Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
641 - 660 of 710 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Send a link to your local bike shop on this thread regarding the chain line and have them inspect it. Praxis will send a free replacement but they've only had a 32 tooth in stock and stock is 30. I think the 32 is very tight and frankly, if you're looking to get in shape you'll want the 30. If Praxis doesn't have the 30t, look at the cheaper replacements and / or, if the bike store is good, they can probably get you the proper one for zero charge.

Keep an eye on your fork, if it makes the annoying sound that a lot of us our experiencing, tell them Giant has a fix and that should be taken care of.

It is hella annoying to have issues with a $1500 bike but these are relatively minor ones all things considered. Still wish Giant was better at this. This all being said, I now have 500 miles on my 29er Fathom 2 and enjoy the bike. There's not much that can go wrong with it after these fixes and there's something to be said for the reliability / simpleness of a hard tail.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Picked up my Fathom 2 today! So far, everything is perfect - no fork clicking and no chain drops (did a long and steep ascends on largest cog). Getting used to it will take some time as this is my first ever MTB and my last bike was a single speed street bike. But so far comfort is top notch, drivetrain is awesome (rear hub sounds amazing!). Feels like a big sofa after riding those skinny road tires for a year. I’m glad that I decided to go for it instead of Talon, all upgrades are major QOL improvements. Thanks everyone who helped me making the right choice!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am 6 foot 2. 280 lbs. yeah....I got a ton of weight to loose. Anyway, what size should I get? The lbs only has XL's at the moment. I seem to be right on the border between a Large and XL. Sorry for such silly question. This is a rather large purchase for me.

thanks

toby

·
Registered
134 Posts
I am 6 foot 2. 280 lbs. yeah....I got a ton of weight to loose. Anyway, what size should I get? The lbs only has XL's at the moment. I seem to be right on the border between a Large and XL. Sorry for such silly question. This is a rather large purchase for me.

thanks

toby
I'm 6'2", 200 and ride the XL. I personally wouldn't go with the large, but I like a longer reach. I feel cramped with a reach below 490. I also prefer short stems (50mm max). You can adjust the stem, bars and seat slightly (and should) to help get your perfect fit.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have the Fathom 29 1, so the chaindrop issue not relevant to me (SRAM SX crankset - however, upgraded to xx1 in the meantime). Mine came with an RS Silver TK 35 fork (replaced to Pike Select 2 months ago).
Anyway, best bike I've ever had in the last 12 years, really capable, especially on technical terrain and bike parks. ;) When I had a trail or all-montain bike in the past, I always sold it after 3-6 months. This one is already 8 months old :p and I love it! :)

I'm an amateur/hobby XCM racer guy anyway. I had a 'plateau' in my bike handling skills, almost no progress during the last 2-3 years. But now with the Fathom, my skills improved more in the last 2 months than improved before, during 5-6 years. ;)

Now I'm thinking to tune it more, next year I'll change the Shimano brake set to something better (Magura MT7, maybe Trickstuff Piccola HD) and the SX/NX shifting. Actually, the only bad thing is the shifting, the SX trigger fell apart last weekend, fortulatelly I had a full service toolkit in my car with special tools and I was able to fix it after ~25 mins. (There is a red plastic drum in the mechanism and shifting wire fell off and got stuck between the red plastic and the spring. Also the shifting mechanism got stuck, had to disassemble the shifter completely. Something that you cannot fix trailside with a minitool...)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well, I bought the Fathom 2. I have been trying to find a bike in stock for 6 months and this is the first and only within a 3-hour drive that was available. I just took it on its maiden journey for a few hours this morning.

First impressions.
What I like...
It is fun. It is fast. I am a slow, fat guy who is out of shape, but this bike is fast. It is beautiful. It is comfortable. It is capable. It is more capable than I am. It is confidence-inspiring. It made me confident to the point that I got in over my head a couple of times on my home trail. The brakes, while not outstanding, are not bad. Again, fat guy here and they worked just fine. I won't upgrade until necessary.

What I don't like....
I rode it around at the LBS (which is 2 hours away). I put the front brake on while pedaling to try and get the chain to drop and it worked fine. The LBS said they had not had an issue and I believe them because I live in a flat area so the top gear is likely not used much but I travel to VA and WV every few months and will be riding in the hills.

Anyway, the freaking chain dropped 3 times in the lowest gear while climbing small, south carolina hills. I never put it in the lowest gear that it didn't drop.

The first mile or two, the fork was a-ok. the last 10 miles, the fork made a click noise at every small bump.

It is just frustrating that 10 minutes of R&D/testing by the world's largest bike manufacturer would have identified those 2 obvious issues and the bike would have been darned perfect.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am awaiting my Fathom 2 that I had to order from an out-of-state Giant dealer to be shipped to my local Giant dealer. It's supposed to get here Monday and then they'll assemble it so I most likely will not have it in hand until next weekend. I am sure I'll see the fork clicking and the chain drop issue. I'm just glad it's so widespread that I know exactly what to do to get it remedied once I can prove that my bike has the problems.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just bought the SRAM chainring off ebay because it is driving me insane that I cannot use the low gears. I have zero experience working on bikes. How difficult is it to change? thanks

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #650 ·
I had a really hard time getting the torx bolts loose. If that is the case with yours, heat them up to loosen the loctite. I did this with a soldering iron, worked like magic!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #651 ·

I'm contemplating getting rid of my Fathom. The LBS' view of the reliability of the Crest 34 fork worries me. I'm still waiting to hear what Giant says...hopefully tomorrow.

Fork replacements are so expensive, I think it would be easier to get rid of the whole bike than try to sell the Crest fork and buy a replacement Rock Shox...I really hate to do this, but I keep bikes for awhile...having to worry about the reliability of a fork just sucks...not sure I'd ever trust Giant again given the issues with the bike...

·
Registered
442 Posts
I totally understand where you're coming from, but be sure you have a bike to ride BEFORE selling your Fathom.

You could also add a new fork, keep the Crest 34 and then put it back on and sell the new Fork seperately (when that time comes).

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #653 ·
I totally understand where you're coming from, but be sure you have a bike to ride BEFORE selling your Fathom.

You could also add a new fork, keep the Crest 34 and then put it back on and sell the new Fork seperately (when that time comes).
Appreciate the advice here! Fortunately I have a decent full suspension bike that is back in commission after I replaced the suspension bearings and rebuilt the fork.

I like having two bikes when inevitably one goes down. I can’t fathom :) buying another fork solo unless maybe I found one used for a good deal, seems cheaper to but it with a new bike. Of course, the pandemic shortage doesn’t help so I would see what I could get…I don’t mind waiting 4-6 months, but if it is a year I might have to rethink this.

Will be interesting to see what my lbs says about the fix.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #656 · (Edited)
Stoked to say that Giant is ordering me a new fork that should ship in a couple days and they are paying for the labor to replace it!

Now I need to decide if I am going to keep or sell the bike. I suspect I could get a decent amount selling it with a new fork and the fact that I replaced (imo) the worst part of the stock setup, the brakes, with 4 piston Deore.

Because I'm leery of the long term reliability of this Crest fork, I think I could get a brand new hard tail with a mainstream fork for probably ~$500 more perhaps...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Stoked to say that Giant is ordering me a new fork that should ship in a couple days and they are paying for the labor to replace it!
Thanks for that update! I'm stuck with my pre-order/reserve at a local shop for the Fathom 29 2, figuring it won't be here for another 2-3 weeks....and gambling that Giant would work out the Crest issues in the meantime. Sounds like it's happening!

Is this a new/revised Crest? Or something different?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #658 ·
Thanks for that update! I'm stuck with my pre-order/reserve at a local shop for the Fathom 29 2, figuring it won't be here for another 2-3 weeks....and gambling that Giant would work out the Crest issues in the meantime. Sounds like it's happening!

Is this a new/revised Crest? Or something different?
Haha, I should have asked! I'm assuming it's a new Crest fork. I'll ask my LBS and see if they know. I'm kind of surprised, I figured they would have just replaced something internally.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts

Now I need to decide if I am going to keep or sell the bike. I suspect I could get a decent amount selling it with a new fork and the fact that I replaced (imo) the worst part of the stock setup, the brakes, with 4 piston Deore.

Because I'm leery of the long term reliability of this Crest fork, I think I could get a brand new hard tail with a mainstream fork for probably ~$500 more perhaps...
I had deore 4 piston on mine and a RS 35 gold RL and sold it for $1,500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #660 ·
I had deore 4 piston on mine and a RS 35 gold RL and sold it for $1,500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you, good to know. After looking at similar hard tails...I'm leaning towards keeping my Fathom. Most everything I looked at was around $500 more expensive. That's not too bad, but they also all had cheap brakes which I would want to replace, adding more $.

With 4 piston brakes on my Fathom and a solid drivetrain, I think I might just live w/ the Crest and hope it proves itself reliable... Besides the clicking, I did really like the feel / action of the fork.

641 - 660 of 710 Posts