue. I also think the volume they handle at USPS has probably spilled over the top of what their systems were designed to handle. The problems we've had with them for the last couple of months are such that I wouldn't use them for my shipping. My guess is that it varies a lot from location to location.

·
Cycologist
9,139 Posts
the tracking page is pretty clear about what it means. it's the second of the options you list. says that the seller has put in the paperwork, but that USPS hasn't received it. yet, according to the seller, USPS has had it since the 7th. I see no reason for the seller to lie about that.

maybe they lost it before they had a chance to scan it. maybe they're lazy/overworked and never bothered to scan it. maybe they're scanning it, but nothing is updating on the website (if this is the case, wtf is the point?). maybe the tracking label is damaged and they can't scan it. maybe the seller IS lying to me.

no major misdeliveries at my house lately, however it's not terribly uncommon for them to occur. esp in my neighborhood between neighbors who might have addresses that are 10 house numbers apart.
Does the shipper receive a receipt when they drop it off? I guess if it was just picked up from their mailbox, they wouldn't. But it seems like it is on the shipper if the USPS says they never received it, even if they did and didn't scan it in. Would suck to be the shipper in that case but sometimes in business you need to have a paper trail to show you did your part and the issue is on another party. Otherwise, I imagine the USPS can just claim they never received it.

·
since 4/10/2009
32,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For one, I was never given shipping options. It shipped how the seller was willing to ship it. USPS first class, with a tracking number. If you've paid for shipping online and just drop the package off, receiving a receipt is up to you. When I've done it for work (boss didn't want the extra paper, 'cause he got a receipt when he paid online), I've just left the package on the counter.

I suppose weather delay is possible, but that doesn't explain why the item hasn't been scanned in the week that they've supposely had it. It did get shipped from the other side of the country, but AFAIK, any weather was between the origin and the destination and wasn't that bad. Nothing has been particularly bad here, and I haven't heard of anything particularly bad in SoCal (the origin), either.

First off, I was looking for confirmation of USPS being super lazy about scanning stuff into their tracking system. Usually, tracking updates have been at least relatively prompt, with an occasional item that isn't updated until delivery (but it gets delivered on the estimated day, so less concern). I did get that much, at least.

·
well mannered lout
3,175 Posts
For one, I was never given shipping options....

First off, I was looking for confirmation of USPS being super lazy about scanning stuff into their tracking system.
I was suggesting that if I needed to send a package I wouldn't use them. UPS is pretty convienient for us.

I'm not sure they are lazy...I think your parts probably got lost when the shipping was ordered and paid for but before it was registered into the system for actual delivery. I don't know how that can happen, but it has happened to us twice in the last 8 or 10 weeks. FWIW, both of those shipments were small enough to come in a padded shipping envelope and both were 3rd party fulfilling Amazon orders.

·
Cycologist
9,139 Posts
My sister purchased something online for my wife for Christmas (not from Amazon) and she told me it was going to be late. We never got it so I called her and she said she had received an email that it had been returned. They showed a delivery date of Dec 26th, which is the day we left early in the morning to go out of town.

Meanwhile, on the 8th, we got a doorknob hanger from Fed Ex that they tried to deliver but required a signature. I signed it and stuck it on the door. They never attempted another delivery. I went by their office yesterday and the guy looked it up and said it had a different name and address on it.

So I guess my wife's present was delivered to the wrong house and they returned it.

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
Occasionally Cranky
5,463 Posts
And...today I received a package. My mail was supposed to be held Friday through Tuesday (woulda been a surprise for the wife). Yeah, it's Sunday but we got like 16" of snow here Fri/Sat. USPS is effed up.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts