Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

There was an earlier thread about the wait time on Blur XC's...I don't really want to re-hash that however.....

I was wondering if anyone from Santa Cruz can shed some light on the delay and what the expectation should be on delivery times?

I went to SC's website and looked up dealers in Colorado. I called 6 dealers asking if they had a medium Blur XC in stock, no one did. I asked about delivery times if I put a deposit on one, and was given a wide range of opinions about how long it would take and why they were delayed. I don't want to go into the reasons because my guess is that they are very speculative.

I really like the Blur, and if the wait is two weeks I will kick myself for years for not being more patient... But if the wait is two months then I will kick myself for wasting another season on my old POS bike...:madman:

Thanks...

·
Registered
72 Posts
WP Local said:
Howdy,

There was an earlier thread about the wait time on Blur XC's...I don't really want to re-hash that however.....

I was wondering if anyone from Santa Cruz can shed some light on the delay and what the expectation should be on delivery times?

I went to SC's website and looked up dealers in Colorado. I called 6 dealers asking if they had a medium Blur XC in stock, no one did. I asked about delivery times if I put a deposit on one, and was given a wide range of opinions about how long it would take and why they were delayed. I don't want to go into the reasons because my guess is that they are very speculative.

I really like the Blur, and if the wait is two weeks I will kick myself for years for not being more patient... But if the wait is two months then I will kick myself for wasting another season on my old POS bike...:madman:

Thanks...
I've got the same issue - want a Nomad to replace my current ride and I live in CO - and the local SC dealer is strongly steering me away from the Nomad. He's got me riding anything and everything in hopes that I will change my mind, speculating that a frame order will take many months. Is anyone listening?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, not being one to simply complain, I sent an email to Santa Cruz asking this same question. I will post thier reply when I get it.

I just need a new bike, I wish I fell in love with the Yeti 5.75 and not the Blur.... I would have it already

·
Tracking up the place
627 Posts
Contact Mitch at the Fine Edge In Laramie wy...px is 307-745-4499

Also Contact Tim from Acme Cycles 605) 343-9534 He is Rapid City SD, and I know he has a trans Red Nomad built, and Ano silver heckler, and frames, not sure, But I have personally seen a Liquid Blue Nomad... Tell him Adrian Sent ya...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Boogie Man!

Great call they have them in stock! Very nice and helpful on the phone too. I live about 3 hours from CO Springs, but I may have to make the pilgramage! Total price for a Silver Anodized built bike is $3,211.26 with tax.

I kind of feel bad buying one from out of town.... I had wanted to buy my next bike from my LBS in Winter Park. I always feel sooo guilty when I need service on a bike and I didn't buy it from the person who is servicing it...

·
Registered
400 Posts
Don't feel guilty. You can't help it. I had to order my BLT online because there was no local SC dealer here in Vail, and I had a bad experience with a stoned salesman at the out of town shop that I went to. Turns out that a local shop picked up SC after I placed my order, so I figure I'll throw some business their way when I need service on it.

·
Registered
72 Posts

·
ISO Gems...
549 Posts
Yuba Expeditions....

If you're not too picky with the colors, and know that this is the frame you want, I'd give the dudes at Yuba Expeditions a call and see what they've got in stock. When we were in Downieville last month they had a whole armada of Nomads as well as other SC frames on the wall, plus they're super cool to deal with. Good luck...

D

http://yubaexpeditions.com/

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
WP Local said:
Yeti 5.75's for only $2528 with free shipping (see HOT DEALS section of MTBR.com).
Maybe I could love a Yeti....
Talk about different bikes.

The Yeti 575 is an all-mountain ride with 1.25" more travel than the Blur XC.... takes a longer fork and can handle mediums sized jumps and drops.

The Blur XC, is uber-light, can only take a 4" fork.... is meant as a pure XC machine... no jumps or drops.. and has 4.5 inches of rear travel.

What kind of riding do you do... and how much do you weigh? Maybe the Blur XC is the wrong bike... maybe not.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm 5' 7" about 145 - 150...

I know the Yeti and the Blur are vastly different... I want the blur... I have been trying to buy locally and another LBS has the Yeti, that is waht piqued my interest... i don't think the Yeti is the most appropriate choice based on some recent research..

maybe the Titus Motolite, maybe a Huffy, I'm really just about done waiting... To make maters worse my front derailure (sp) just went out on my current bike, I do not plan on putting anymore money into my current bike sooo I am now even less patient then I had been....

·
Registered
5 Posts
No my dad can not "hook you up" with a frame. Santa Cruz sells only through dealers. I have been riding a santa cruz for a year and it is the best bike on the planet. The wait is insignificant compared to the quality of design and construction. If i wated for my bike for half a year it would still be totally worth it. Hang in there, they are a great bunch of people with an excelent product.

Yes, I was wrong when I said they were disorganized and hard to deal with, I had nothing to base it on.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
You may want to consider a Turner Flux. They shold be available and they are superb bikes. They're better than the Blurs, imo, but everyone has their own opinions. You may even want to consider a Nitrous. It's an uber light 4" travel race bike. At your weight, it might be a great choice. The Flux is stronger and can hold up to small to medium jumps and drops.

Turner has the best customer service in the industry. Call them and you have a 1 in 3 chance of talking to the owner, David Turner. If something goes wrong, you will typically have a new frame (or parts) within a couple of days. Don't underestimate the importance of good customer service.

Another advantage to the FLux is that all TUrner bikes use journal bearings (high quality bushings) with zirks so that you can easily lube them in seconds. These bushings work great, have no play, are lighter than bearings and last 2-3 years or more before you have to replace them (as compared to BLur bearings which have a well documented history of going bad fast and requiring a lot of maintenance.

I've been looking at a Nomad, but I will not consider any Santa Cruz VPP until they either switch to something similar to the Turner bushings or at least fix the current bearing issues. I like to ride... not work on my bike all the time.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I tried to stay local with my blur xc as well but the local guy wanted 2000.00!!! dollars more than I was getting it for from the net. So was no question on who I was going to get it from, sorry local bike shop I tried.

I got mine from coloradocyclist and was going to tell you that as well but someone already did, and yeah they show some M in stock. The bike build was great and it arrived in a very well packed box and all was good.

Good company to deal with for sure.

And my blur xc is amazing, think maybe I got a bad backtire but wow the bike is fun.

Hardtail what? heheh.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you all for your help but...

Long story, short...

I am being fitted on my brand new, anodized, Titus Motolite tomorrow! :thumbsup:

I was patient and I waited, I emailed Santa Cruz about delivery times, they did respond ...but with questions and not with an actual answer... ah-well. (I have the email and response if anyone wants it)

I actually spent several hundred dollars more on the Titus. I almost bought a Heckler which would have saved me about $600, but the Titus made more sense for my size and build. I also got frustrated with Santa Cruz, It seems that they do not do an adaquate job of suppling their dealers with inventory or information (I called 6 dealers several days ago and no one had a Blur in stock, they also were challanged to tell me when they might expect one to come in...).

I am sure the Blur is a great bike, and would have been excited to have one...I am guessing that I won't suffer through the Motolite though.

I am really glad I am buying locally. My LBS here in Winter Park does a great job and I just wouldn't feel right buying online or from another store down in Denver or Boulder, after all they spent HOUR AND HOURS with me to help me make the right choice.

For those of you still waiting, good luck, I am sure it will be wonderful when you get it. I just don't have that kind of patience.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.