Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
Tannus tubeless armour that I have had for a year that got pulled out of their boxes last weekend. My 5 and 7 yo brought them out to celebrate the opening of the swimming pool.

Also an intend stem sitting on my workbench for over 8 weeks now. I like to go into the garage, crack a beer, and just look at it. Will see how long that goes before the novelty wears off and I install it

·
Registered
Getting too old for this...
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
This is good stuff. Like a therapy group of sorts.

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
Occasionally Cranky
5,091 Posts
Thanks for reminding me. I need to locate the chain checker and see if it's time to install a new chain...pretty sure it's getting close. If it is, I'll be down to only 3.

·
Registered
Getting too old for this...
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I will confess the AXS drivetrain was almost bought as a challenge. I couldn't get the parts through my normal source, cranks were 2 months minimum, chain was 6 months, cassettes were 2 weeks, etc. So after trying to figure that all out, I found a retail store online that had the whole thing in stock, and saved a few hundred on top of it. So it was like a sick conquest of some kind. That, and the weather has been so cold here that until now, I would have had to haul the bike in my basement and bring all my tools to do any work.

Having extra wearable parts nowadays is really smart I guess. I didn't believe it too much as I wasn't looking for anything. I'm getting psyched up now to start putting some projects in play.

·
Registered
118 Posts
That AXS XX1 looks sweet. Maybe next year, or the year after. Depends on how long before my XT/XTR 12 speed stuff breaks :/. Already wore out a derailleur after 2 years.
Good thing it’s not the other way around and waiting for SRAM X01/XX1 stuff to break or wear out, because you would be waiting along time.

·
always licking the glass
2,656 Posts
Good thing it’s not the other way around and waiting for SRAM X01/XX1 stuff to break or wear out, because you would be waiting along time.
Yeah Shimano totally screwed up with their 12 speed stuff. Then the shop showed me the AXS. Honestly, the only reason i went to shimano was because of light action but the AXS changes that because it’s pushing a button and not a throw (i have limited mobility in my right wrist after breaking it in 3 places in 2007). So AXS changes the game for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm usually one to install a new part within a few days of receiving it with only a few exceptions. Got a new set of 27.5 wheels for my wifes bike a couple months ago.. but no tires for them. So there are sitting in the corner waiting with the dropper post for her bike.

I have way more spare chains and brake pads at the moment due to supply issue fears, I usually don't have them at home as my local shop is super convenient to stop by for me . Had a devil of a time getting spare brake pads for one of my bikes with SLX M7120 calipers, for some reason the finned replacement pads straight up didn't exist and I had to look around pretty hard to source a couple sets of non finned pads.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I will confess the AXS drivetrain was almost bought as a challenge. I couldn't get the parts through my normal source, cranks were 2 months minimum, chain was 6 months, cassettes were 2 weeks, etc. So after trying to figure that all out, I found a retail store online that had the whole thing in stock, and saved a few hundred on top of it. So it was like a sick conquest of some kind. That, and the weather has been so cold here that until now, I would have had to haul the bike in my basement and bring all my tools to do any work.

Having extra wearable parts nowadays is really smart I guess. I didn't believe it too much as I wasn't looking for anything. I'm getting psyched up now to start putting some projects in play.
axs is so easy to install, get at it! So worth it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I like having spare parts that I know I'll eventually use (chains, brake pads, maybe a cassette...). Some may sit on the shelf for a couple of years until I need them.

Otherwise, no. I don't buy things I don't need.

·
Registered
14,380 Posts
It's like a mental block or something. I've done this several times in the past. I get all excited, buy the stuff...anxiously wait for the UPS guy to show up, even paying for faster shipping sometimes...and then I let it all sit in the box. Scared to go for it. Contemplating selling it and moving on.

Am I alone here? Why is there such a mental block. It's only things I really don't need. And my brains says "don't be an idiot, keep what you have."

I have a whole box of drivetrain parts sitting here. Good stuff too, AXS XX1. XC biker here. 2 weeks on, still haven't even taken it up to the garage to begin.

Ugh.
I have a new set of brakes I bought for my winter bike and didn't get around to installing the last couple months. I was just too lazy. They'll go on over the summer so the bike is ready for the wet season next fall.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If I know I will need something or want something then I will sometimes keep an eye out for a bargain and buy it cheaply in advance instead of paying full whack when I actually need it but beyond that I get far too excited for new parts.

Selling the parts they replaced is another matter. Thats just pure laziness on my part.

·
Cycologist
7,539 Posts
Though I may be a little slow in installing new parts, I do install them. I do have a cheap green road saddle I've never installed and I recently picked up a rear rack and bag for cheap off of Nextdoor that I'm not sure how I will use. It currently is mounted on one of my bikes but I'll take it off later today to ride tomorrow. And I have a complete groupo for my CX I picked up that will probably sit around awhile before it gets installed as the bike still works, just want lower gearing and it's 10sp vs 9 so I need to do a full swap.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I don't generally or normally have new spare/extra parts. However, now I have a couple of extra sets of tires--one pair for each bike, a bunch of organic brake pads, and a couple of chains. I go through pads about every 300-400 miles depending on some variables. Tires, depending on which (front or rear) last about 500-600 miles. I did just get an extra new Rekon rear because they wear stupid fast. I am running XX1 drivetrains now and from what I can tell, the chains last F-O-R-E-V-E-R! Probably don't need them for the foreseeable future, but its not like they go bad. Last XX1 cassette lasted about 1800 miles. I should get another Wolf Tooth front ring for each bike (they use different offsets but otherwise the two drivetrains are identical). I have not been terribly impressed with the SRAM XX1 Eagle chainrings. They seem to wear quickly. I roll on 32 tooth rings. 34 is a bit too tall for me where I live and 30 is just too small. Maybe a good idea to get one set of rotors too...
Does this make me a "preper?" Haha!

·
Single Track Mind
768 Posts
If I buy new parts, they tend to go on almost immediately; however, I did buy a Sram 11 speed cassette for my gravel bike, but decided on the mullet 12 speed before I put the 11 speed on. I probably need to get around to selling it. I also have a small cache of brake pads, chains, housing, cables, seals, bearings JIC I can't get them over the summer. I'll probably buy a cassette and chain, and an MTB tire set in May to see me through the for next few months.

When I take parts off, I tend to keep them around. I have the space and you never know. We found a busted up 2005ish Marin hardtail for really cheap, but it had been left outside for years. Got it home, stripped it down, cleaned it up and built in back up as a 12 speed 1X with XO brakes and a dropper post. It is seriously overbuilt, but it's a really fun campground bike.

A month or so ago, my buddy decided he wanted to get back into riding a bit on his circa 2000 Schwinn Moab. The shifters were roached but the bike was otherwise solid. I had an ancient set of used SLX 9 speed shifters in my box. Wam-bam...good to go.

I probably have everything I need to build a gravel bike right now, but am hesitant to sell anything. I'm seriously considering the Evil Hagar and I could swap everything from my current ride, build the frame back up and sell the old bike for a couple grand.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have a new set of Deity TMacs in silver that are just sitting around uninstalled. Didn't realized their silver has a very bluish tint to it and wasn't what I was looking for. My other silver components don't have any tint and i'm not a fan of mismatched variations of the same color. Would've returned them and exchanged for black but the black were out of stock so they've basically just been sitting around.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
I have some upgrades on my workbench, but tend to put off the installation for fear of screwing it up, or it not going according to plan.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I'm only supposed to buy things based on immediate need.

But things sometimes go sideways, and after 20+ years... there are boxes in the basement.

Most of them eventually get used for something, although years of depreciation makes the economics of it dubious.

·
Pro Crastinator
11,282 Posts
the 'Rona coming thru stopped my build. after it sat there long enough, it just kinda left my headspace. i've got other bikes that work just fine and i ride them, so i just keep 'forgetting' about it..

41 - 60 of 67 Posts