Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2003 gary fisher tassajara and its ugly as sin. it looks like a clown bike. i would like to have it painted but i could spend that money on better parts instead. so i was thinking about painting it myself. i would prob just go with matte black.

so has anyone here done it succesfully? i dont want it to be all scratched up in a week.
if you did it yourself what did you use? pics of your finished bike would be cool too.

also what tools do i need to take off the bottom bracket?

·
Registered
214 Posts
If anyone other than Fisher/Trek does it, you will void the warranty. If you don't care about the warranty, I would take it to a powder coat shop or google "bicycle painting" to look at places that are familiar with the job. Good luck. Don't go cheap, I did on a steel road bike bike and it ended up looking worse.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow really that voids the warranty? i bought this bike used from a guy who bought it from a bike rental...does the warranty still even apply to me?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Here's a bike I painted with spray cans about 4 years ago. It has a dozen or so small nicks and cable rub marks. The bike gets beat up from loose rocks and sticks on the trail and also sits on a bike rack with 2 other bikes while driving to the trail head.

I used Krylon paint and painted over the old white paint. 2-coats primer, 2 coats color, decal, 2 coats clear.

Like others have said, powder coating would be much more durable as well as automotive paints. But you'll have to spend some real money for that.

Attachments

·
Registered
555 Posts
sasquatch rides a SS said:
Powdercoat is fairly inexpensive. I got a complete frame done with a custom order color for $75 with chemical stripping and media blasting included
:eek:
Where did you get it done? It would cost almost double that just for materials using automotive paint & primer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts