Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Same here.

I also find bikes pretty easy to work on so there's no feeling of "scared to go for it". My van elicits that fear and hesitation though. I had a power steering rack, pump, and tie rod ends sitting on a shelf in my garage for 2 years before I installed them (the leak was easy to live with). I'm also not looking forward to dropping the gas tank to replace a few hoses and some other work this weekend.
I've done full engine/transmission swaps in my garage with hand tools. Once you do one, the fear goes away. That and your buddies telling you to stop being a pussy and just do it helps lol.

·
Titanium Junkie
Why Cycles S7
1,678 Posts
You are buying stuff to fill an emotional void. Then when you get the part and it doesn't fill the void. You are left empty and have to buy more
^ this. I catch myself doing it a fair amount. Also, a lot of the excitement is in the research, reviews, forums, etc. but I often find that as soon as I click the "buy" button and its on the way the high is gone and I am looking for something else. That's why that comment resonates with me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought a new love doll, her name is Alexis. My wife got jealous, so she just sits in the box in my shed. Like a new bike, she just needs a little air in her, then you can ride her for hours. I wonder if she’s lonely...

·
Registered
21 Posts
So many new parts... Usually wear items like cassettes and chains that I got on sale. Then they just get loaded into tote bins in the garage (Hoarders style.) I did an ebike conversion on my old Surly Big Dummy and found an entire new 11-speed Shimano transmission in the tote bins. Turns out the 46 cog was way too big for something with a motor. Fortunately, I also had an entire new 10-speed Shimano transmission with an 11-36 cassette. The 11-speed is now on my Kona Unit, which I use for winter offroad riding (for the minimum number of moving parts without running a single speed.) I think I have a couple of new 9-speed shifters and derailleurs floating around. But I cleared out all of the 5-8 speed stuff around 5 years ago.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I bought a new love doll, her name is Alexis. My wife got jealous, so she just sits in the box in my shed. Like a new bike, she just needs a little air in her, then you can ride her for hours. I wonder if she’s lonely...
Don’t forget the lube.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
1,652 Posts
I have some uninstalled brake adapters.. but they were a bit hard to find to clear my calipers when I was building my hardtail, so I have some in the parts bin.. other than that, the parts bin is full of takeoffs... I do have a couple complete drivetrains in there though. Handy when it's time for a new full squish.

·
Live 2 Ride
6,083 Posts
Yeah I did that. Actually it was quite recent. Wanted a 51 tooth in the back for climbing so I ordered a wide range 8 speed cassette for the bike a few months ago. Since I never use a few of the speeds on my 2X10 setup I thought going back to an 2X8 would be better. Never put it on. I didn't want to go through the hassle of removing the 2X10 drivetrain I have. Long story short I just left the 2X10 on the bike. It only has a 42 tooth for climbing but for now, that's fine.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I buy something because I need it. So no, I can't relate.
This ^^^^^^ I really am surprised at the number of shopping addicts in here.

Edit -once that box of parts arrives at the door, the wife knows that's the end of any meaningful communication from me for the next few hours. Dinner goes cold, it gets dark, the world could end, and I wouldn't even notice 😁

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,520 Posts
This has happened to me a few times when I’ve bought and “extra” of some wear item, like a chain, tire, or cassette. By the time I would need them, I’ve moved on to a different drivetrain or taste in tires.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I only have one working bike right now (2012 Jamis Dragon 650b hardtail) so I tend to buy and keep stuff around that I might need so that I don't miss days of riding waiting for stuff to arrive. Examples include my favorite brake pads, cables, or an extra chain. Sometimes if I go to a bike shop and find something I like such as grips that feel really good, I might pick them up, keep them around and put them on when needed. More recently, I knew my MRP Loop fork was going to need service soon so again, to avoid down time, I went on ebay and picked up a budget X-Fusion Enix fork to have ready when it was time for the fork service. Of course, that resulted in me buying an extra crown race, Velofuze adapter to convert my thru axle hub hub to the 9mm Enix dropouts, and a DT RWS skewer. So yeah, I'm always thinking about my bike and wondering "What do I need?" Maybe it's time to just get another bike. 😃

·
Registered
Getting too old for this...
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
You are buying stuff to fill an emotional void. Then when you get the part and it doesn't fill the void. You are left empty and have to buy more
This is true. I budget every year for bike stuff. I also keep bikes a very long time. My last bike I rode for 15 years, the one before that for 10. I’m on year 5 of my current one. So with the last 2 years not buying anything, the money was waiting for a new major bike purchase that never came. Every week a few bucks goes in, and it adds up. Clothes, chains, race fees, shoes, I’m ready to go.
The emotional element is such a factor though. I’ve been a mtbr for 30 years, and big bmxer before that. So buying a few new parts has always been a fun way to keep me going.

·
Registered
943 Posts
All the time, have a set of SC reserve wheels sitting in the kitchen a push 11-6 shock in the garage, another carbon wheelset sitting around, several sets of pedals, grips and a sram group set.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
I've done it in the past. The parts sat for months before I installed them. A lot of times its stuff I don't really need. I'll buy just because its a good deal...and not that I need it.

I do the same with my car parts too. I currently have some car parts that I bought months ago. They are still sitting in the box they got delivered in.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I would never pay extra for quicker shipping, but I had a set of XTR 9020 brakes (no longer made) that I never installed. I ended up selling these and luckily made $50, only because I bought them cheap. I now have a set of XT 8120 4 pot that I was going to install on a bike I was going to buy, but the other bike I now have on order already comes with these XT brakes. A different dilema I now have is, should I sell these since they are sold out everywhere, or keep as spares.

Sometimes, especially now you have to buy early to plan a build and if you don’t end up using, sell em, or keep as a spare. I also have other parts bought well ahead of time that I intend to Install, but want to try out the stock parts first, (Shimano drivetrain) to see how I like it first.

I have some AR-15 parts that I never installed and they are still patiently sitting there. Does this count?

·
always licking the glass
2,656 Posts
No, unless it’s backup parts: which this year apparently consists not only of chains, tires, and brake pads, but also a saddle, shifters, derailleurs, chainrings, cassettes, and rotors. Yes, i have a problem but once summer hits, you won’t be able to find anything. And the way Shimano 12 speed stuff is breaking, i bought some SLX stuff for backups.

Otherwise, I install it as soon as i get it, or get on the shop’s schedule ASAP when i know it’s coming in. Sent off some suspension bits to be retuned. As soon as UPS delivers those bad boys, they get slapped on the bikes.

That AXS XX1 looks sweet. Maybe next year, or the year after. Depends on how long before my XT/XTR 12 speed stuff breaks :/. Already wore out a derailleur after 2 years.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts