Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 538 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just placed a deposit on a '21 Fathom 2 in the concrete color coming sometime in December.

I originally wanted a 29er but it seems none will be in stock until May or June of next year!

I incorrectly believed the model I'm getting had 27.5+ wheels but it seems like it's just a high volume normal 27.5?! I don't understand all of these tire sizes now...like what is a 650B?!

I was thinking I'd build a set of 29er wheels for this bike but I guess that isn't feasible now.

Anyways, starting this thread for anyone interested in or buying one of these models.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes I am

Just ordered a 2021 Fathom 29 2 in xl. My current ride is a 2020 Fathom 29 1 which I will be selling after my next ride.. I hope it comes in soon with winter approaching fast! I had been hoping for a modern hardtail from Giant ( slacker geo and thru-axle rear )

I had a 2019 Fathom 2 with the 27.5 high volume tires. Very important to have correct air pressure depending on pavement or trail riding.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2020 Fathom 2 27.5 and I am thinking about changing next year. From what I can see from the website, the 2021 Fathom 2 29 seems like the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
13,862 Posts
The reach for the Fathom is still short.
444 for a L 460 for an XL.
Size up.

This Vitus Sentier at the same price no tax free ship has a much better fork- Mazocchi Z2 with 140mm travel. 27.5
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/vitus-sentier-27-vr-mountain-bike-2021/rp-prod195592
Bit more reach and slacker ht>.
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/vitus-sentier-29-vr-mountain-bike-2021/rp-prod195562 29.

Shimano brakes and Deore drivetrain. Get on the notification list. Shipping takes about 4 day when in stock.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was able to find a Fathom 2 29er in Lrg and just paid for it 10 minutes ago! There's a big dealer south of me and I was shocked that not only do they have inventory in stock but quite a few.

I got the black / blue ash...almost went with the Green.

Going to pick it up in a couple weeks but since this is a bday present for myself in December, plan on leaving it in storage until then.

So stoked I was able to get one!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, glad my lbs spoke to me about sizing...I'm 5'11" and could go either way...I usually go Medium but went Large on this.

I was web chatting w/ the bike shop that had them in stock and he said with the geometry changes this was a really sweet bike. I think it's one of the best values out there. Likely going to change out the brakes once this pandemic thing eases up but don't foresee any big things I would want for it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
470 reach on the large on the 2021 geo chart I'm looking at. More modern geo than the vitus in my opinion. Vitus is in need of an update.

The reach for the Fathom is still short.
444 for a L 460 for an XL.
Size up.

This Vitus Sentier at the same price no tax free ship has a much better fork- Mazocchi Z2 with 140mm travel. 27.5
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/vitus-sentier-27-vr-mountain-bike-2021/rp-prod195592
Bit more reach and slacker ht>.
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/vitus-sentier-29-vr-mountain-bike-2021/rp-prod195562 29.

Shimano brakes and Deore drivetrain. Get on the notification list. Shipping takes about 4 day when in stock.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I just placed a deposit on a '21 Fathom 2 in the concrete color coming sometime in December.

I originally wanted a 29er but it seems none will be in stock until May or June of next year!

I incorrectly believed the model I'm getting had 27.5+ wheels but it seems like it's just a high volume normal 27.5?! I don't understand all of these tire sizes now...like what is a 650B?!

I was thinking I'd build a set of 29er wheels for this bike but I guess that isn't feasible now.

Anyways, starting this thread for anyone interested in or buying one of these models.
Why aren't 29" wheels feasible? :confused:

·
Registered
116 Posts
It's a regular 27.5 wheelsize, not 27.5+. I guess they could be using the same frames?! But it was my understanding you can't put 29" tires on a regular 27.5" bike typically...
Someone on another thread said they are the same frame, just different forks. To run both, you would probably have to get the 29 version because the fork on the 27.5 probably won't fit 29 wheels. Don't know how wide of 27.5 tires you can fit in the 29 fork though.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Someone on another thread said they are the same frame, just different forks. To run both, you would probably have to get the 29 version because the fork on the 27.5 probably won't fit 29 wheels. Don't know how wide of 27.5 tires you can fit in the 29 fork though.
Okay, that makes sense! I'm even more glad I got the 29er then...one of my favorite hardtails had 29" wheels. I hope the Giant Crest fork is decent. I haven't used their dropper post but I've heard good things and it's so inexpensive to replace the air cartridge if needed...had friends who had the Rockshox Reverb droppers and it was ~$150 every time it had to be serviced...ridiculous. I've had a Fox Transfer on my full suspension and I have had any issues and I just passed 1,000 miles on the bike.

Though I live in southern California, I've always wanted a fat bike which is probably not practical. Maybe I'll build up a set of 27.5+ tires for this bike for a different feel...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too am going to buy a Fatham 2. I just can't decide between the 27.5 and the 29er. Leaning towards a 27.5. My local trails are tight, and that is probably what I will ride most often.

I went into my local Giant store (located just outside Toronto). I was told December for a Fatham 2, February for a Fathom 1. I wanted to finance the bike (they do 0% for 1 year) so I'm a little reluctant to throw down $500 now and the balance in December when I won't be riding the bike until spring.

·
Registered
570 Posts
All the online info seems to lead me to believe they are the same frame and fork - just pick your wheel size. Someone should confirm once the models are readily available.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All the online info seems to lead me to believe they are the same frame and fork - just pick your wheel size. Someone should confirm once the models are readily available.
Mine is ready for pickup this Thursday but since it's a ~2.5 hour trip each way, definitely not getting it until this weekend or next...

It's wild, I feel so lucky to get one when it seems there aren't many available...

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Picked up my bike today!

The forks are definitely different...they had quite a few of them in stock and the 27.5 and the 29 have different forks, I'm not sure on the frames. Apparently Bicycle Warehouse is the biggest U.S. Giant dealer so glad I decided to make the 2+ hr drive each day.

This thing is BEAUTIFUL! It's always hard to tell paint schemes on the web. I got the black into blue fade and it's matte / flat which just looks awesome imo. I think the green paint looks too...it too is matte.

Call me crazy, but this is a mid-Dec bday present so I don't plan on riding it it until then...gives me something to look forward to. I'll be getting some frame protection and dialing it in before then.

I was a little worried at first as the bike looked huge to me...guess I was used to my 27.5 bikes...I adjusted the dropper a little down in the seat tube and I have plenty of room to go down more if I need to, but I think it's about right with probably ~2.5" to spare.

This will be a bike my wife uses to ride a mellow trail we have that goes down to the ocean. It definitely will be too big for her with the dropper seated all the way down. I was thinking of getting a regular post and seat to swap out when she rides (which is infrequent) but I think just dropping the dropper to the height she needs should suffice. It's not a technical trail and she's used to not having a dropper so we should be ok.

I'm stoked, this bike looks like it is going to ride really well! The bike person said the tweaks they made are incredible and it's an amazing hard tail.

Only big concern I have is that the brakes don't feel great...but hoping (praying?) they're good enough if they bed in...they are definitely not bed in. Plan was to replace them down the road but would like to use them for awhile...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for the Intel. You think that 2.5 tire it comes with is about as wide as you can go in the fork?

Picked up my bike
today!

The forks are definitely different...they had quite a few of them in stock and the 27.5 and the 29 have different forks, I'm not sure on the frames. Apparently Bicycle Warehouse is the biggest U.S. Giant dealer so glad I decided to make the 2+ hr drive each day.

This thing is BEAUTIFUL! It's always hard to tell paint schemes on the web. I got the black into blue fade and it's matte / flat which just looks awesome imo. I think the green paint looks too...it too is matte.

Call me crazy, but this is a mid-Dec bday present so I don't plan on riding it it until then...gives me something to look forward to. I'll be getting some frame protection and dialing it in before then.

I was a little worried at first as the bike looked huge to me...guess I was used to my 27.5 bikes...I adjusted the dropper a little down in the seat tube and I have plenty of room to go down more if I need to, but I think it's about right with probably ~2.5" to spare.

This will be a bike my wife uses to ride a mellow trail we have that goes down to the ocean. It definitely will be too big for her with the dropper seated all the way down. I was thinking of getting a regular post and seat to swap out when she rides (which is infrequent) but I think just dropping the dropper to the height she needs should suffice. It's not a technical trail and she's used to not having a dropper so we should be ok.

I'm stoked, this bike looks like it is going to ride really well! The bike person said the tweaks they made are incredible and it's an amazing hard tail.

Only big concern I have is that the brakes don't feel great...but hoping (praying?) they're good enough if they bed in...they are definitely not bed in. Plan was to replace them down the road but would like to use them for awhile...

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
How heavy is your bike and what size.
What did you pay
How do you like the fork
Do the rotors say they are resin pad only

Thanks

1 - 20 of 538 Posts