Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
7am Backcountry ;- )
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunday - riding next to the river - coming up to a very sandy section - dog walker 10 metres in front - 2 dogs at the side - she starts to panic and get the dogs out of the way instead of leaving them be and let me through the middle - i have to brake hard and try and go around as dogs now in the way - front wheel starts to slide - manage to get foot down and steady myself - phew that was close - then back wheel goes and in slow motion i crash sideways and hit the ground with a loud thud - then slide along for a metre or so! LOL

Unexpected, bit of a sand graze on arm, bit achy today, but I found it hilarious at the time and looking back on quite enjoyed it :eek: :p

·
Zach Kowalchuk
427 Posts
Most of my crashes(a lot lately), after they happen, I tend to start laughing my ass off because of how funny they are.

·
3,707 Posts
Mine was in an urban setting (about 11 years ago). Where the sidewalks meet a driveway, there are "mini-ramps" that are created (tiny little lips created. I know all of you have jumped it at one time or another). I was launching off of those and tried to go further and further each time. Well, I went off of one and was leaning too far, and my front wheel came down first. I heard it skid, then turn at a 45 degree angle. My wheel tacoed and jammed against the shock bridge (snapped it in half, actually), which sent me FLYING face first. I came down on the very corner of this guy's lawn and skid about 20 feet. I got up, saw some grass stains on my shoulder, my helmet and a tiny bit of skin on the side of my face where I hit. Other than that, I was good. If I had been angled just a couple of degrees either way, it would've been either the driveway or the sidewalk where I landed and the result wouldn't have been pretty.

·
Zach Kowalchuk
427 Posts
p nut said:
Mine was in an urban setting (about 11 years ago). Where the sidewalks meet a driveway, there are "mini-ramps" that are created (tiny little lips created. I know all of you have jumped it at one time or another). I was launching off of those and tried to go further and further each time. Well, I went off of one and was leaning too far, and my front wheel came down first. I heard it skid, then turn at a 45 degree angle. My wheel tacoed and jammed against the shock bridge (snapped it in half, actually), which sent me FLYING face first. I came down on the very corner of this guy's lawn and skid about 20 feet. I got up, saw some grass stains on my shoulder, my helmet and a tiny bit of skin on the side of my face where I hit. Other than that, I was good. If I had been angled just a couple of degrees either way, it would've been either the driveway or the sidewalk where I landed and the result wouldn't have been pretty.
Lol, I always jump those little things. Its fun.

·
my legs are sore
275 Posts
Not me, but a friend of mine.

While on a ride I took him on a trail with a bunch of tight turns as well as some roots and rocky sections. Not being that experienced, he wasn't very good at shifting his weight and when we got to a patch of soft dirt he went over the bars. I remember it all in slow motion. He laughed all the way over the bars and kept laughing and as he flew through the air and landed. He wasn't going very fast and had a soft enough landing that he didn't get hurt - just covered in dirt. For a long time after that, when ever he brought up his endo it would start him laughing again.

·
Randomhead
1,183 Posts
when I was 5 I used to crash on purpose over, and over and over again. Some people feel like this explains things about me that they didn't understand. Personally, I don't understand how I could do that. But it is a bit of a rush as you go down if it doesn't hurt when you hit. Our front yard had a fairly steep rise at the edge of the road, so I didn't have that far to fall.

I ran into a semi when I was going down a mountain once, he pulled out in front of me and I couldn't stop in time because I flipped him off. I almost missed him by turning down the road he came out of, but I couldn't quite turn hard enough. I was laughing my head off because I was such an idiot for wasting time flipping him off. I seem to have this reaction a lot, it's probably the adrenaline.

·
Registered
36 Posts
New (pretty much learning again) to riding after a 14 year hiatus, I was out in the woods and was about to do a jump.

Well it was the first day on my GRX1, and the chain kinda ghost shifted/skipped on me, add to that, not enough speed, and not enough technique I endos and almost went over the bars.
I rode on the front tire for probably 5 feet before the rear came down, sure made my shoulders sore as I'm a 250lb guy. After I stopped I just started laughing and felt fortunate.

A few days later my first shuttling experience on my reign, I was coming down the path slowly and came to a tree that wasn't perpendicular to the trail and didn't pull the front up high enough to go over it, so the front tire slide along the tree to the left and I slide down the hill to the right as it dumped me off the bike.

Again I laughed that one off as I was in full body armor :D

·
IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
730 Posts
a while ago when i got my first bike with hydro brakes, a spec. bighit on the first day i had it I was showing it off to my friends who all had nice bikes at the time... I tried to do a bunny hop with it and was having some trouble getting it into the air as it is a heavy mo fo,

anyhow, i ended up accidently holding the left brake lever just a little bit with a finger when i went to pull up on the bars to bunnyhop and finally i got both wheels off the ground, but i was going so fast and my finger was on the brake (on my v-brake using hardtail this would have not mattered) that when i landed the bike was completley glued to the ground, but I was moving quite damn fast, I endoed hardcore and the bike flew over me... landed on top of me and skidded upside down like 8 feet...

It was a good laugh... i wish i could have seen me... and to this day i have not seen another bike with such gnarly scrapes on the top of the handle bars...

·
Registered
12 Posts
This was before I rode MTB but when I was younger we were riding along a river bank and across the river (20 feet or so) was a canoe shop which happend to be the starting point for one of the largest canoe races in michigan well I cliped a tree with my handle bars and went straight in to the river with about 500 people across the river lol.

recently I came off the edge of a log pile and was stoped in my tracks by a small down tree and I went over my bars.. all I could do was laugh

·
Registered
11 Posts
1. First time out on a mtn bike and wasn't familiar with the whole "getting off the seat" concept. Followed a friend down some long stairs in a park and went over the handlebars with no helmet. I tucked and rolled and was just fine. Couple scraps nothing serious.
2. Once again early on following some friends and still wasn't a master of the previous seat concept. Began losing control on a bumpy downhill and ran into a handrail. I went over the handrail and my bike just stayed there. Again i was fine. Pretty shaken up but those were intense crashes that after all is said and done was some the most fun riding ever!!

·
nOOb
597 Posts
I was going down a steep, rutted dirt downhill section. I got caught in the rut, and the front wheel stuck, putting me over the bars. I landed on my ass, in a seated position, and for some reason I put my hand up. Out of the corner of my eye I must have instinctively caught the bike pivoting around and I caught the pedal (Shimano 747 to be exact) headed towards my mouth. It would have taken my teeth out if I hadn't seen it coming. I giggled a bit, but "enjoyed" the fact that I saved myself. My friend above me stopped and got a good laugh at me also. I had torn the ass out of my brand new shorts.

·
Thread Killer
771 Posts
yep, going on a slight downhill on a tight singletrack, i took a corner a little wide and went straight on into a big ol' boulder. thankfully i was on platform pedals, and i got hurled over the handlebars...i had enough steam that i essentially did a vertical jump over the handlebars (as in, my head and feet stayed pretty much on a vertical plane), landed and rolled out, then got back on my bike again.

·
FeeRideRules
217 Posts
about 2 weeks ago was gunning it towards a big dirt jump & @ the last second decided to bail :eek:ut: so turned my wheel to the right avoided the jump & wouldn't you know it :blush: I forgot there was a pond just a few meters to the side of the jump :madman: & yup splash head first over the handle bars :yikes: as my front wheel dug into the soft mud, was quite funny but boy was it uncomfy & cold for the next few hours while I dried :lol:

·
Registered
9,886 Posts
A number of years ago was riding with a buddy of mine - riding along, he hit a hole that was filled with water, went OTB and broke his collarbone (that was the not so good part)

So as I am helping him, a dozen women come along on a hike, all start "awww, you poor thing" etc. He managed to get dates with three of them afterward........

·
Registered
106 Posts
Great thread idea. :thumbsup:

My favorite (humorous) crash didn't involve much pain at all. I lost control and went off the trail on a tight sidehill type of corner and my bike and I went tumbling down the mountain into the woods. I landed amid some holly bushes and saplings, so there were some pin pricks, but the funniest thing was that I ended up with legs and arms so twisted into my bike and the bushes that it was a bit like working a Rubik's Cube as I figured out how to disentangle myself and get back upright. It was complicated by the fact that gravity kept wanting to pull me further down the slope with every move. I remember laughing aloud at the time, even though I was riding solo.

·
Bike Geek
283 Posts
During my first year riding off road I pulled a number of endos being a newb and all. I was getting brave and begining to try some of the larger log piles along the trail. This one was around 4 ft high. As I hit it I road up it very nicely, then i remembered that the other half hand decayed and it was a 3 ft or so drop. I promptly endo straight over the bars. The girl ridding behind me said that I kept the bike perfectly perpendicular all the way over. I was still clipped in upside down in the middle of the trail.......couldn't stop laughing.

Brew

·
Registered
189 Posts
A trail that I used to ride has a two-option creek crossing. You can either ride the trail down to the water or wheelie drop a rock that juts out into the creek. The first time I attempted the second option, I didn't get the front wheel up high enough and endoed into the creek. It was really hot that day and the cool water felt great.

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,164 Posts
-G- said:
Great thread idea. :thumbsup:

...... I remember laughing aloud at the time, even though I was riding solo.
I had a similar one a few years back. Zig zagging between pine trees and this one tight turn has a slight drop at the same time. Some how managed to cross up the front wheel and stopped all forward motion...and tip over while clipped in.
One tree trunk somehow managed to wedge between the seat post and me and the frame. So I got to hang there for a couple minutes jammed between the tree and the bike while I tried to get my feet unclipped and slowly extract my self. Got out of it with only minor bark abrasion and a nice glob of pitch on my seat. No sliding off the saddle for the rest of that ride. :lol:

·
Extra Crispy
526 Posts
I went OTB when trying to hop up a curb the other day. I did a little power kick to get the front wheel over, and as I pulled up with my feet to get the back wheel over, I guess I grabbed a handful of front brake and whoop, OTB I go. My back bent like a pretzel and the seat hit me in the back. I came to a rest with the bike on top of me, both feet still clipped in. I was riding with my dad at the time, so naturally, his parent instinct kicks in and thinks I've knocked a tooth out or something, so he locks up his brakes and hurriedly asks if I'm okay.

I would have said I was fine if I wasn't laughing so hard.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I was riding a local trail that I ride quite often and I was feeling great. I saw a small jump in the trail, 6" maybe, and decide to just hit it with as much speed as possible. I pedal hard and hit it, trying my best to force all the air out of that jump as possible. well, I happened to take of a little off camber, which made my landing a little off camber. I tried to straighten out but the bike got wobbly on me and I knew I was going down. I decided to just ditch the bike into the adjourning woods and save as much dignity as possible so I jumped off and tossed it to my right and I hit the dirt, laughing even before I had landed. I had a cut on my leg but no serious damage. I really, really wished that my buddy had been there to see it because he loves laughing at me and I like little more than giving him a good occasion to do it, and he would have gotten a kick out of that one. the best part? I went back there a few times over the next week and each time my tire marks were still there.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts