Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Ugly As F*ck
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to gather info on the area. I don't live out there, but my employer has a location in SFS and I'm desperately trying to get out of where I am now because it sucks here (nearest hill is about 3 hours away, nearest mountain probably 10+ hours away). I'd like to find out more before I go asking about a possible transfer.

I guess the main things I'm wanting to know...
1) What are my options for a post work ride leaving from SFS (without having to drive for an hour)? Most of what I've found seems to be in Chino Hills State Park, but that is a drive. Just looking on Google maps there are a lot of hills above Whittier, anything up there?
2) Any legitimate pump tracks or dirt jump spots? Or are they hidden and top secret (if any at all)?

Those would be the main perks. Looks like I'd have all kinds of options for weekend adventures so long as I'm willing to drive. And it's great to see you guys in SoCal finally have a lift access bike park. I just found that out while searching for places to ride.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
I grew up a couple miles from Santa Fe Springs. Turnbull Canyon and the Fullerton Loop are the closest MTB rides nearby and would absolutely be after-work-friendly if you're working in the SFS area. Since you mentioned it, the lift assisted riding in Big Bear is about a two hour drive from there, and there are TONS of riding opportunities within an hour or less for the weekends.

Let's see. . . . coming from Houston to SFS. I'm going to go out on a limb and wager a guess that you might be in a petroleum related industry?

;~)

SFS is mostly industrial rather than residential. If possible, I'd look for housing in either Whittier or La Mirada (both right next to SFS) as the closest/best options and go from there.

·
Ugly As F*ck
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info, guys. I'll see if I can find some videos of Turnbull.

Jeffj, I noticed that about SFS just looking at it on google maps. Doesn't look like the ideal place to live. I'd rather live closer to the hills anyway just for the scenery so I was already looking at Whittier as a place to stay if I were to move out there. I'll look at La Mirada as well.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
I don't wish to disparage any of the good people of Santa Fe Springs, so I will just say that a good deal of it is 'industrial', and it's not as close to hills and mountains as are some of the communities to the north and east of there. Those communities would be Whittier, La Mirada, La Habra, Fullerton, and Brea. As with pretty much everywhere, there are pockets of 'good' and 'not-as-good' and it will be up to you to filter that out.

As for dirt jump spots in the city, they are usually 'fight club rules' type situations or they get quickly overrun and subsequently torn down. Blend in and be ready to help out and you might find some semi-secret jump spots.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I worked in SFS for 8 years. It's a giant business park. Duarte is nearby and there's a lot of gangs there. The residential areas around SFS are shady at best, with Whittier being the only exception. Whittier is pretty nice!!! I live in Burbank/Glendale and actually commuted to SFS. Honestly, I wouldn't even live in Whittier cause I'm a La Crescenta native and that area off the 5 freeway was always the dustbowl we passed through on our way to Huntington Beach lol. We have good MTB in the foothills (Pasadena/Glendale/Burbank/La Crescenta/La Canada, etc.).

BUT....if you are seriously considering relocating to SFS then I would probably encourage you to look in Orange County to live. It's just a few miles south of SFS and they have much much better riding there. Santa Ana is a nice place, and not too far from SFS, and close to a few trails.

Our of curiosity - do you work in the construction industry?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.