Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

401 - 420 of 534 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #401
That looks nice! Will be interested in finding out how much those bars absorb the trails...

I was surprised to get my SRAM X-Sync 2 Eagle chain ring today. I'm going to mount it up but probably will be a day or two before I can ride 'cause we're getting some sorely needed rain...

·
Registered
2021 Giant Fathom 29 2
41 Posts
That looks nice! Will be interested in finding out how much those bars absorb the trails...

I was surprised to get my SRAM X-Sync 2 Eagle chain ring today. I'm going to mount it up but probably will be a day or two before I can ride 'cause we're getting some sorely needed rain...
That SRAM X-Sync 2 is 30T? I know you just mounted the Praxis 32T and it was tight. I have one coming from Praxis as well, but my LBS has a SRAM X-SYNC 2 Eagle in 30T that I was considering.. Let me know how that one works out

Also, don't you need the SRAM Quick Link for the hyperglide chain to work properly?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #403
That SRAM X-Sync 2 is 30T? I know you just mounted the Praxis 32T and it was tight. I have one coming from Praxis as well, but my LBS has a SRAM X-SYNC 2 Eagle in 30T that I was considering.. Let me know how that one works out

Also, don't you need the SRAM Quick Link for the hyperglide chain to work properly?
I just got that sprocket today and installed it. I believe that is true, you can hear when the stock quick link goes over the sprocket. Also, in general, it seems a bit noisy / “chunky” to me, even when the link is not going over the sprocket.

I did check my chain length to be sure and it is spot on. Chain line is as good as it is going to get I think, I think everyone should do the 3mm offset with this Praxis...

I guess I need to order that SRAM quick link...

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #404
Can someone tell me what sram quick link to get? Seems there is a road and mountain bike version, does it matter?

I swear, I think going all Shimano on cranks / sprocket might be the best long term solution...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Can someone tell me what sram quick link to get? Seems there is a road and mountain bike version, does it matter?

I swear, I think going all Shimano on cranks / sprocket might be the best long term solution...
Unless someone does it sooner, I have all new XT parts (shifters, derailleur, cassette, crank, and chain) in my possession, just awaiting the bike so I can install them. I will post to let everyone know. The crank I got has a 52mm chain line.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Looking at Absolute Black chainring. Just to confirm, the 30t is okay with the 32t on the big side? Is this the one?
You need this one because our cranks are SRAM direct mount but our drivetrain is Hyperglide - SRAM OVAL Boost 1X Direct Mount Chainring for 12spd HG+ chain

That's the one I got and it works great in 30t.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #409
Interesting, reading this thread it seems the chain and cassette are the key components for hyper glide+. That makes me feel better. Going to get an Eagle quick link today from the lbs so hopefully my bike will finally be dialed in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Interesting, reading this thread it seems the chain and cassette are the key components for hyper glide+. That makes me feel better. Going to get an Eagle quick link today from the lbs so hopefully my bike will finally be dialed in.
Let us know how that works out. I want the non HG chainring from AB due to the color choices, but I don’t want to deal with a noisy drivetrain.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I rode today with my SRAM ring and factory everything else and it’s much more quiet now. Last ride I was getting a sort of rubbing noise when in the 51T cog, now that is gone and I’m having no shifting issues or anything.

Like I mentioned earlier the XT 11 speed chain seemed fine on my SRAM NX crankset on my last bike.

The noise got worse on the fork though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #412
Got the Sram Eagle quick link and it’s pretty good through all the gears except it is noisy in the 51. take a look at this vid. The vid seems to magnify the noise but it is annoying for sure.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #414
So praxis is sending me a 32t chainring as well because the 30t is out till April. For you that put the 32t on,stock chain long enough?
My chain was too short. However, I did shorten the stock chain when I got the bike to exactly what Shimano recommends. You might have enough chain if you didn't do that.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #417
I rode my bike today for the first time since the new offset 30t was installed. I did a ride by my house, a little over 8 miles and ~1k’ of climbing.

It rode great! Overall drivetrain seemed smoother and quieter. The noisy granny gear on the stand was much subdued under load. I’m happy!

I now have over 150 miles on this bike and have generally learned how to climb well with it. I am still quite a bit slower than my full suspension when I climb but I guess most of my climbs are pretty rocky so I do get bounced around a lot on the hardtail.

Now to get that clicking fork fixed over time...mine started making that noise again after a brief time of not doing it...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I rode my bike today for the first time since the new offset 30t was installed. I did a ride by my house, a little over 8 miles and ~1k’ of climbing.

It rode great! Overall drivetrain seemed smoother and quieter. The noisy granny gear on the stand was much subdued under load. I’m happy!

I now have over 150 miles on this bike and have generally learned how to climb well with it. I am still quite a bit slower than my full suspension when I climb but I guess most of my climbs are pretty rocky so I do get bounced around a lot on the hardtail.

Now to get that clicking fork fixed over time...mine started making that noise again after a brief time of not doing it...
Good deal. You just did a 3mm offset and a sram quick link... nothing else?

401 - 420 of 534 Posts