Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im onto DIY light number two. This one is for my little cousin though, hes under 18 and doesnt have much money to spend. So I thought why not a Hammond case build?

This is what Im after : https://picasaweb.google.com/114913017103951014562/DIYEasy5XCreeXPG

Its just pictures and some things are listed. But what I want to know is

1. Which XPGs are they? I cant find any sqaure ones
2. On the maxflex, can we use a DX driver?
3. I can use any monetary swtich right?
4. Do you think the case can handle the thermals? I can get the case on the CNC machine, and machine some heatsink into it.
5. I would most likely build an 18650 battery pack from DX too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Uh oh. So then go with what then? I don't have to use the low profile Hammond box, u can use the standard one...

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
there are quite a few Hammond case/ Citizen Kane style light builds on here, though most use the larger Hammond cases so that they can use the 20mm stars and optics.

A DX driver would be fine, just make sure that the battery has some overdischarge protection built in so that your cousin doesn't toast the battery pack. If you use a DX style driver, you need a reverse clicky or SPST switch that can handle the current draw.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I helped a friend build a very similar light to the one you are proposing. It has the following specification:

Four XP-Gs on 10mm square MCPCBs

Carclo 10417 10mm optics (Carclo Technical Plastics - Opticselect)

A cheap, DX driver (18V 5W Cree Circuit Board for Flashlights (16.8mm*5.5mm) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme)

This was all mounted in a Hammond case similar to the one you are proposing to use. It is powered by a nominal 14.8V battery pack consisting of four 18650 wired in series and gives a run time of around 2 hours 15 minutes.

The driver has no levels, it is a straight 1Amp output and the light uses a simple on/off toggle switch for simplicity.

The optics are quite floody as Vancbiker says but more than adequate for fast trail riding. The light is very neat and compact and my friend loves it. On paper this sort of spec should output around 1400 lumens. There appears to be no issues with heatsinking thus far and he has been using the light for over a year without any problems.

If you have any more questions let me know.

Hope that helps

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. That helps alot. I think now that I look back, I think I seen wheel you did post up something... do you have beam shots? I could run 5 of those led too if I wanted to, right? And the floody light should be ok for a bar light, right?

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
104them17 too floody? Depends on how you use
It really comes down to preferences about beam type, light size and power consumption IMO. My first microlight (2 up XPG) that used the Carclo 10417 optic only gets usable light out ~60ft. The next microlight (2 up XPG) with Regina reflectors (lightly modified) gets usable light out to ~100ft. Some would say that the Regina is too tight a beam, but it suits me fine.

A 4up XPG with Carclo 10417 could be a bit smaller than the 2 up regina but might not have enough area to shed the heat. It also would have half the runtime (power source being equal). It would probably get usable light out to ~100 feet though.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Thanks. That helps alot. I think now that I look back, I think I seen wheel you did post up something... do you have beam shots? I could run 5 of those led too if I wanted to, right? And the floody light should be ok for a bar light, right?
This is the post for the Hammond-based light that I helped my friend build:

Black Dog

No beam shots I am afraid. I personally wouldn't bother with 5 XP-Gs. The increased brightness of the extra LED will be fairly marginal for all the extra effort and cost of a larger battery, case, driver etc.

I think the 4 XP-G light that my friend built makes an excellent bar light with a nice flood for off-road work and enough throw as well for fast riding. I wouldn't recommend using it on the road though, if you were thinking of that at all. The spread of the beam will annoy oncoming drivers unless you angle it down very low and then you wouldn't get enough throw to be able to see far enough down the road.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.