Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Got Chicken Legs?

• Yes... you wanna make somethin' of it?

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Yes, and I will still outclimb your sorry butt

Votes: 9 14.1%
  • Yes. STFU

Votes: 9 14.1%
  • No

Votes: 39 60.9%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Praise Bob
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all... Yes I am BORED. I was just thinking how no matter how much I bike and how much I work legs in the gym, I will always have dreaded chicken legs. I guess it's just genetics. I was a bean pole until I turned 30 and started putting on weight. I just never got calves. Whats up with that? It kinda sucks since legs are the hallmark of the experienced rider. Anyone else got skinny legs despite that fact they can outclimb their buddies?

Just wonderin'
-mike

·
crap magnet
572 Posts
Around here we call them "Baby Calf Legs."

I've got 'em bad! :madman:

·
Ride the dream
1,381 Posts
You could always put in some road miles (road or mtb) and ONLY use very high gears.

It hurts like hell, but you see results, and end up with massive legs - its not the best way to ride your fun rides though

·
Is that Bill rated?
440 Posts
They call me Calfzilla

I have repeatedly heard people on group rides remark that they wish their quads were as big as my calves. I gotta say, it makes walking up hill way easy, but really does nothing for your climbing while on the bike. Be glad you aren't carrying the extra muscle around.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Lord Humongous said:
I have repeatedly heard people on group rides remark that they wish their quads were as big as my calves. I gotta say, it makes walking up hill way easy, but really does nothing for your climbing while on the bike. Be glad you aren't carrying the extra muscle around.
I'm just happy to hear i'm not the only one that has a huge calves! actually it got smaller when i started riding.. hehehe

·
Hillbilly Scientist
84 Posts
I'm a trainer, it's genetic. You probably have a bigger ass and thighs. Most sprinters have chicken calves. It has a lot to do with ethnicity too. A lot of blacks and Russians have smaller calves and more developed upper legs. They evolved on plains and on the steps. Irish, northern Europeans and slovaks evolved in mountainous or hilly regions,hence the calves- all slow twitch muscle fiber for slow deliberate climbing. I've seen guys with small calves who have twice the power of guys with developed looking calves. It's all in the efficiency of the muscle and how you train...but yes you are probable stuck with the chicken legs all your life. They are just more efficient. An antelope does'nt have big bulky calves at the end of it's legs- too heavy for the end of the lever arm- not good for speed.

Spartacus Rex said:
First of all... Yes I am BORED. I was just thinking how no matter how much I bike and how much I work legs in the gym, I will always have dreaded chicken legs. I guess it's just genetics. I was a bean pole until I turned 30 and started putting on weight. I just never got calves. Whats up with that? It kinda sucks since legs are the hallmark of the experienced rider. Anyone else got skinny legs despite that fact they can outclimb their buddies?

Just wonderin'
-mike

·
Hey! Watch This!
75 Posts
Luigiugueto said:
So true, you don't know what mosquitoes are like down south.. no winter, but three times as much mosquitoes lol.
Oh, I sure do. I'm originally from Oklahoma. Now I live in College Station, TX.

I just brought up the point about cold because I am a wuss about the cold. :rolleyes: :p

·
Praise Bob
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You all are the best!

CoalHillsMcKracken said:
I'm a trainer, it's genetic. You probably have a bigger ass and thighs. Most sprinters have chicken calves. It has a lot to do with ethnicity too. A lot of blacks and Russians have smaller calves and more developed upper legs. They evolved on plains and on the steps. Irish, northern Europeans and slovaks evolved in mountainous or hilly regions,hence the calves- all slow twitch muscle fiber for slow deliberate climbing. I've seen guys with small calves who have twice the power of guys with developed looking calves. It's all in the efficiency of the muscle and how you train...but yes you are probable stuck with the chicken legs all your life. They are just more efficient. An antelope does'nt have big bulky calves at the end of it's legs- too heavy for the end of the lever arm- not good for speed.
I never thought I would get any responses to such a post. I really appreciate it. All joking aside, the post I quoted above is really informative. I played basketball in highschool (eons ago) and can really sprint. I thought for sure that would have given me legs, but now I realize that's not necessarily the case. My legs are really cut, just thin and long. Most of my 6' 2" comes from the legs. I definitely will be telling everyone "...hey they are more efficient (not to mention aerodynamic)"!

Edit ->> BTW You nailed the ethnicity. My mom is from the flatlands of Germany and my Dad is from Naples. All flatlanders. And I do have quads/butt...just no calves.

I love it!

Thanks to all for giving me a good laugh while stuck in the office.

·
Huh?
344 Posts
I had chicken legs, but I've graduated to calf legs (say what you will, calf legs are bigger than chicken legs) due to two years of 500 pound safety squats, cause i hate the normal squat. My legs haven't' gotten bigger but I am more explosive.

So my point here is, size really doesn't matter, because the muscle might be underneath.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.