Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning a trip a Arizona, Utah, and Texas (I'm from Ontario, by the way). I was channel surfing and ran into a program about these bees. They said they'll chase for a good 800 meters to over a kilometer from the nest, and it doesnt take much to piss them off. I guess these bees are a real concern in rural areas and are kept under sontrol, but they are not controlled in wild areas, just like where some of the best trails run through.

Just wondering if anyone's ever encountered or got chased/stung by these bees before.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
bagz007 said:
I was planning a trip a Arizona, Utah, and Texas (I'm from Ontario, by the way). I was channel surfing and ran into a program about these bees. They said they'll chase for a good 800 meters to over a kilometer from the nest, and it doesnt take much to piss them off. I guess these bees are a real concern in rural areas and are kept under sontrol, but they are not controlled in wild areas, just like where some of the best trails run through.

Just wondering if anyone's ever encountered or got chased/stung by these bees before.
I have not but I watched one kill a cougar! :eek: The bear got away.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I am obviously not from any of those areas, but I have read and seen programs saying that the Killer Bees are basically not a threat in most of the Southwestern US because they haven't moved into that area in abundance. All those stories that were blown out of proportion a few years back were basically the media and such grabbing onto some gossip and BS and doing what they do best. I hope no one takes this the wrong way, but basically the Media and the Gov't have grown so good at keeping the public in a state of fear they can basically sell anything they want to to the American public. Killer Bees may be a problem in some of the Southern most states down in the Southwest, I don't know personally, but I am sure it is very few and far between. Go to Arizona, you'll probably get shot in Texas, j/k. Good luck planning your trip, I plan on going to the SW sometime this summer or fall, AZ, Colorado or MOAB.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The swarms are awesome

I live and ride in Tucson and have seen the bees swarming on occasion, during a ride. We had stopped for a break in a saddle and suddenly noticed a humming/buzzing noise. When we looked up to see what it was, thousands and thousands of bees were flying just above our heads. It was a bit spooky and scary, being out in the open like that, with nowhere to run if we needed to. But like seeing rattlers and gila monsters and other critters, it was also very neat. Just glad they kept going.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
bagz007 said:

If you're in decent shape you can run a kilometer, right? If you have to run - run upwind.

·
Registered
163 Posts
pacman said:
If you're in decent shape you can run a kilometer, right? If you have to run - run upwind.
or bike it for that matter -- even easier.

as i understand it, it takes hundreds of bee stings to kill something as big as a human or couger (essentially causing death from the allergic reaction to the stings). you can take a few hits and still get away ok. just remember that the more stings you incur, the more allergic you'll be to bees in the future.

·
Registered
13 Posts
jonwebah said:

as i understand it, it takes hundreds of bee stings to kill something as big as a human or couger (essentially causing death from the allergic reaction to the stings). you can take a few hits and still get away ok. just remember that the more stings you incur, the more allergic you'll be to bees in the future.
The danger of these bees are the incredibly aggressive traits that set them apart from other variaties of bees. They won't give up after a kilometer, once the chemical message to swarn you is given they go til they cant or cant find you. If they do target something the size of a human they will sting thousands of times. Victims have been found with stings on the welts of stings laid half an hour earlier.

That aside, you're in no danger at all in those areas from these bees probability wise. Arizona, Utah and Texas in particular have far, far more things to watch out for compared to Ontario but Killer Bees are low on the list. In the nice places to ride Texas the biggest threat in the desert is falling down. Same with Arizona and Utah :D

After that, don't screw with rattlers, don't panic in the very very unlikely off chance you are bitten, generally where there are rattlers there is someone with antivenom and you have plenty of time if you relax and stay cool you'll likely only get really really sick anyway. In the hilly, wet eastern parts of Texas there is just plain more life, and more competition, more things to bite and sting you. If you step in Fire Ants (I don't think there are many others anymore, the fire ants have killed most of them), get a good ways from the mound before stopping to pick the buggers off you because the rest are on their way and will follow if you're within a few feet. Most things alive will only be painful nusiances when encountered, enjoy your ride and don't sweat it. The wildlife is fun to observe!

Really though, you are more likely to find Barbara Bush and Britney Spears sharing a well hung donkey in the woods than killer bees. Mosst of the bees you see will be quite ordinary.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
jonwebah said:

If you are already in motion and the trail is going in the right direction. I assumed that bagz007 wasn't concerned about biking a whole kilometer :) . Just remember that if you intend to mount a bike and flee, a small mistake (damn clipless!) can be fatal. If I were off the bike sprinting on foot would be an easy choice. (BTW, Chases my be up to 150 yards)

Some facts from http://www.csupomona.edu/~ehs/ftp/NewsletterBee2004.pdf

For a normal, healthy person to receive a deadly
dose of bee venom, it would take about 10 stings
for each pound of body weight, or 1,500 stings for
a 150-pound person.​

Africanized bees do swarm more often
than domestic bees, but they are actually less
dangerous at that time because they do not have a
nest to protect. However if you encounter a swarm,
move away slowly and don't bother the bees. If the
swarm is near people or confined animals, contact​
authorities for removal.​

·
hands up who wants to die
1,405 Posts
Wait - this post isn't a joke?

oops..

how about those rabid mule deer? I don't think I could pedal fast enough to get away. Drunk ******** with shotguns in Chevys are fast too.

-r

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Those were a common occurence at my hometown area when I started riding years (15)ago.

It takes the same to piss them off than any other bee or hornet or wasp (we had them all back there). I'd even say wasps are far more easier to piss off and really painful stings they have... and they can sting more than once (if my memory/knowledge is not so off).

Here in the mexican country you might find some blue boxes hanging from trees which had some kind of bee-attract substance and a bee-venom bate inside. Those are for "killer" bees.

There had been cases of small kids killed by africanized bees but assomeone said it's more an allergic reaction than anything else.

Don't worry. Just stay away from flower or sweet fruits plantations if you're chicken enough.

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
I'm with KungFuDevil, this was a cartoonish media segment. When you think about how every day and night they need to come up with riveting stories, it's not surprising.

I also saw the segment debunking this Africanized/Euro bee urban myth. It's toeing the line of racism, quite frankly.

And no, it's not necessary to start a whole new tangent about THAT. I'm just quoting the program (which also talked about how media portrays "black crime" vs. "white crime" in the process.)

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
My sister lives in L.A. and had the killer bees in the roof over her front porch. The exterminators pulled out 200 lbs of honey/bee stuff (which was full of pesticide so it couldn't be eaten). And it was in a good neighborhood too! How dare they!

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
well that's a no brainer...

1) it's Texas and 2) it's the USA.

It's your gawd given right to carry weapons, especially for cougars and bears, so just take along that assault rifle and shoot he// outta them foreigner-type bees. If you take down a fellow rider or hiker, hey, it's just self defense and an"accident".

Jim

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
JimC. said:
1) it's Texas and 2) it's the USA.

It's your gawd given right to carry weapons, especially for cougars and bears, so just take along that assault rifle and shoot he// outta them foreigner-type bees. If you take down a fellow rider or hiker, hey, it's just self defense and an"accident".

Jim
I would use a flame thrower, like in "The Thing". Gotta love a flame thrower!

·
Registered
245 Posts
swarm of bees

same thing happen to me when one of my friend and i were resting. we heard a loud buzz and look up at the at a sky of dark matter. i instinctively0 crouch down and stop my breathing or slow down my breath, knowing the bees attack people by the CO2. They flew only a feet or two off the ground and last for 10-20 second but it is one of the scarest thing ever happen to me. i felt pretty luck, becasue we were planning to head up that direction. if my friend didn't suggest to stop, we would hit the the bees and who knows what will happen to us.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.