Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my wheelset and they seem great. Red XCR rims with black hubs with DT supercomp spokes and red nipples. :)

Has anyone gone tubeless yet?

Thanks!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Rumor has it the XCR rims are re-badged DT 4.2's... so you should be good with their rim strips.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I used the ghetto setup but changed to a rimstrip soon after. With the ghetto set up the Schwalbe 2.4 Racing Ralph measured 2.25, with the rimstrip it measured 2.35.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Zubius said:
I used the ghetto setup but changed to a rimstrip soon after. With the ghetto set up the Schwalbe 2.4 Racing Ralph measured 2.25, with the rimstrip it measured 2.35.
Huh?

Explain how the ghetto setup reduces the width of a tire that much...the tube between the tire and the rim is pretty thin so I can't see how a tire width would be that affected.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
906 Posts
The rumor is from this thread, and perhaps others I can't be bothered to find:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=425212

I would say it's a good thing, the DT 4.2D is a nice rim. Those are the strips I mentioned. If you went with Stan's it would be $60/wheel so $40/wheel is not bad IMHO. Not sure about weight difference... tubeless is more to avoid pinch flats and get better traction and damping performance out of your tires.

·
Ride the dream
1,381 Posts
The only difference ghetto would make is that it effectively gives you the profile of a narrower rim (since you've got around 1mm thickness between the bead and the rim, it would effectively be like running a rim 2mm thinner).

That said, the difference between a rim 2mm wider is not gonna be anywhere close to making a 2.25 into a 2.3 - the profile might change a bit, but its not gonna change the effective width by much at all.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Has anyone used Stans tubeless rims strips???

But...has anybody used the Stans system yet?? been on there website and they offer realy good deals, I like there rims but I don't like buying equipment from manifactures that require one off set ups..If Stans would work I think I may pull the trigger.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Looked on Stans website

If these are DT 4.2d and if the rim width is the same 23.8mm, Stans recomends dipping the rim strip in the soapy water first due to the decreased width of rim...

·
Registered
3 Posts
EnglishT - Mount up a tire using the ghetto way and measure it, then mount the same tire using a rimstrip and let us know your results... Mine are as posted, measured with a digital caliper across the carcass.

EnglishT said:
The only difference ghetto would make is that it effectively gives you the profile of a narrower rim (since you've got around 1mm thickness between the bead and the rim, it would effectively be like running a rim 2mm thinner).

That said, the difference between a rim 2mm wider is not gonna be anywhere close to making a 2.25 into a 2.3 - the profile might change a bit, but its not gonna change the effective width by much at all.

·
Registered
720 Posts
'' If you went with Stan's it would be $60/wheel''

Huh?
Stan's rim strip: $22.50, 20z of sealer:$2.95.

Are you including the cost of the tire?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts