Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
yeah, uh............bikes
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, it's freakin gross. On July 25, I found a tick on my right shin. I've found these little nasties before, so I pulled him off with some small pliers/tweezers and cleaned the site.

The little spot did not heal and began turning red in the next few days even though I kept it clean. The spot grew into a red bump on my leg about the size of a nickel with a scab in the center. Last night (Aug 4) I think I had a fever and after biking home from class today I felt like s--t and had a fever again. I don't have a rash or anything, but my eyes were sore after being in the sun.

I'm leaning toward Tularemia, but that's just from some paranoid internet hunting.

If anyone could help me out here with an idea of what I may have I would really appreciate it. Thanks

·
Registered
524 Posts
Dont pull a tick out, you can get it stuck in you. What ive found works well is if you take a lighter, heat it up(the tick), it will back out, then just flush it. Id got see a doc dude.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Rabbit fever?

FloridaFish said:
Yeah, it's freakin gross. On July 25, I found a tick on my right shin. I've found these little nasties before, so I pulled him off with some small pliers/tweezers and cleaned the site.

The little spot did not heal and began turning red in the next few days even though I kept it clean. The spot grew into a red bump on my leg about the size of a nickel with a scab in the center. Last night (Aug 4) I think I had a fever and after biking home from class today I felt like s--t and had a fever again. I don't have a rash or anything, but my eyes were sore after being in the sun.

I'm leaning toward Tularemia, but that's just from some paranoid internet hunting.

If anyone could help me out here with an idea of what I may have I would really appreciate it. Thanks
Why not go see your doctor?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Scheist!

Don't heat the tick up. This causes them to puke out tons of toxic bacteria from their gut into your bod. If you didn't have spirochetes kicking it in your bloodstream before you will now. It takes about 48 hours for the tick to transfer parasites to you. The best thing to do is to grab it as close to the skin as possible and pull it out. Then save it in a small vial and take it to the doctor. They can test the tick and culture it to see if there are bacteria that are harmful contained in the gut. This can either spare you major antibiotics that make you wanna hurl or put you on them ASAP so you avoid things like having those nasty spriochete bacteria burrow holes in your brain and nerve endings which could cause you to become crazy and stuff. Good luck, go see the doc ASAP. The longer you wait the harder it is to cure a tick borne illness.

·
yeah, uh............bikes
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
toothpuller said:
Don't heat the tick up. This causes them to puke out tons of toxic bacteria from their gut into your bod. If you didn't have spirochetes kicking it in your bloodstream before you will now. It takes about 48 hours for the tick to transfer parasites to you. The best thing to do is to grab it as close to the skin as possible and pull it out. Then save it in a small vial and take it to the doctor. They can test the tick and culture it to see if there are bacteria that are harmful contained in the gut. This can either spare you major antibiotics that make you wanna hurl or put you on them ASAP so you avoid things like having those nasty spriochete bacteria burrow holes in your brain and nerve endings which could cause you to become crazy and stuff. Good luck, go see the doc ASAP. The longer you wait the harder it is to cure a tick borne illness.
I'm away at college right now, but am heading home tomorrow so a trip to the doc will have to wait until monday. Also, I thought the bite looked better this morning but I'm kicking myself for that one because I could have seen a doctor in the student health care center. Yeah, I know I'm an idiot, but I can get antibiotics tomorrow so I'm not too worried about serious illness, and the motrin and beer are doin their magic on my fever for now.

I also wanna thank you for the horrendous nightmares I'm gonna have about spirochettes eating my brain tonight.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Didn't mean to scare you

Ticks carry a nasty type of bacteria called Spirochetes. These spiral shaped bacteria are very virulent (strong) and aggressive. They like to bury themselves in organ tissue. Relax, this only occurs after years and years of infection. This is what caused Al Capone to go bonkers. He had Syphilis which is a spirochete bacteria. Ewww!

·
what...?
695 Posts
Hey TP -
You lurkin' on this site too?? Hope you don't become a post whore like Steve3's become!!

Attention all: Listen to this dood, he knows what he's talking about.

Hope to see ya tomorrow at ES.

jeff

·
what...?
695 Posts
the moderators on our local forum won't let me put that avatar up, but I can here!

oh - I've had lyme and I don't wish that on ANYONE. Always check everywhere for tics, save them and see a doctor.
Steve - change your signature.......you ain't injury free no mo'.
jeff

·
Tear it all out!
7,739 Posts
That is no longer the prefered way to get a tick out, as they spit their guts out when you burn their butt.

Seach the net on "tick removal" for the "approved" way.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
For Lyme, they'll probably give you doxycycline(sp?), potent? yes. Side effects, I didnt have any. And FYI I have broken out with Lyme multiple times, and it sucks real bad.

Edit: Ill post some of my horror stories with Lyme.

Age 14: Rash on leg. Antibiotics...end of story..I wish.

Age 26 Finishing college. Experienced months of horrible sleep patterns, couldn't fall asleep at night, nor get up in morning. I was listless for months, though I never thoguht anything was wrong with me. A week before finals my left eye became dialated, eventually was unable to see anything but spots out of it. I could feel pressure building behind it. At the same time on the upper right part of my head there was a pain, worse than the worst migraine I had ever had. I was in bed for 9 days, during which the only thing I was able to keep down was a bag of M&Ms. The two chucklehead MDs I saw in the emergency room said I had the flu and sent me home with 2 extra strength tylenols....gee thanks. Did they not notice my dialated pupil? After 9 days I went home to see my real doctor. They took a CT scan and I went home. At 730AM New years morning, I get a semi frantic call from my doctor telling my to get to the hospital for an MRI. He said it is either a tumor, an anneurism...or nothing. It is kind of unsettling walking into the MRI room with 8 people in queue and the receptionist tells you "Hi we have been waiting for you, come on in". An hour later the radiologist told me that I had brain swelling (or was it pituatary?) and a fluid buildup, but no tumor. Test for Lyme was positive, got on doxycycline, the acute symptoms disappeared fast. Listlessness and sleep patterns persisted for months...

Same symtpoms a year later, now 27.

Age 29. Same symptoms as earlier with a twist. I started to notice random nerve twitches in my face like those annoying ones you get in the corner of your eye. Eventually over a weeks time the whole left side of my face went numb, then became paralyzed. It was like the novicane overdose my dentist gives me. I was unable to talk. It was horrible. Unfortunately my childhood doctor had passed away and I saw a new one. I walked in and said I was positive I had Lyme and to please write me a prescription and worry about the blood test later. Thankfully that was what he did. Within literally hours of the doxycycline the acute symptoms started disappearing. 4 weeks of antibiotics later and the listlessness slowly faded away.

Age 30 Its back, but wthis time it brought ith it hypertension. The Dr measured me at 210/something and put me on an EKG in the office. This was scary. She tried to tell me it wasn't Lyme related but heriditary. Sorry, there's none of that in my family, and I'm as fit as anyone you have ever seen and I eat extremely healthy. Call it a hunch, but I'm certain it was from Lyme. This points to a problem concerning Lyme and doctors. It is a relatively new disease and it is not very well understood. There is such a myriad of symptoms affecting different people and noone seems to be able to pinpoint just exactly what it does to your body.

To this day, at age 32, I have a permanently dialated left pupil. I now know that whenever I start not "feeling well" to run to the doctor. It is hard to put your finger on it because it has a way of sneaking up on you over a few months then BAM knocking you on your butt for a few weeks.

Sorry for the longish post but if you read this please realize this is not a disease you want to mess around with. If losing a few weeks or a month of your life sounds fun then Lyme is for you. If not, do what I do, bathe in deet.

PS Besides the rash when I was young I never found a deer tick stuck in me, even then I never saw a tick. My doctors have never been able to ascertain whether I never get rid of it, or if i keep getting it over and over, nor whether I have built antibodies that will always result in positive blood tests.

·
Penis Goat!
804 Posts
Don't use tweezers or a lighter, use a tick remover.

A guy at work gave me a set of them, after I mentioned I'd found a couple hiding on my legs after a mt. bike ride. They're little green plastic devices, about 2" long, and they're basically really tiny crowbars. The package comes with two; one for a small tick, and one for a larger bug. Grab the tick behind its head, and 'unscrew' the little bugger out. They're called O' Toms or Tick Twisters, and you can order them online at http://www.cspecialties.com/cart/tr.html.

Well worth the price, IMO, if you live around ticks.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Sounds good girchy. I usually dont just use a lighter to heat it up....and I just like heat up a key or something, but I wont do that anymore thanks guys. Usually I find them early in a ride, and I can just flick them. Besides the tickremovers.....what would be the best way, im all confused now. My bro-in-law actually told me to heat them up...but I only did that once. Are tweezers ok, because thats what ive heard.....but it just seems bad to me to pull it out. I know when you heat up ticks they can die when you burn them. All I did was just tap it with a semi-warm key.....it wasnt hot to me even. It was still alive, just backed out....trapped it, then flushed it. So I shouldnt do that anymore? Good thing tick seasons over for around here.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
A freind of mine and her dog both have lyme disease. Very scary stuff. Like Managuense says it's really bad. Sorry you have to go thruough that. I'm glad I read your post, I'm going to be more careful and consistant about checking for ticks while and after riding.

·
Tear it all out!
7,739 Posts
Wow! That is quite the horror story. Hopefully the doxycycline perscription I received prevents getting Lyme disease. Thanks for posting.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts