Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, what method did you use to stick with the stock Stylo cranks? Where'd you find a decent chainring? The stock 22 tooth is too small for me, and the 32 tooth middle ring I'm using is too big I think.

·
I dig trails!
5,611 Posts
Tarekith said:
Just curious, what method did you use to stick with the stock Stylo cranks? Where'd you find a decent chainring? The stock 22 tooth is too small for me, and the 32 tooth middle ring I'm using is too big I think.
Look to single speed chainrings: Salsa, etc.

For the chainring bolts you can either use SS chainring bolts (shorter) or get bolt spacers (like thicker washers) from your LBS. I forgot you might be using a bash, at which point your bolts will be fine.

P

·
Registered
538 Posts
you needn't do anything serious. you can get a cheap plastic chain guide and a bashring. works just fine on my stumpy and 03-07 enduros. it's the same thing that comes on all their road bikes. costs like 5 bucks. any shop can order them.

or you can use the chain watcher, but i've had that device slip on me a lot more. i've also experimented with a blackspire stinger flipped so it guides the top of the chainring. a bit overkill, IMHO. but i'm doing xc/am with the setups i have mentioned. for dh, i use a dedicated guide. i might do the inverted stinger for the next trip to diablo. not sure yet, ankle needs to heal so i got time to think it over.

and for chainrings, you can get salsas or even truvativ. also RF does a single ring and some saint sizes are out there. i'd keep that 32. a 1x9 setup won't take anything smaller on a 4 bolt pattern. i run a 32 for mountain and 34 for commuting. always 32t cassettes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.