Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to get my first 29 " bike and am leaning most toward the One 9; I haven't had a HT bike in several years and am going to go full rigid. Riding today, I was sitting wondering what it would be like to just have one frickin' gear, asking myself, "would I want this one, this one?". I think part of it would be really cool, but I started wondering if it would get old. But, the simplicity is so damn appealing.

I also know a bike like the SIR would allow for both options (SS and gears).

So, my question is, has anybody bought a dedicated SS and regretted it. Keeping in mind this would be a second bike; I have a FS 26 that I love. Thanks.

·
Over the Hill
1,769 Posts
I have never owned a light geared bike, they have all been over 32 lbs. Rode my One-9 for years as a single speed but for a few rides wished I had a light geared bike. Point is I now switch out my rear wheel on my One-9 with a Alpine Hub to get that light geared bike. So you are not suck with a One-9 only being a single speed. I run a 20 tooth on both my SS wheel and my Alpine hub so it is easy to switch back and forth.

Dean

Attachments

·
Keep it Simple Stupid!!!
359 Posts
It's Nice to have both bikes. Single Speed and geared. Different tools for different jobs. If most of your rides have long sustained climbs that take over 30 min to an hour you will wish you had gears.

I love my single speed, it has made me a better Stronger rider and is much less maintenance. Some of the Epic rides I do in California have 3400 ft of elevation gain so I prefer gears there and would probably not even own a single speed there. But in Phoenix single speeds are really nice as many of the trails have more moderate elevation gains.

Single Speeds will surprise you with the efficiency of a lighter bike with a straight chain line. Once again My Vote is one of each.
Steel Freak:crazy: :crazy:

·
I Void Waranties
541 Posts
never; then again its all ive ever owned. The nine one is a awesome bike, but i have never tried it on rigid fork.

·
Singletrack minded
1,948 Posts
I have a SIR that was rigid SS and I converted it to 9 spd w/100mm fork. While I don't 'regret it' I do miss the SS very much. Not just the fact it was one gear, but the light weight which affects many aspects of the Ride in a positive way. Also I also find the SS drivetrain has noticably less resistance - straight chainline, no jockey wheels etc. (Just noticed Steel Freak has said this as well, so it must be true...).
Rigid - adds another whole interesting dimension and makes climbing sooo much more efficient..
If you're stressed out nothing beats taking this bike out on a smooth undulating fireroad.

If you're worried about gearing flexibility with the ONE/SIR9 EBB you can easily use 3 different size cogs on the one chain.

·
Super Moderator
4,552 Posts
Switched over to only SS mt. bikes last summer and have no regrets.

I love the simplicity, I live the quietness, I love the simplified maintenance, I love the "feeling" of the trail under my wheels, I love the "do or do not" ethic for riding.

One 9 is a fine, fine frame to build a great bike.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Steel Freak said:
It's Nice to have both bikes. Single Speed and geared. Different tools for different jobs.
Agreed. Check out the "quick poll" on this site: "how many bikes do you own?" The most common answer surprised me.

http://www.mtbr.com/qikVote_2515crx.aspx

I have one singlespeed and one x-c dualie, used about 50-50 in the area I live. If I'm on a horrendous climbing ride, it's the dualie. I'm not a wimp, but I'm not a masochist either.

If I lived in Moab, I would have to have a long travel dualie to the quiver, and the other two might just gather some dust. I'm not an animal who could get up Slick Rock climbs without a granny gear. And I cracked an x-c dualie frame on Porcupine Rim without even doing anything over a 2-3 foot drop. 4 inches of travel is the wrong tool. And sorry, my SS would not be either.

·
Keep it Simple Stupid!!!
359 Posts
I ride my $850 single speed 29er about 80% of the time and my $5000 geared full suspension bike the other 20%. I only ride the geared bike when I know I'm gonna be doing long sustained climbs, I ride the single speed the rest of the time and commute to work on it too.

The quietness of no de-railers, chain slap, are spoiling. Makes you wonder why people ride those complicated contraptions. But like I said before different tools for different jobs.

Single speeds make great everyday hard use bikes, no de-railer to bend out of adjustment throwing it in the trunk, rear wheel removed and reinstalled easier, just simpler and more functional than people realize. Regrets no way actually I'm really surprised how much I love riding single speed.:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have a SIR9 that I run SS *most* of the time.

I run gears when there is a lot of snow on the ground. Plowing through the snow in the hilly areas where I ride results in too low of a cadence and ends up being a bit much for my junk knees...even at 33/22 gearing.

