Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
to a Thomson. Quite a surprise, since I noticed it only because I went to move my bike and the handlebar turned. Hadn't ridden the bike since Thanksgiving, but it was fine then. Very odd... :confused:

Face plate cracked clean through at the logo etching.

Attachments

·
Fart smeller
Tell us what parts you're using.
18,129 Posts
Never seen that happen.

iconoclaSSt said:
to a Thomson. Quite a surprise, since I noticed it only because I went to move my bike and the handlebar turned. Hadn't ridden the bike since Thanksgiving, but it was fine then. Very odd... :confused:

Face plate cracked clean through at the logo etching.
I would suspect terrorists.

fp

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I've seen it on a couple customer bikes w/Easton Carbon bars......

I suspect they were over torqued BUT - Their stems have been re-designed for 05' fwiw....

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funny...

LakeRaven said:
I changed to a different bar and it hasn't happened again. Offending bar was a Azonic double wall.

g
The bar I have on that bike is an Azonic, but it's the WF Riser (not double-walled). Strong bar. Maybe it's the result of bar impact where the bar simply transferred the loads repeatedly to the stem plate until a hairline fracture developed. That, and maybe laser etching the logo right across the thinnest part of the plate isn't the best idea. Kinda scarely, regardless.

I've got an email in to Thomson asking how I go about replacing it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another view...

That area is pretty thin...

Attachments

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
Bent a Thompson seat post once. They replaced it without issue.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just heard back from Thomson...

ibmkidIII said:
Bent a Thompson seat post once. They replaced it without issue.
Man, that was a fast turnaround!

They want me to mail it to them and they will send me a replacement, gratis and no questions asked. Gotta love that customer service. :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thomson is pretty cool. Good customer service and they do a lot to support local racing. The plant is in the town where I live and they have a little more than four miles of singletrack in the back of the property.

·
Fart smeller
Tell us what parts you're using.
18,129 Posts
Good to know.

iconoclaSSt said:
Man, that was a fast turnaround!

They want me to mail it to them and they will send me a replacement, gratis and no questions asked. Gotta love that customer service. :D
That stuff wasn't cheap. Now, when are they going to start making bars? Or, *gasp* derailleurs??? Wouldn't that be something. :cool:

fp

·
addict
158 Posts
that could have been much worse...

good thing you found it just moving your bike, and not blasting down some rocky trail.

later, j

·
I ride, therefore I am.
232 Posts
Just one time

The mechanic I worked with cracked a Thomson face plate on one of his bikes about 6 months ago. Thomson replaced it in no time. Like yours, his was also old enough to not have a serial number on it. All the newer ones are tracked with S/N's.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bars, yeah, but derailleurs, well...

Finch Platte said:
That stuff wasn't cheap. Now, when are they going to start making bars? Or, *gasp* derailleurs??? Wouldn't that be something. :cool:

fp
that's just it, as I mentioned, I hadn't been on that bike since Thanksgiving (it's a gearie and a double boinger, and the ride was in the hilly Douthat area of VeeAy). LIke my SS too much, so they can skip the derailleurs ;)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quick followup note...

Thomson made good on their promise to replace the cracked face plate. New one arrived in the mail earlier in the week and, unless I'm mistaken, it seems a little thicker in the center section. Have to compare it to one on my other bike to be sure.

Bottom line is that Thomson kicks ass on customer service. :D Now if the rain would stop, I might get out and ride!

·
PITY THE FOOL!
288 Posts
THANKSGIVING?!?!?!???

THANKSGIVING????????????

It probably broke because it was so desparate for some attention. Poor bike, sitting in your garage all alone. Watching the other bikes (I hope there are others) going and coming. I'd have fallen to pieces too if I hadn't been out for a ride since November.

Nice of Tompson to make it right.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I got 3 in the garage...

troy said:
It probably broke because it was so desparate for some attention. Poor bike, sitting in your garage all alone. Watching the other bikes (I hope there are others) going and coming. I'd have fallen to pieces too if I hadn't been out for a ride since November.
I got 3 really nice bikes in the garage and I haven't gone riding in a long time now.. **sign** not because I don't want to.

Annie <--having a rough time dealing with the lack of riding

·
Registered
462 Posts
not a surprise,

Thankfully, I haven't cracked any of those, and I got two. But when I bought my first thomson stem like that, I did wonder about the thinness of the faceplate in the center. But I just thought I was being paranoid, and though "hey, its a thomson, forget abooouut it". -t

·
Registered
735 Posts
My Thompson face plate did that also. I had forgotten about it until I was cleaning out the garage last night and found it at the bottom of my bike parts box. I am gonna call them and send it in.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts