Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
681 - 700 of 710 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Was able to score a Fathom 2 29er here in Montreal, Canada. It has the 0 offset chain ring, and the chain line is way off in easy gears. Glad I knew beforehand about the issue through this forum: saved me some frustration and touch up paint. The shop is all over it and has contacted Giant, but I ordered a SRAM ring through The Bike Shop (online store) in Calgary as a backup in case it takes half the summer to sort things out through the warranty. The SRAM X-Sync 2 was 29$ CAD plus shipping. BTW, no fork click yet!
Glad you knew about it beforehand. My frame is all scared from the chain coming off. If you don't mind, let us know what Giant says. I went for a ride this morning. The SRAM ring worked like a charm...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Glad you knew about it beforehand. My frame is all scared from the chain coming off. If you don't mind, let us know what Giant says. I went for a ride this morning. The SRAM ring worked like a charm...
That would be scary for the frame (lol, sorry, English teacher here). Looking forward to slapping on the new ring and seeing what this bike can do! I'll post an update when I hear back from the shop.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Was able to score a Fathom 2 29er here in Montreal, Canada. It has the 0 offset chain ring, and the chain line is way off in easy gears. Glad I knew beforehand about the issue through this forum: saved me some frustration and touch up paint. The shop is all over it and has contacted Giant, but I ordered a SRAM ring through The Bike Shop (online store) in Calgary as a backup in case it takes half the summer to sort things out through the warranty. The SRAM X-Sync 2 was 29$ CAD plus shipping. BTW, no fork click yet!
If you contact Praxis, they'll ship you a 3mm offset chainring for free. It'll probably be a 32t, but it might be good to have as a future option.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you contact Praxis, they'll ship you a 3mm offset chainring for free. It'll probably be a 32t, but it might be good to have as a future option.

Sweet. Thanks for that. I may end up with a whole inventory of 3mm offset rings. I'll open a stand next to the Giant store.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Anyone else on this thread waiting on a Fathom 29?

I've had a deposit down at a local shop for a couple of months now for a Fathom 29 2, with the original intended arrival week being Week 25 (which was last week). This being the end of Week 26, I called the shop to have them look in the system....and, at least at that moment, all of his Fathom 29 bikes (he'd ordered like 5-6 of them as his full size run for 2021) had been shifted to Week 20....of 2022! Yes, that would mean April of 2022!

I'm still waiting to see what he hears from the regional rep, but I don't have my hopes up given all the supply chain issues. Figured I'd see if anyone has been patiently waiting and just got this news as well!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I contacted Praxis two days ago and they shipped out what appears to be a 30t 3mm offset chainring instead of the 32t they've been sending out for months. Not sure if I'm an outlier or if that will be the norm going forward. The invoice I received listed "30-930 OEM FOR WARRANTY USE - DM30T 3MM-OFFSET WAVE OEM FOR WARRANTY USE"

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'll be getting the 32t Praxis ring through my LBS (they went through Praxis, not Giant). Been riding without using the top two gears (45t and 51t), so 30 front-39 rear, and it's been do-able, if slightly stressful knowing I'm a click away from dumping the chain.

By the way, I found my Fathom 2 locally by just refreshing Giant's web store page a couple of times a day for a few days. The site reflects close to realtime inventory across the entire country. Could be a good option for those on the hunt.

Also, this bike rips! :) so fun to ride, and easy on the eyes. I'm using it mostly for technical XC singletrack with lots of steep sections and berms. I'll post some impressions once I've really had a chance to break it in.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I agree...the bike is super fun. I am NOT a racer, in fact most hard core folks would say I am a novice at best...with that said, I have already cut 5 minutes off my fastest time at my local track from 58 minutes to 53 minutes. The bike is super fun and fast. It is making me a better rider. I am climbing things I never thought I could and going downhill faster than I would have ever attempted before.

Also, I got my bike exactly like Northern Bike did...I was told Giant webpage is up to date and bike orders are haphazard...some orders are being told they will be delivered in 6 months and they show up a week later, others say it will be here in a week and it shows up in 6 months...so I checked the giant webpage a few times and a day and found a bike.

·
Registered
260 Posts
...when you drive to a bike park after a hard week and the SRAM SX shifter stops working on the very first climb, well, you can't believe that feeling... 🤣 :p
View attachment 1936293

Fortunately my car parked close to the bike, I could go back and had all necessary tools in my car to fix it. The issue was, the shifter cable fell in into the gap between the red plastic 'drum' and the spiral spring and the whole mechanism got stuck. (No movement at all, both shifters got stuck.) When I removed the cover, all parts fell apart, it looked like a nightmare to fix it at first but after 25 mins of work I could fix it more or less.

Now, when I'm trying to shift to a slower gear, sometimes the shifter don't shift at all, sometimes only makes a strange noise. After 2.000 km of usage it seems I need to change it to a more durable one from SRAM... (maybe a GX)
after 2 follow-up rides the shifter completely failed.
Changed to SRAM GX Eagle AXS and it's awesome! :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks! I guess the geo chart on Giant's website is inaccurate. It shows everything between the 27.5 and 29 as identical except trail, but the 29 with the longer fork should be a little slacker than the 27.5.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I contacted Praxis two days ago and they shipped out what appears to be a 30t 3mm offset chainring instead of the 32t they've been sending out for months. Not sure if I'm an outlier or if that will be the norm going forward. The invoice I received listed "30-930 OEM FOR WARRANTY USE - DM30T 3MM-OFFSET WAVE OEM FOR WARRANTY USE"
I had a similar experience. I messaged them through their website last Sunday, gave them my address on Monday and a 30t DM-A 3mm offset ring arrived on Wednesday--super easy. Kudos to Praxis.

Any idea why Giant spec'd a 0mm offset chainring to begin with?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had a similar experience. I messaged them through their website last Sunday, gave them my address on Monday and a 30t DM-A 3mm offset ring arrived on Wednesday--super easy. Kudos to Praxis.

Any idea why Giant spec'd a 0mm offset chainring to begin with?
Mine's been fine with a 0mm offset chainring. The 3mm offset Praxis sent (32t) rubs the chainstay. I did find this, though:

Maybe either Praxis or Giant substituted Gen2 cranks for Gen1 and shipped it with the wrong offset?

·
San Miguel Beer Drinker
350 Posts

Hi.
My mechanic Just finished building this up. Will be testing it next weekend.

Mishmash of parts from my ibis and some new ones. Got the frame from local fb marketplace.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So after two months and 700+mi of clicking forks, Giant will be sending out a replacement Crest fork. The shop wants to charge $75 to swap the forks on my bike, which seems like something Giant should be paying for. The funny part is, I had just ordered a Marzocchi Bomber Z2, which arrives Friday. I intend to install the Z2 myself, and bring the shop my old Crest fork to swap.

Unfortunately, I won't really know if they resolved the clicking issue. I still haven't heard of a success story in that regard. (I knew the clicking was likely before I bought the bike)

·
Registered
11 Posts
So after two months and 700+mi of clicking forks, Giant will be sending out a replacement Crest fork. The shop wants to charge $75 to swap the forks on my bike, which seems like something Giant should be paying for. The funny part is, I had just ordered a Marzocchi Bomber Z2, which arrives Friday. I intend to install the Z2 myself, and bring the shop my old Crest fork to swap.

Unfortunately, I won't really know if they resolved the clicking issue. I still haven't heard of a success story in that regard. (I knew the clicking was likely before I bought the bike)
Is the clicking the only reason you switched to the Bomber?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Kudos to praxis. They sent me a 30t 3 degree offset ring for free. The drivetrain works flawlessly now. I had the SRAM ring on but it works even better with the praxis that was designed for the chain...the SRAM worked but had a small amount of noise.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Is the clicking the only reason you switched to the Bomber?
The main reasons I wanted to upgrade were serviceability, and having the option to run 29's in the future. I wanted something with readily available parts that I could service myself. Most of the other bikes I was looking at were also likely to get a fork upgrade at some point as well. The clicking just motivated me to act a bit sooner.

The only (minor IMO) issue I had with the Crest fork performance was that I was never able to get full travel. Recommended psi for me was 90ish. Even dropping to 65psi, the most travel I could get was about 110mm, but at that psi the fork felt mushy and unsupported. 80psi feels best, but I max out at like 90mm travel. I never cracked it open to check out the volume spacer situation as I didn't want to do anything until the click got fixed. (I seem to recall reading somewhere you could get them for this fork, but don't know if any are pre-installed) The performance was otherwise just fine for me, though I don't have much to compare it to. I've ridden some Fox Rhythm and Performance forks, but only street, not on trail.

I'm pretty keen to compare the feel of the Crest and Z2.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently bought the fathom 2 second hand. The bike feels great except when im going uphill and chain drops at the largest cog.

I contacted my local praxis dealer and it was so confusing cos the chainring i am using is a DMB which is a 0mm offset. But when i measured my chainline, it comes to 52mm which is the correct chainline for boost..

Anyway, i bought a cheap 3mm offset chainring to try and see if it helps.

Btw, mine comes with a suntour 34 suspension fork. No creaking or whatsoever.

Anyway, anyone knows the difference between the 2 chainrings?

They seem like the same chainrings but the tooth is sharp and the other is plateau

Attachments

681 - 700 of 710 Posts