Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

361 - 380 of 538 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Giant Fathom 29 2
41 Posts
Just FYI. For grins, I contacted Praxis to see if they could help with the issue, and they asked me for a serial number off of my chainring. The next thing I know, I get an email with a $0.00 invoice for a 3mm offset wave chainring. The guy said he won't have 30Ts until February, but apparently they're sending me one under "warranty". Gotta hand it to them. They were quick to react and do whatever necessary to make it right. I told them multiple people are having this issue and that Giant hasn't responded to this point.

Edit: He went ahead and sent me a 32t 3mm offset ring. I have the Absoute Black 30t oval coming too. I'll try those before picking up Shimano BB and cranks.
@86runner Have you received either the praxis or absolute black 3mm offset rings?

·
Registered
49 Posts
@86runner Have you received either the praxis or absolute black 3mm offset rings?
Yep! Got the Absolute Black a few days ago and popped it on. Works great! I have about 1/8" clearance between the ring and the stay at the oval's widest point. I just got the Praxis today. I'm going to keep it around and try it at some point as well. It's a 32t, rather than the stock 30t. Helps with the angle tremendously!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #366
Yep! Got the Absolute Black a few days ago and popped it on. Works great! I have about 1/8" clearance between the ring and the stay at the oval's widest point. I just got the Praxis today. I'm going to keep it around and try it at some point as well. It's a 32t, rather than the stock 30t. Helps with the angle tremendously!
This is very interesting. I actually contacted Praxis today and they are sending me a 32t 3mm offset ring also. The 30t 3mm offset rings aren't due in stock until February or later they said. Tbh, I could probably use a little more help in the lower gears anyways so a 32 shouldn't be better for me...just hoping I don't need a new chain for just two more teeth?

I finally got my issue of the gear 8 clicking fixed. My apologies to the poster on this thread that said to look at my high low adjustments in the derailleur. You were completely right, I misconstrued that you were talking about cable tension.

I took off the chain and the high gear adjustment was spot on. However, the low gear adjustment was quite a bit off. Really hard to see the alignment w/ that big tire in the way but was able to figure it out. Took it for a ride in the street and no clicking in the gear 8 or any gear!!!! So stoked.

Now with that 32t 3mm offset chain ring coming hoping my drivetrain will be dialed in.

I've now put 140 miles on the bike and I'm getting more used to it and liking it more.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Good luck everyone! The tinkering is part of the fun! I would highly recommend picking up a 3mm offset chainring before giving up!
You shouldn't need to tinker with a brand new bike, it should just work.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I agree but I have a feeling a lot of bikes made right now are going to have stupid issues and last minute substitutions.

If you don’t want to wait for the praxis ring the SRAM ones are cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Giant Fathom 29 2
41 Posts
My Fathom 2 operated flawlessly from day one and didn't require any modifications. I chose to upgrade it, because I too enjoy tinkering!! Cheers!!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #371
What’s the standard of this chain ring if I were to replace it? Realizing now that a 32 tooth is going to make my bike harder to pedal in the low gears. Saw those absolute black chain rings but $80 seems a bit much, would just assume replace crankset with Shimano...

Not even sure how to take this thing off? I assume loosening the Allen bolt on the non drive side is the way...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey guys, can someone please clear this up for me.

The details for the crank say
  • Threaded BB shell width: 68 / 73mm

The details for the BB say

• Press-Fit BB shell width: 89.5/92mm
This confuses me. Am I correct in saying that the actual bike shell that the BB fits into is 68/73mm wide, and the overall width of the BB is 89.5/92 basically from outside to outside of the BB itself.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey guys, can someone please clear this up for me.

The details for the crank say
  • Threaded BB shell width: 68 / 73mm

The details for the BB say

• Press-Fit BB shell width: 89.5/92mm
This confuses me. Am I correct in saying that the actual bike shell that the BB fits into is 68/73mm wide, and the overall width of the BB is 89.5/92 basically from outside to outside of the BB itself.
The shell is 92mm wide. These are press fit. I measured mine the last time I had the cranks out. The spindle is about 114mm long (4.5"). I have zero idea where the 68/73 comes into play. Bottom bracket standards confuse the crap outta me. I posted earlier that my XTR 9120 cranks are too long to work in this bike, so I'm not sure what Shimano cranks would, or how to search for them. Obviously the BB needs to be changed for the 24mm spindle, but I'm not sure how to address spindle length. Hope this helps a bit!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
What’s the standard of this chain ring if I were to replace it? Realizing now that a 32 tooth is going to make my bike harder to pedal in the low gears. Saw those absolute black chain rings but $80 seems a bit much, would just assume replace crankset with Shimano...

Not even sure how to take this thing off? I assume loosening the Allen bolt on the non drive side is the way...

The SRAM nsync rings fit the praxis cadet. The cheap steel one is still slightly lighter than the praxis steel ring. I haven't taken a real ride since I changed mine but around the yard I notice less noise when in my big cog.

·
Registered
'21 Giant Fathom 2
2 Posts
An update for my chainring chain drop issue in low gear:

I have a Fathom 2 with the stock Shimano drivetrain and Praxis chainring. After applying some chain lube (Finish Line Dry Lube), the chain drop issue has gone away. I tested this with a couple of rides that required frequent shifting throughout the entire gear range. Perhaps there was a sticky link or two in the chain that was causing the issue.

I'm going to give it a couple more rides over the weekend, but this seemed to do the trick for me.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #379
The SRAM nsync rings fit the praxis cadet. The cheap steel one is still slightly lighter than the praxis steel ring. I haven't taken a real ride since I changed mine but around the yard I notice less noise when in my big cog.
Thanks so much, just ordered! Though my bike seems to be shifting reliably well now, the chain line is markedly more skewed when in the large cog so I gotta think the offset helps and is warranted.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I don't have the answer to your question. However most modern headsets can be identified by their S.H.I.S code. Maybe see if the giant documentation lists headset SHIS code somewhere?
SHIS code explanation link --> https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/standardized-headset-identification-system
I asked the question not precisely enough, sorry for that. Based on that I saw when I removed the fork from the bike, I saw an ZS44/28.6 - ZS56/40 headset I guess. But the exact type is unclear to me, I didn't see any type or anything (apart from a 'Giant' text), from which I could identify the brand and model. I tried to look after a bit and based on my findings I have that gut feeling, our bikes may come with a Giant-branded FSA Orbit ZS headset (e.g. FSA Orbit 1.5E ZS - 8mm - Headset tapered Press Fit ZS44/28.6 | ZS56/40 ), but I'm not sure.
If this would be the case then I could order a 2nd crown race for my new fork. :)

361 - 380 of 538 Posts