Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on mine right now, I have most it put together consisting of XC, endurance and some road. Has anyone else put theirs together?

Right now I have 18 xc races, 4 endurance and tentatively 8 road races all in the midwest KS/MO area. The only bigger race I have on my calendar is 12 miles of Hell, does anyone have any suggestions on a bigger race somewhere in the midwest or Colorado area?

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
I will be graduating from school so who knows where I'll be. But at least 13 xc races, a couple 6 hour races, a 12 hour, and a 24 hour. Yes, wisconsin, 24 hours of nine mile. Last year it was the 24 hour national championships and it is again this year! So if your good enough to hang with the pros than head east to wisconsin.

·
190lbs of climber
1,553 Posts
Racing out of Norcal:
CCCX series at Ft. Ord: 7 races of 9 (2 dropped races are allowed), Expert SS

Norcal Highschool Series: 5 or 6 races, geared of course, no point in handicapping myself

NMBS: Jr X XC, Super D, occasional sport DH, all but the east coast one, and no nationals this year as I am out of town

SeaOtter: Jr X XC and Super D

12 Hours of Weaverville: One of my favorite races of all time.

Downieville DH and XC: this needs explanation?

It's going to be a long season, but I'm not going all out for the CCCX SS series. Hopefully I won't peak too early, since I will be racing from February to August.

·
XC rider
278 Posts
You guys have your stuff together. Most of the race producers have not even published their schedules yet out here in california. I'm sticking to xc, I'm going to do the state series but I'm not sure if they are going to split the state into northern and southern. I live right in the middle and will have to make some choices.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Kind off - pretty close to but some of the events are still only maybe's as alot will depend on how the season is going and the event location. I am racing in Australia - so these events will no doubt unknown to most. The events marked with astrics are up for debate - the rest are pretty certain. All events are either marathon or 12 hours. :thumbsup:

Otway Odyssey - Victoria 03/02/2007
Tassie 12Hour - Tasmania 03/03/2007
BigHill Marathon - Victoria 18/03/2007
Dirtworks 100km - New South Wales 06/05/2007
Kooralbyn Marathon - Queensland 03/06/2007 ***
Coffs Marathon - New South Wales 01/07/2007 ***
Flight Center Epic - Queensland 25/08/2007 ***
FGP Subaru 12Hour - Victoria 15/09/2007
Gravity 12Hour - Victoria 10/11/2007
Highland Fling - New South Wales ((Date TBA))(National Marathon Championships)

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
Heck, we just raced Sat(I'm #253). Nice living in the SE in the winter. Sorta hot over the summer tho..

I do'm as they come. Nothing is written in stone except maybe some team 12 hours...

XC state series starts in March I think. Thats prolly 8-10 races.

4-5 12 Hour endurances. Some will be solo.

Snake Creek Gap 34 mile TT from Jan-Mar(above pic)

Firewater 50

Maybe the Assault on Mt Mitchell if I can swing my schedule

5-6 roadie centuries when not racing

·
Registered
443 Posts
I'll be graduating as well (WOOHOO! 11 yrs of college FINALLY coming to a phacking end!!!). The only ones I'm planning on for sure are:
2007 WVMBA Series
WVMBA #2 Sun, Apr 22 Big Bear Lake Mountain Bike Classic
WVMBA #3 Sun, May 06 Henry Clay 30K
WVMBA #4 Sun, May 20 Tour de Lake
WVMBA #6 Sun, Jun 17 Appalachian Classic
WVMBA #8 Sun, Jul 22 White Oak Challenge
and
Sep 2nd - Shenandoah Mountain 100 - VA race

Might try to do a race in the new Michaux marathon series, but will have to wait and see.

·
I'm a unitard!
1,514 Posts
I put mine together last week. I have 34 listed, but will probably end up doing around 20. That's road and mountain. Then add about 6 CX races in the fall.

Colorado? The NMBS finals are in Snowmass. Great course. Firecracker 50 is always on the 4th of July in Breckenridge. That's a great race. We also have the Mountain States Cup, which is the regional NORBA (or whatever it's called now) series.
http://www.snowmassnational.com/ (last year's site)
http://www.mavsports.com/?id=8 (Firecracker 50)
http://racemsc.com/

And of course the Winter Park series.
www.epicsingletrack.com (last year's info)

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Utah racing

In Utah, if you flex between road, mountain and cross, you can race every weekend from March through November and never leave the state.

Check it out!!
www.cyclingutah.com

This coming year will be my first in Expert, doing expert 40-49 and moving to CAT 3 for road. Should be fun and painful.

