Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my hecklers a bit too heavy for all day rides, 36lbs ish, so i could spend some money lightening it up (and maybe being disappointed with air shocks v coils)
or i could sell heckler frame and get a good deal on an intense 6.6 frame and at least have more travel for slightly lighter weight (only 1/2 a pound or so)
i love my heckler but its tempting
anyone gone from heckler to intense 6.6 and liked it, hated it? did you miss the heckler?

·
noMAD man
12,059 Posts
I'm not so sure about your weight comparison. Throw out the rear shock, and I think you'll find the two frames to be very close in weight. Like you mention, the real benefit will be the extra travel in the 6.6 and maybe a ride quality difference. I can only compare the difference between a Nomad and Heckler which will be quite close. The 6.6 is going to be a better pedaling bike, especially in rough terrain. Perhaps the VPP design's strong point is the way it pedals under any conditions, but especially when traction or terrain is at a premium. I'm amazed at how well rear wheel traction and control continues when the terrain gets rougher...rock gardens, etc. I can continue to pedal strongly in gnarly areas that my Bullit or a Heckler would not or became extremely difficult to do so. I'm not talking about some horrible comparison effect here, but one that is still fairly noticeable. There is less of an impact when not under a pedaling load IMO, but even then it's still there. The Heckler and Bullit have this sensation of trying to "hang up" in bigger, faster successive hits, and in slower rocky/technical terrain, they occasionally have an easier tendency to stall or stop. The VPP bikes have less of this. Once again, I'm not saying the level of this tendency in the Heckler is horrid, but it is there. In reality I did not notice the level of this "hang up" until I had ridden my Nomad in some fairly rough places that I had also ridden my Bullit. I think this quality that the VPP design has will be the biggest enjoyable factor that you'll notice overy your Heckler. The inch or so difference in travel may not be as big a factor as this small but important ride quality difference.

·
Freeriding Feline
2,548 Posts
I'm Doing It

This thread made me laugh because that's exactly what I'm doing!
6.6 should be in this week...Heckler frame is going up for sale.
Sorry SC Forum...But I still have the VP free! That'll never go!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts