Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

341 - 360 of 540 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Giant Fathom 29 2
41 Posts
The pic you show is a 6 bolt rotor, do you have the adapter from 6 bolt to center lock on there?
These are Shimano 180mm SLX RT70 Ice Tech Centerlock rotors.

·
Registered
49 Posts
for Center lock, a cassette lockring tool will not fit over 15mm front axle part of hub. So the lockring for front discs is usually external spline. Use a BSA threaded bottom bracket tool which fits standard size shimano SM-BB52 threaded bottom brackets.

Note the XT threaded bottom bracket uses a different smaller spline for no real reason whatsoever.

Cassette lockring tool will (just) fit most 12mm axles so rear lockring can be either internal spline or external spline.
I couldn't remember if it was the front or rear that I couldn't get the Park 5.2 tool over. Thanks for clearing it up!

·
Registered
10 Posts
that is very good info thanks, looking at both bikes, the small fathom is more comparable with the medium xcaliber you have. If you go for the medium the reach will be 2cm longer and the wheelbase will be 6cm longer than the xcaliber. As you are on the very upper end of the trek medium sizing. Then i believe you should go for a medium. you should ask yourself what you would like in comparison to the xcaliber, do you want it to be more stable or more nimble. you also lose the bottle cage if that matters

remember it is entirely up to you
Yeah seems like I’ll be going with the M and shorten the stem if necessary, reach/riding position is mainly what I’m worried about. appreciate it mate 👍🏼

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
that is very good info thanks, looking at both bikes, the small fathom is more comparable with the medium xcaliber you have. If you go for the medium the reach will be 2cm longer and the wheelbase will be 6cm longer than the xcaliber. As you are on the very upper end of the trek medium sizing. Then i believe you should go for a medium. you should ask yourself what you would like in comparison to the xcaliber, do you want it to be more stable or more nimble. you also lose the bottle cage if that matters

remember it is entirely up to you

I had a medium x-cal and it sucks compared to the Fathom. It sounds like you need a medium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
235 Posts
The Deore come with resin pads. I actually got the MT520's and they feel great. I kinda of wish I got the m6120's or whatever (the newest ones) but for now the 520's are great. My last bike had 2 piston XT brakes and the 4 pistons offer a lot more "modulation" aka they don't lock up as quick. The 2 piston XT brakes were very off/on.
Guess what? the MT520 callpers ARE the 6120 callipers! but with a different paint job 😃. You already have them.

The levers are different, as the new deore levers are ISPEC-EV mount.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Guess what? the MT520 callpers ARE the 6120 callipers! but with a different paint job . You already have them.

The levers are different, as the new deore levers are ISPEC-EV mount.
Ah then I’m sure they are effectively the same thing. The levers seem to be the same as my old 2 piston XTs minus the bite adjustment and tool less reach adjustment.

As long as they last awhile I’ll be happy with them.

·
Registered
2021 Giant Fathom 29 2
41 Posts
Ah then I’m sure they are effectively the same thing. The levers seem to be the same as my old 2 piston XTs minus the bite adjustment and tool less reach adjustment.

As long as they last awhile I’ll be happy with them.

I installed the SLX 7100/7120 4 piston with ISPEC EV and SLX RT70 ice tech rotors. The modulation is fantastic and I mounted new shifter and dropper remotes using the ISPEC EV clamps. Cleaner bars and lighter, losing the extra clamps.

The SLX 7120s look identical to the XT 8120’s. Very minor differences. When I was deciding between XT and SLX, I decided there weren’t enough pros for the XT to warrant the higher price.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I actually had m7120s but one of the pistons started pouring fluid during the bleed procedure. It toasted the pads (obviously) so I sent them back.

I wasn’t sure what I was going to get and decided to save almost $100 by ordering the mt520s.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #350
I've been liking my M520s, as others have said, a bit more power and a lot more modulation. For less than $180 delivered for both sets, it was a good investment.

For others following on the the other Crest 34 thread, I set the sag on my fork and the annoying popping noises have seemed to stop. I theorize it's the fork sits deeper in its range. I had the fork pretty stiff for my weight before so I think it was in the initial range a lot...

As for the ANNOYING clicking noise in Gear 8, I'm still trying to rectify this issue...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I installed the SLX 7100/7120 4 piston with ISPEC EV and SLX RT70 ice tech rotors. The modulation is fantastic and I mounted new shifter and dropper remotes using the ISPEC EV clamps. Cleaner bars and lighter, losing the extra clamps.

The SLX 7120s look identical to the XT 8120’s. Very minor differences. When I was deciding between XT and SLX, I decided there weren’t enough pros for the XT to warrant the higher price.

Hey, I was thinking of going the shimano dropper for the same reason you did to clean it all up. Did you research between the 2 they offer between the 500 and the 800 series. I cannot really tell much of a difference except price.
Was it an easy install, did you have to pull the whole unit and change out the outer cable guide too. I will be changing out my brakes for the SLX ones too so probably easier to do it at the same time.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #353
Hey, I was thinking of going the shimano dropper for the same reason you did to clean it all up. Did you research between the 2 they offer between the 500 and the 800 series. I cannot really tell much of a difference except price.
Was it an easy install, did you have to pull the whole unit and change out the outer cable guide too. I will be changing out my brakes for the SLX ones too so probably easier to do it at the same time.
Difference seems obvious to me, one is I-spec and the other is a traditional lever mount with it's own mounting ring. Tbh, I wasn't thinking of replacing the Giant dropper lever but this I-spec lever is very appealing...I love how it installs and how much range there is to dial it into your preference.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Headset question.
Do you know, what headset type our bikes equipped exactly?

I removed the fork recently and the upper part has a sealed (cartridge) bearing but the lower part is a cheapish one: consists from a cone and on top of it, balls rolling in a ring. This part doesn't have any extra sealing, except for a plastic ring, sitting next to the crown race.

I will buy a Revelation RC 29 fork and a 2nd crown race for this fork would be needed, that's why I'm asking. (I will keep the original RS 35 Silver TK for winter riding and as a spare fork, when e.g. the Revelation needs service).

·
Registered
2021 Giant Fathom 29 2
41 Posts
Very little difference between the Shimano MT500-IL and MT800-IL. Make sure that you purchase the IL version, as that's the one for ISPEC EV mounting. After watching the comparison below, I went with the MT500. The dropper cable is the most challenging of the cable routing. I reused the stock housing and ran my new cable through it.

Here's the one I purchased

·
Registered
235 Posts
this is good video to show you the difference between the 800 and 500. I personally have the 800 and it is fantastic. No wobbling. Positive feel. love it
Link to Youtube video -->

Update - I just realised that someone else posted the same video already. Oops.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Headset question.
Do you know, what headset type our bikes equipped exactly?

I removed the fork recently and the upper part has a sealed (cartridge) bearing but the lower part is a cheapish one: consists from a cone and on top of it, balls rolling in a ring. This part doesn't have any extra sealing, except for a plastic ring, sitting next to the crown race.

I will buy a Revelation RC 29 fork and a 2nd crown race for this fork would be needed, that's why I'm asking. (I will keep the original RS 35 Silver TK for winter riding and as a spare fork, when e.g. the Revelation needs service).
I don't have the answer to your question. However most modern headsets can be identified by their S.H.I.S code. Maybe see if the giant documentation lists headset SHIS code somewhere?
SHIS code explanation link --> https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/standardized-headset-identification-system

341 - 360 of 540 Posts