Will probably do about 20 races again just like last year. And will try to stick to the 2 hour driving rule (no participation in races further than 2 hours away).

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
bet that Snake Creek Gap TT was a mudfest, no? we were talking about it while we were doding worms coming off each other's tire spray while we were cruising the Cartersville century loop on sat.

the only thing grosser than dead wet worms is dead dried worms on your downtube! :eek:

rt

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
The first 16 mile section was pretty bad in a few sections, and was diff slower overall. The 2nd 17 mile(and after doing the 1st 16 miles, its the hardest 17 miles at race pace in the SE imho, and that includes anything Pisgah can offer) was better. Altho there was a 3-4 mile FS rd climb in the middle that was way soft clay. It just sucked the power from ones legs. Better riding the grass/deep leaves. Many are cramping by then too. 5600'+ accumilated gain. Thats the easy part. Its the brutal rock formations that beats you and the bike down all along the way. One guy finished with no front wheel.

I had a good ride tho. Been training hard the last year. I'm still recovering from being bad sick for 5 days a week ago, but I surprised myself and managed to place 2nd in the 40-49yr group(all in 1 class), and pretty decent overall even. I really really suffered tho. Tougher then the FW50 on a good day, leave alone the mud. I'm still recovering. Hit 44mph on the last descent back to the convention center..;).

Heres the results and times. The top half is the 17 mile version of it(the last 17 mile section is used for that). 3 rider waves with 1:30min breaks. Despite the weet conditions, 157 riders showed. Can't wait till the next round(Feb). I want 3:45hr(I did 4:07hr), which I think is doable if its dry and of course no mechs.

Thomas Turner is a machine.

https://www.nwgasorba.org/Snake2007/Results_Jan07.htm

Do I look tired at the finish? Tough tough race, but very satisfying also.

That is all

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
mtbfool said:
I put mine together last week. I have 34 listed, but will probably end up doing around 20. That's road and mountain. Then add about 6 CX races in the fall.
I've got 20 events so far, but some of those overlap, some I will just wimp out on, and some haven't gotten dates confirmed yet.

MTBFool - are there any must do races up in the Front Range area? I'd like to hit a couple of the MSC races, or anything else up there that is just a phenomenally good time. Mtn or Road.

·
I'm a unitard!
1,514 Posts
forkboy said:
MTBFool - are there any must do races up in the Front Range area? I'd like to hit a couple of the MSC races, or anything else up there that is just a phenomenally good time. Mtn or Road.
You can't go wrong with any of the MSC courses. I pretty much like them all. I really like the Eldora and Snowmass course. Eldora is a short course with 4 loops for expert, but the terrain is a good mix of everything. It can get a little east coastish at times. Snowmass is a big loop with epic singletrack. There is also a mystery venue that is yet to be determined. It should be a new place. Check out the thread glenzx started in the forum on the MSC website.

The Winter Park King of the Rockies/Series Finale is a pretty sweet course too.

Road? Boulder-Roubaix is fun. It's about 75% dirt roads. The gotta do it at least once and it's a ton of fun race is the Bob Cook Memorial Mount Evans Hill Climb. You get a little loopy pushing it to your VO2max when you are getting close to 14,000 ft.:crazy:
www.americancycling.org

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Almost

Last year I managed 24 races on the dirt. This year, hopefully I'll race 19.

24 Hours of Old Pueblo (duo) - Maybe... If I can actually get the bike off the trainer a couple times before then.....fricken snow.....
RPM/Yeti Spring Series - If they have 'em this year
Mountain States Cup - all XC, HC, and STXC
Boulder Short Track Series - a couple of 'em
24 Hours of Moab (team) - Hopefully a bit drier this year

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
mtbfool said:
You can't go wrong with any of the MSC courses.
Cool - Thanks.

Eldora is on the list. I've got a conflict with Snowmass & Angel Fire, but should be able to hook into a couple of the others as well.

I've gotta give the Triple Bypass a shot this year too. It's intimidated me for 3 years, so it's time to get it out of the way.

Bob Cook / Mt Evans, huh? Hmmmm... hadn't seriously thought about that one yet.

Sounds like a miserably good time the more I think about it...

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
nice job Duck! we figured that first 17 miles would be a sloppy mess. the 2nd half tends to drain a bit better but i also find it to be harder after being beat up by the first 17.

i gotta get up there and do that ride again soon. no TTing it for me though. too early in the training season for my taste.

Thomas Turner is a breed unto himself! :D

rt

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.