Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going there this weekend to ride the Cannell Plunge (shuttling) with my girlfriend and a friend from work. My girlfriend is an strong intermediate rider (good fitness, not into super technical stuff), and I wanted to find out if anyone had any thoughts on what sort of technialities this trail offers, as she is a bit nervous about the trip. Any thoughts would be appreciated...
We have ridden tons of places together and she does almost all of it with the exception of stuff like butchers in Dville. I know most of the trail is flowy sierra style riding, but are there sections of just super nasty monster rock gardens? Ive read the trail reviews, but I just wanted some thoughts from my Gnar-Cal folks....

·
Registered
249 Posts
I just rode it last weekend. The trail is in good shape. It's going to be smok'n hot down here this weekend, so be prepared for the heat when you get to "The Plunge!" It will feel like an oven the last 45 min to an hour. There's nothing death defying on the trail just use good judgment and walk, if it looks over your head.

·
ROOOOOOOO
1,669 Posts
We did it last weekend.

Take lots of water. It was cool and overcast most of the day, and I still ran out.

There's no technical until the end, and even then it's not terribly technical, but it is very sheer and loose in a lot of places.

Most of it is rolly easy singletrack / fireroad, but that rolly is rollin' at 7-9k feet, and it will exhaust you quickly. It took us 5.5 hours at a brisk pace with a few stops.

Like any sierras trip, take lots of everything, medkit, water, tubes, kitchen sink, spare clothes, etc. It was not warm when we started, but I didn't need the layers after the top.

If you have any other questions, feel free to send PM

·
1,113 Posts
Not too bad as far as tech. She can easily slow down or walk the rocky sections. Better safe tham sorry. Lots of loose areas to wash out.

She may feel it is easier than butchers, but to the rocks are dry. Vs. butchers has a bunch or sharper rocks and are wet. I find the water with clipless makes butchers more intimidating.

My experience was better at Kernville than Downieville.

Hopefully the same for you :thumbsup: Have fun.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One_Speed said:
Not too bad as far as tech. She can easily slow down or walk the rocky sections. Better safe tham sorry. Lots of loose areas to wash out.

She may feel it is easier than butchers, but to the rocks are dry. Vs. butchers has a bunch or sharper rocks and are wet. I find the water with clipless makes butchers more intimidating.

My experience was better at Kernville than Downieville.

Hopefully the same for you :thumbsup: Have fun.
thanks aaron, looking forward to riding there. you know i have no problem with whatever a trail throws at me, but i just wanted to check with some folks to make sure katie has a good time as well. she loves flowy mountain trail, loves sedona, moab, tahoe, santa cruz, etc, and just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts. the bike mag review is good, the mtbr reviews are a little on the fence, but figured some hommies might have some better insight. thanks again, i think that she will do just fine.

peace!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
I can't stress enough that it's going to be ridiculously hot here this weekend! Start over hydrated and take lots of water. By the time you get to the Plunge it will be well over 100! The top will be cool.

·
Registered
249 Posts
mtb_Canuck said:
I was just there last weekend and took lotsa pics of the trail.

http://www.pbase.com/jenn_dox/kernville
You took some great pics! I should have introduced myself when I ran into you. I was pretty wrecked from riding up there from Kville. Blue jersey with the S-works Stumpy waiting on my wife, who you rode the shuttle with. I really enjoyed your photos from White mtn and the Bishop area. Planning a trip up Silver Canyon and on to the top of White in Aug.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts