Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
0gre said:
Thinking about heading up the hill for my first Tahoe weekend. Anyone going to be up there? I'm not sure what I would be riding, maybe Toads?? I can usually get a nice room and would be willing to split the deal.
I'm going up to South Lake Tahoe with the family, where we're renting a cabin. I'll probably do TRT and the Flume from Mt. Rose to Spooner on Friday morning. My wife is still lacking complete agreement with my biking plans, but I'll remind her the 4th is my bday.

I've never done this route, but it looks not to be too strenuous, as well as easy to navigate and I have the GPS tracks from others. As such, I'm just likely to go solo but willing to have company.

Oh, love your new avatar. That body paint is amazing and quite a good disguise.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
BigLarry said:
I'm going up to South Lake Tahoe with the family, where we're renting a cabin. I'll probably do TRT and the Flume from Mt. Rose to Spooner on Friday morning. My wife is still lacking complete agreement with my biking plans, but I'll remind her the 4th is my bday
A couple friends and I drove up last night from Roseville for a quick mid-week ride. We're staying in Carson City, so ~10 miles from Spooner. We'll be doing the commercial shuttle, probably coming down the Flume, then riding N on the TRT to the overlooks, down the switchbacks, and back on Red House.

Larry, if you want a continuous .gpx of it, I can send it on this eve.

·
Snowjnky McDreamy
2,560 Posts
Going Thursday night
Toads on Friday
N* on Sat
TRT Spooner to Star Lake Sun
Staying right off of Kingsbury

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
anotherbrian said:
A couple friends and I drove up last night from Roseville for a quick mid-week ride. We're staying in Carson City, so ~10 miles from Spooner. We'll be doing the commercial shuttle, probably coming down the Flume, then riding N on the TRT to the overlooks, down the switchbacks, and back on Red House.

What you already sent was great and good enough for my planning. But hey, one can never get enough data - so sure if you got time.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Saturday only...

I was planning on heading up for Saturday only. Was thinking Spooner to Toads. Or.... starting at Big Meadow, TRT to Toads, down Toads, up Corral to Armstrong Pass. TRT out to Star Lake. Then TRT all the way back to Big Meadows.

Does anyone know the conditions over Freel pass?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Brainstump said:
I was planning on heading up for Saturday only. Was thinking Spooner to Toads. Or.... starting at Big Meadow, TRT to Toads, down Toads, up Corral to Armstrong Pass. TRT out to Star Lake. Then TRT all the way back to Big Meadows.

Wow! That's some early season epics you have planned there.

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
6,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Brainstump said:

I've heard Freel is still covered but that was a couple weeks ago, we could try it. I'm planning on staying at Kingsbury so maybe we ride from Spooner and when we get to Freel see how far we can make it. If we can't make the pass just return to Kingsbury. I'm game.

No blow ups this time?

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
My Tahoe plans over the 4th are still in flux so not sure when I'll be able to ride and how long, so it might be some early morning knock em out fast type rides. I'll keep an eye on this thread though if it looks like I can get away for an extended day, I'd be down for a Rose to Burgerkingsbury or Punisher or Spooner->Toads run.

·
Registered
266 Posts
anotherbrian said:

Couple of us will be riding from Carson to Spooner and possibly the Flume Thursday (I feel my sore throat coming on now) to try and beat the 4th crowds. Leaving the house at 9:00...Always room for more if you want to check out the ride from here.

·
youtube.com/quik564
112 Posts
Thinking of hitting Tahoe Thursday... toads, flume and N* come to mind, prob play it by ear...
Can't find any camping avail... any hotel/crash pad recommendations?
Coming from Mtn View, if anyones wants to rideshare...

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
6,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Brainstump said:
I just got off the horn with MTBCanuck, we're going to do Spooner to Toads and if Freel is closed we'll just return to Kingbury.

For right now it looks like:
Friday I think I'm going to chill with Big L if you are still game? I'm going to try and talk Fiona into coming along, probably just drop the $20 each and pay for the shuttle.

Saturday:
BurgerKingsbury at 8:15AM and driving to Spooner from there. We'll try and cram everyone into one car and leave the rest at BK.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
0gre said:
I just got off the horn with MTBCanuck, we're going to do Spooner to Toads and if Freel is closed we'll just return to Kingbury. .
Is this your Saturday Ride? If I can make it I give you a ring Friday night and see if you still have room. You will definitely be able to make it to Toads, worse case you have to go though a couple hundred yards of snow, probably already tracks to follow.

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
6,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TahoeBC said:
Is this your Saturday Ride? If I can make it I give you a ring Friday night and see if you still have room. You will definitely be able to make it to Toads, worse case you have to go though a couple hundred yards of snow, probably already tracks to follow.
Very cool. Yes that's our Saturday Ride, 8:15 BurgerKingsbury. I've corrected the above post too. It would be great to see you. I'll skip the safety breaks this time ;)

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
0gre said:
Friday I think I'm going to chill with Big L if you are still game? I'm going to try and talk Fiona into coming along, probably just drop the $20 each and pay for the shuttle.
Sounds Fun!

I'm not sure how to shuttle, but for now I was thinking of just getting my wife to drop me off and pick me up later. I can carry up to six people and four bikes on my T-X in the camping configuration, with cargo on top instead of more bike racks. Otherwise, I'd be able to do six bikes like I just did for Ales & Trails.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Spooner to Toads

0gre said:
I just got off the horn with MTBCanuck, we're going to do Spooner to Toads and if Freel is closed we'll just return to Kingbury.

Saturday:
BurgerKingsbury at 8:15AM and driving to Spooner from there. We'll try and cram everyone into one car and leave the rest at BK.
Sound like a plan! Spooner to Toads it is. :thumbsup: :D

My wife and her friend may be coming up with me to kayak for the day. If they do come with, I'll just meet you guys at Spooner @ 8:30 am on Saturday.

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
6,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BigLarry said:
Sounds Fun!

I'm not sure how to shuttle, but for now I was thinking of just getting my wife to drop me off and pick me up later. I can carry up to six people and four bikes on my T-X in the camping configuration, with cargo on top instead of more bike racks. Otherwise, I'd be able to do six bikes like I just did for Ales & Trails.
Well we could do that if your wife is willing to drive us up to Mt. Rose. Otherwise you can just have her drop us at spooner and pay the bike shop $20 to shuttle us.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Punisher +

0gre said:
I'm planning on staying at Kingsbury so maybe we ride from Spooner and when we get to Freel see how far we can make it. If we can't make the pass just return to Kingsbury. I'm game.

No blow ups this time?
What do they call this ride? Super Punisher or Punisher Plus?

Here's my MotionBased link for Spooner to Toads:
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/3961872

42 miles/8000 ft of elevation gain. I did this ride last September preparing for our Rose to Toads ride. This ride kicked my ass....and I did it as a loop!:eekster:

Can't wait to do it again!

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Brainstump said:
and I did it as a loop!:eekster:
It's a little more fun not to do it as a loop ;) you sicko

And just to clarify that's Spooner Summit as a meet, right side of 50 (as your heading to Carson) TRT parking lot, Not Spooner lake.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.