Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the 130 thread but didn't get much feed back.. basically looking for more insight from anyone who went from a 150 to a 130 or even vice versa..

Anyone here go from a 150 to 130? I am highly considering it... I honestly thought I'd make it out to the bike parks, but I clearly wasn't thinking straight when I purchased my SB150 in November of last year. With my second son being born about 6 weeks ago.. and my oldest is 3.5 -- leaving the family for a "day", to get the most out of the parks, is not really in the cards for right now. And I've honestly never even made it to park w/ the 150 yet.

Luckily I can ride almost everyday but I usually keep my outing < 2.5 hours whereas the bike park would be a full day and I'd have an unhappy wife to deal with.

The 150 is an awesome bike -- honestly have no complaints except for my everyday trails it might just be too much? And there are so many trails I think it's overkill and I could be having a little more fun on the 130? Not sure if its the grass is greener mentality..

I guess I should've been more focused on a trail bike rather than a bike that was great on the trails + great at the bike parks. Oh well -- not too upset about it, just curious about others who may have experience this or anyone's insight.

If you're familiar with the trails out here -- I mainly ride North Mills River, Pisgah, Bent Creek-- haven't really been back to Dupont w/ the 150 unless I do Corn Mill Shoals (Big Rock/Burnt Mountain) side.
I am also concerned if I do go for the 130 and eventually "Lunch Ride" it.. obviously the travel is only a 10mm difference front and rear, but will the bike characteristics still be different? I don't want to end up the "same" bike essentially.

I am looking for a bit more playful ride and something for the not as "gnarly" rides where the 150 isn't necessary. It's really hard to say anything negative about the 150.. I just think I over-biked it haha.. also it's a case of the "grass is greener" mentality.

I've also considered getting the 100 and keeping the 150, but I'd prefer to have just 1 bike and maybe go for a proper DH/park bike when the boys are older..

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have a trail built sb100 and use it for everything from xc to bike park .
From what I have read the sb150 is not much heavier or slower on climbs but way faster going down so prob the one to go for . It totally depends on what you want from a bike and how much you like to feel also rider ability

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have a trail built sb100 and use it for everything from xc to bike park .
From what I have read the sb150 is not much heavier or slower on climbs but way faster going down so prob the one to go for . It totally depends on what you want from a bike and how much you like to feel also rider ability
I didn't go from one to the other but have been riding a 150 all summer long and picked up a 130 LR in the last few weeks. I love my 150 but as currently set up for racing (coil, cush core, DD tires, aluminum rims), it's a lot of bike. After a few rides on the 130, I think it gives up very little to the 150 on most of the trails. Even chunky spots I've been really surprised and think that I will likely end up riding the 130 90% of the time except for shuttles and some bike park. The 130 pedals way better and it's running Exo tires with cush core XC so a lot less rotational weight. It's also a lot snappier and playful compared to the 150 so it's been super fun to ride. For me the 100 didn't make sense, I still want a solid trail bike that I can ride most anything on but with a bit of compromise on all out DH speed. In my opinion, the LR can ride all the same trails as the 150, have a lot more fun on intermediate terrain, pedals better if you are willing to make a very slight compromise on the rowdy dh's. The 130 feels very similar to my old 5.5 with just better geo.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't go from one to the other but have been riding a 150 all summer long and picked up a 130 LR in the last few weeks. I love my 150 but as currently set up for racing (coil, cush core, DD tires, aluminum rims), it's a lot of bike. After a few rides on the 130, I think it gives up very little to the 150 on most of the trails. Even chunky spots I've been really surprised and think that I will likely end up riding the 130 90% of the time except for shuttles and some bike park. The 130 pedals way better and it's running Exo tires with cush core XC so a lot less rotational weight. It's also a lot snappier and playful compared to the 150 so it's been super fun to ride. For me the 100 didn't make sense, I still want a solid trail bike that I can ride most anything on but with a bit of compromise on all out DH speed. In my opinion, the LR can ride all the same trails as the 150, have a lot more fun on intermediate terrain, pedals better if you are willing to make a very slight compromise on the rowdy dh's. The 130 feels very similar to my old 5.5 with just better geo.
Great feedback thank you!

I am very interested in gong the LR route -- do you think they're still noticeably different bikes? The 150 vs 130LR? I have a feeling I'll end up going LR, but I don't want to be on the same bike if that makes sense.. its hard to quantify what the 10mm of travel difference will be like.

What you're saying baout the 130LR is exactly what I am looking for.. I could see if I could make it to the bike parks a couple of times a month it would be awesome, but with the trails I ride daily it's making less sense to keep the 150 around.. although as I've said many times it's an awesome bike.. climbs exceptionally well and plows doing down.. I just want that more snappier/playful ride w/ out giving up a ton on the chunky stuff. I'll take better climbing too.. I have no complaints about how the 150 climbs it really is awesome. I do remember on one of my 130 demo rides I was shocked how efficiently it climbed, but was definitely awestruck by the 150 lol. It's funny how even demo-ing these bikes over and over its easy to end up with the "wrong" bike..

How are you on sizing? I am 6'1" and went for a Large on my 150.. with a 50mm stem. I need to get some demos in again on the 130, I remember it feeling tighter than the 150 for some reason. I think the XL will be too spread out for me and might end up with the 50mm stem to split the difference between the two?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I am on a 130 non-LR. 6'2, riding an XL. Can say that I have yet to feel like I have exceeded the bikes capabilities riding all over Northern California and British Columbia. Have considered doing the LR conversion but just haven't felt the need and don't want the bike to get any more slack for tight turns, etc. Having previously owned a Spesh Enduro and 5.5 can honestly say that this bike is more capable going down than either of those (albeit older model year) bikes while climbing MUCH better.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I demoed a 130 and bought a 130LR. Pedaling doesn't feel different to me, if anything the higher BB feels good on anything technical while still maintaining the efficiency. To me, there is a big difference in these bikes in large part due to setup. 130 CLR (Exo's, CC XC, Nox Farlow's, DPX2) and 150 (Assegai DD's, CC Pro, DT 481's, Coil). Close to 1,000g's of rotational weight and a very plush coil makes the two very discernible. I tried going back to carbon wheels on the 150 and it didn't work for how it's ridden. If you have a standard build 150 with Exo's on decent rims, you might not notice as much although from what I recall when I got my 150 and rode in stock form, the 130 is still more efficient pedaling and snappier dh.

XL on size at 6'5".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.