Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone has purchased a Niner bike with the X9 build kit? If you did what do you think of the WTB wheels - how heavy are they, how true do they stay?

·
Registered
407 Posts
just ordered one...

had problems with with the GF Paragon - cracked in the seat tube/top tube junction like everyone else. I just ordered the EMD9 with the X9 build kit. I'll let you know after I've had a few rides on it. I'm just going to sell the GF complete when I get it back from warranty.

new EMD should be here Friday - I'm just across the valley from niner ...

·
Registered
407 Posts
right on auntie -I know it's a little OT but I gave GF a second chance, and now completely regret it. When I spoke to Ryan at Niner he said they haven't had a single reported breakage on the EMD9 and I placed my order.

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Rip9

I got the RIP and build kit through webcyclery. Upgraded the rotors to 185's, swapped out the POS WTB grips for ODI Yeti's, added Avid Matchmakers, went with XT cranks and BB. Everything else per the build kit. I as unsure about two things: the Niner flat bar and the wheelset. Both have exceeded my expectations and I am very pleased. I don't know the weight of the wheelset, and don't really care, but it's not heavy. And it's been bomber for me over two months of some hard riding on the rocks in AZ.

·
Registered
407 Posts
walatz - glad to hear it - I should have my EMD9 on Friday, looking forward to hitting the trails on it. I am unsure about the flat bar as well, as I've been a riser guy for years but I'm going to give it a shot. I too will be getting the matchmakes for this bike I like the single clamp look alot (got 'em on the GF).

It's also nice to hear that the wheelset is holding up and isn't a heavy enough to notice or care.

·
Registered
41 Posts
GMoney said:
had problems with with the GF Paragon - cracked in the seat tube/top tube junction like everyone else. I just ordered the EMD9 with the X9 build kit. I'll let you know after I've had a few rides on it. I'm just going to sell the GF complete when I get it back from warranty.
I'm sure you realize that Niner doesn't have the lifetime warranty like GF. Hopefully the the Niner steel will be true to form, and last a generation or two; I can't help wondering why Niner doesn't offer the same lifetime warranty as the likes of GF and Cannondale. Scares me away, honestly. FWIW: the Niner S.I.R. 9 was my favorite of four rentals, which included a $5400 Titus Racer-X. The X-9 package seemed to work perfectly with the frame.

- JP

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hum, so what is the warranty on the Niner's then, something I actually didn't check out and which also makes me wonder sometimes about the manufacturer. I'l have to check into this.

Personally I think that if you've made a good AL bike then the warranty should be at least 3 if not 4 years, since the expected lifespan of AL is about 5-6 before fatigue sets in and I wouldn't expect a small manufacturer to replace frames because of the metal "wearing out".

jpatkinson said:
I'm sure you realize that Niner doesn't have the lifetime warranty like GF. Hopefully the the Niner steel will be true to form, and last a generation or two; I can't help wondering why Niner doesn't offer the same lifetime warranty as the likes of GF and Cannondale. Scares me away, honestly.
- JP

·
Registered
407 Posts
Niner warrantys(sp?) their bikes for 2 years.
If I get 2 years out of the frame without an issue, I think I'd be ready to move on anyway.
Every 2 years there seems to be such an improvement with the bikes I'm ready for a new one.
Santa Cruz, Turner and others only warranty their frames for 2 years as well. I think 2 years is sufficient (my last GF barely lasted 90 days) - I don't think the length of the warranty necessarily aligns with the quality of production.

Lifetime warranty is useless to me unless I'm only dealing with it once in a lifetime. If I have to be without my bike for 2-4 weeks every 3-6 months no warranty is worth it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.