Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Hella Olde
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been considering going. How is the spectating for an event like this?
I'm not sure. Seems like you'd want to get to one of the more technical sections. I think some lift use will be available to spectators and their bikes but I really don't know. I'd probably just end up drinking too many beers and getting super dirty and facing a 3 hour drive back down the mountain.

OK - I did a little reading. You need an 18$ lift ticket unless you want to ride up to mid-mountain and you can ride any non-race trail.
All the info is here:
https://www.northstarcalifornia.com...xperiences/california-enduro-series-race.aspx

Looks like when the EWS has moved on there will be some new trails to ride:

Stage 1:Sticks & stones > (New) River Styx >Stage 4: (New) Tell No Tails Woods > Manure Pile > Kickback Tech > Kickback Stage 5: Dog Bone Stage 2:Sinuous > Karpiel Stage 6: Boondocks Stage 3: Tahoe Trail > (New) Tahoe Trail Short Cut > Upper Karpiel > Sticks & Stones > Mineshaft > Liiftline

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
At a ton of other races spectators line the tracks and cheer on the racers. But this is California where everyone is too busy to care about anyone but themselves, so I assume spectating will be half-way decent at best. I can't image it will be anywhere near as spectator involved as TDS.
Crowd Flag Luggage and bags Audience Backpack

Soil Adventure Photography Travel Off-roading

·
Registered
875 Posts
Yeah I will be there racing. I am hoping they can get the trails patched up today and tomorrow enough where come race day they aren’t completely bombed out. Hopefully the limit on practice runs will preserve the trails a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
830 Posts
I might head up to spectate.

Are backpacks with food/drink allowed up the hill? How about larger cameras like DSLRs?

Figured I'd ask now because I definitely do not want to be leaving any valuables in my car.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Holy crap it looks completely bombed out up there. The pinkbike “shakeout” day video is full on brown pow. The stage preview videos are no better. I think everyone is going to have brown teeth this weekend.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Holy crap it looks completely bombed out up there. The pinkbike "shakeout" day video is full on brown pow. The stage preview videos are no better. I think everyone is going to have brown teeth this weekend.

Was thinking same thing..

Also Truckee Rodeo weekend so traffic Sunday....smh

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Ride On!
1,186 Posts
I'm not sure. Seems like you'd want to get to one of the more technical sections. I think some lift use will be available to spectators and their bikes but I really don't know. I'd probably just end up drinking too many beers and getting super dirty and facing a 3 hour drive back down the mountain.

OK - I did a little reading. You need an 18$ lift ticket unless you want to ride up to mid-mountain and you can ride any non-race trail.
All the info is here:
https://www.northstarcalifornia.com...xperiences/california-enduro-series-race.aspx

Looks like when the EWS has moved on there will be some new trails to ride:

Stage 1:Sticks & stones > (New) River Styx >Stage 4: (New) Tell No Tails Woods > Manure Pile > Kickback Tech > Kickback Stage 5: Dog Bone Stage 2:Sinuous > Karpiel Stage 6: Boondocks Stage 3: Tahoe Trail > (New) Tahoe Trail Short Cut > Upper Karpiel > Sticks & Stones > Mineshaft > Liiftline
Just read about the $18 tickets, seems that they are for spectating only :( Did not get the sense that they will let you take your bike to mid-mountain. Got a question, if you ride your bike up to mid-mountain are you allowed to take the trails back down ?

·
Registered
875 Posts
I watched the course preview videos on youtube and I can say my entire body is dreading the queen stage. I think we did something similar last year and my hands were cooked.

·
Hella Olde
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
From the N* FAQ

Can we ride bikes to spectate?

Yes, but you are only allowed to ride open roads and trails to get to the trail heads. No spectators will be allowed down a race trail with their bike.

What trails are open to the public during the event?

Here is a breakdown by day of the trails open to the general public

Friday, August 23 & Saturday, August 24 - Coaster, Gypsy, Livewire, Booster, Playground, Woods(old Big Trees) to the 503Rd (Coolway is closed), Tryumph, Easy Rider, Knick Knack, Paddywack.

Sunday, August 25 - Coaster, Gypsy, Livewire, Booster, Playground, Woods, Manure Pile, Flameout, Sinuous, Karpiel to Tryumph, Tryumph, Easy Rider, Knick Knack, Paddywack.

·
Hella Olde
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just read about the $18 tickets, seems that they are for spectating only :( Did not get the sense that they will let you take your bike to mid-mountain. Got a question, if you ride your bike up to mid-mountain are you allowed to take the trails back down ?
Yes, you can ride - see my FAQ remarks below or see the N* FAQ

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
You can walk up to mid mountain fairly quickly and not have to buy a spectator pass to ride the lift. Or pedal up.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.