I also run gears when I'm going to a new place I'm not familiar with. It didn't take too many SS rides where my gearing was a mile off, or where I spent a lot of time off the bike 'cause I got "caught out" on climbs that I didn't maintain proper momentum going into, to decide that running gears, at least the first time, was a good idea for me.

If the SIR9 was a dedicated SS, there would be times it'd be an issue for me as I don't have a "decent" geared bike to ride in those instances mentioned above. However, if I did, the SIR9 would never have gears on her.

As soon as the purchase of my new road bike becomes a vague recollection for my wife, I'll probably build up a Jet9 or Sultan and leave the SIR9 a SS for the rest of it's life :thumbsup:

·
Registered
509 Posts
I to have two mtbs..The RIP9 for more climbing and tearing up the downhill. And a SIR9 I just got and loving it. Its a whole different way of riding to me. So you can ride the same trail and have two different expreiences,..anyway I like the change....

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
This would be less fun on my ss. I would rather clean it in granny gear (and spin like an old man) than hike.

Just sayin'

·
Registered
681 Posts
twelve34 said:
I am going to get my first 29 " bike and am leaning most toward the One 9; I haven't had a HT bike in several years and am going to go full rigid. Riding today, I was sitting wondering what it would be like to just have one frickin' gear, asking myself, "would I want this one, this one?". I think part of it would be really cool, but I started wondering if it would get old. But, the simplicity is so damn appealing.

I also know a bike like the SIR would allow for both options (SS and gears).

So, my question is, has anybody bought a dedicated SS and regretted it. Keeping in mind this would be a second bike; I have a FS 26 that I love. Thanks.
sounds like you would really like it..........if you have a fs you like then a dedicated ss is a great addition.....sometimes I think i should just sell mine, b/c i recently got a carbon ht geared bike in addition to my rip 9...........then I rode it again today, I just cant give it up..........the quiet simplicicty and differnet type of workout is just to nice..........

Attachments

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Tough Workout!

I have been riding my RIP only for a few months and recently built up another SS. I rode SS in the past but I forgot what an a$$ kicker it can be.

·
COMBO - President
296 Posts
Had a Gary Fisher Rig, sold it within a year. Buddy has a Vicious, after a year he is selling it.

Different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
From my experience, don't get a single speed if you aren't going to ride it regularly.
Some of my friends added single speeds to their stable of bikes, but most of the time they rode their geared bikes. When they finally get on the single speed it hurts too much so the next ride it is back to gears.

For quite awhile I only had one bike - my SIR9 single speed. I finally added a RIP9 and a Santa Cruz Bullit, but the SIR9 gets 90% of the love. If I had to go back to having just one bike, it would be a hard choice because it's nice to have the RIP9 for places like Moab, but I'd probably stick with the SIR9. I just love that bike too damned much.

·
Pedaling Fool
128 Posts
Too early to tell for me.

Have a SIR 9 that I got last fall. Rode it SS for the first time the other day. I found it more frustrating than challenging. I push myself pretty hard on a geared bike and get a good burn in the legs going. On the SS I felt very relaxed. If a climb was too steep, I had to stop and walk, where I'd usually grind up and collapse at the top (not really) on the geared bike. It made for a much different take on the same trail. I def need a lot of practice on the SS.

I always view learning a new way to ride the same trail a good way to improve my racing, so I'll see if it helps me this season.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
It has been an interesting week for me. I got my dually (Rocky ETS-X50) out for a ride as part of an adventure race at Henry Coe this last weekend, with new tires (panaracer fire xc pros) and some slick technical downhill single track, I was loving how it hooked up and was really happy with the ride. I loathed having to clean it when I got home though.

Just last week, I got my Sir9 built up as a singlespeed and finally after a bit of a dry spell took it out on my local trail. There is a good long climb at the start of the ride and then some challenging short climbs on the single track on the downhill. I didn't have to walk, but it certainly was a bit more work to climb.

So far, I like the simplicity of the Sir9 and have been getting a little annoyed with the maintenance of the dual suspension. The next week or two should be interesting as I bring the Sir9 out for some hill climb practice in prep for Sea Otter.

-jim

·
Registered
270 Posts
Umm. I'm sure I'm going to come across as one of those ss purist fools but....... How is a 1 by 9 the best of both worlds?? It's geared!!!!!! gears are gears. SS is SS. there is no in between here.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts