Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

521 - 534 of 534 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
What reach do you like? That’s probably the #1 thing you want to look at nowadays when sizing a bike. I personally like a 440ish so I went medium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
252 Posts
Regarding shifting quality: Fathom 29 1 with SX/NX shiftig. Changed the stock Giant AM wheelset to a DT Swiss EXC1501 and also the super heavy stock SRAM PG-1210 cassette (700+ grams, ouch!) to an XX1 Gold cassette (XG-1299). Shifting quality changed drastically, much-much better now, no 'chain rubbing' anymore, shifting is crisp and fast. ;) I'm still using the stock NX rear mech with SX shifter, so it seems, the source of the bad shifting quality was the cassette. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Finally got mine today all the way from the UK to the middle east, took it out for a light ride and didn't notice any issues at all, the size is good (M) i'm 5,7" but feel like a small would've been a better choice. Only I was expecting the Crest fork but it came with Rockshox instead (bit relieved since reading about the clicking issue with the Crest).

Asked the lbs to install a kickstand and they didn't recommend it but I really need one, anyone can recommend a type/brand that would work with this frame. Thanks in advance. : )

·
Registered
13 Posts
View attachment 1917798

Finally got mine today all the way from the UK to the middle east, took it out for a light ride and didn't notice any issues at all, the size is good (M) i'm 5,7" but feel like a small would've been a better choice. Only I was expecting the Crest fork but it came with Rockshox instead (bit relieved since reading about the clicking issue with the Crest).

Asked the lbs to install a kickstand and they didn't recommend it but I really need one, anyone can recommend a type/brand that would work with this frame. Thanks in advance. : )
Congrats on the Bike! Interesting they uses a RS fork. Usually it is Suntour if not the Crest. SUpply chains are all screwed up I guess.
I would not recomend a kickstand as it may get hung up when you are riding. I am a complete noob when it comes to mountain biking but I can tell you that there have been multiple occasions where I am glad I did not have a kickstand. You could always build a quick and simple bike stand with a couple of 2x4s.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quick question in removing wheels are there quick releases for the thru axles, or do I need an Allen key? Or is it one of those special ones where a tool comes from the rear hub?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts

Did it come with the 35 silver TK?

I replaced my crest with a 35 gold RL and it seems ok. The polar vortex has finally passed so once we get the trails clear I’m hoping to try it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #530
From Giant support, I'm happy they seem to know there is an issue and are working on it. Also, great they aren't making me go to the local Giant dealer...

"The team at Giant is looking into it and a rebuild/evaluation is not required. We will follow up with you when we have a solution. Again, we understand there is a noise, but you are welcome to continue riding the current fork in the meantime."

·
Registered
252 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
So as much fun as the fathom was I sold it last night. 1750$ For a fathom 2! Gotta love supply and demand. I hope all your forks and chain issues get resolved.

521 - 534 of 534 Posts